The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Yes, the Artist II has phantom power capabilities. I vaguely recall when he introduced that at NAMM

. https://www.schattendesign.com/artist_preamp.htm

BTW, an Artist II system plus volume control is currently on ebay for $70 ($50 plus $20 shipping). Somebody please buy it before curiosity gets the best of me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schatten-HF.../223289760081?
Go ahead...consider it a late Christmas gift for yourself!
Old 12-26-2018, 03:08 PM

The only reason the active version appeals to me is that at the school I teach at, I often perform at lunch for the students and often I just run into the di on stage. It would be nice to be able to have a hot signal with a bit of eq on board.

I actually purchased a Bouzouki recently as well. I am considering trying the HFN in it, even though it might be hard to get my hand in the sound hole to apply enough pressure.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:46 PM

Might have missed someone mentioning this but it looks like Schatten updated their website. I quite like the new look.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Might have missed someone mentioning this but it looks like Schatten updated their website. I quite like the new look.
Yes I did mention that they were in the process of updating it. I just checked it out thanks for sharing.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yes I did mention that they were in the process of updating it. I just checked it out thanks for sharing.
Would have been nice to see a write up on why they switched to abs but I feel that they are trying to make a subtle change here.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Would have been nice to see a write up on why they switched to abs but I feel that they are trying to make a subtle change here.
The following is from the email I got from Les a while ago:

"The difference in sound quality between the rosewood base and the printed ABS base is basically zero. We're getting a fraction more output from the ABS, that's about the only discernible difference. By 3D printing the bases we're able to set the densities, air chambers, and
transmissive properties within the structure. The outer design of the pickup base is the same as it was with the rosewood, perhaps just not as pretty with the ABS.

We're just in the process of re-doing the whole website and updating photo's and information. I apologize for still showing the rosewood.

Les"

Hopefully this will help clear some things up.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The following is from the email I got from Les a while ago:

"The difference in sound quality between the rosewood base and the printed ABS base is basically zero. We're getting a fraction more output from the ABS, that's about the only discernible difference. By 3D printing the bases we're able to set the densities, air chambers, and
transmissive properties within the structure. The outer design of the pickup base is the same as it was with the rosewood, perhaps just not as pretty with the ABS.

We're just in the process of re-doing the whole website and updating photo's and information. I apologize for still showing the rosewood.

Les"

Hopefully this will help clear some things up.
C'mon, Les, how about a choice of buying a Rosewood base HFN or an ABS base HFN? Why restrict buyers?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
C'mon, Les, how about a choice of buying a Rosewood base HFN or an ABS base HFN? Why restrict buyers?
Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit of offering both?
Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit of offering both?
Some folks may like to stay with wood ... maybe ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-27-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Some folks may like to stay with wood ... maybe ...
Guys my Schatten story just keeps getting better. Had the pickup installed for a few days now with the putty and it's actually a few dB louder than my Anthem SL equipped Gibson now. I never touched anything since so I'm wondering if the putty cured or something of that nature.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Guys my Schatten story just keeps getting better. Had the pickup installed for a few days now with the putty and it's actually a few dB louder than my Anthem SL equipped Gibson now. I never touched anything since so I'm wondering if the putty cured or something of that nature.
I am assuming this is run through a preamp first?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I am assuming this is run through a preamp first?
Not at all! Straight into the Fishman Amp. I still can't believe how good it sounds. The Anthem is arguably the most popular system as of today and this simple little Schatten pickup that hardly anyone knows about completely blows it out of the water!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Not at all! Straight into the Fishman Amp. I still can't believe how good it sounds. The Anthem is arguably the most popular system as of today and this simple little Schatten pickup that hardly anyone knows about completely blows it out of the water!
I could be wrong but isn’t the amp acting like a preamp? I only ask because when I first tried my schatten it was through a preamp and it sounded amazing. I tried it later going direct into my qsc k12 and it sounded thin and terrible. Not a downside at all but I feel the passive version needs a preamp.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong but isn’t the amp acting like a preamp? I only ask because when I first tried my schatten it was through a preamp and it sounded amazing. I tried it later going direct into my qsc k12 and it sounded thin and terrible. Not a downside at all but I feel the passive version needs a preamp.
Yes the amp would be acting as a preamp in this instance. I thought you meant did I run it into a preamp first.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:07 AM

All this talk about Schatten pick ups has me jonesing for one. I live just a few hours away from them so supporting local is always nice. I have an Eastman E100-LTD, Which is a 00 12 fret that needs a pick up.

I am not adverse to having a battery and wiring in my instrument. I also like the idea of a volume and tone wheel so I am thinking of the active pick up. GuitarLuva, I know you have gone with the passive version, any BIG reason why, better sound or you just prefer the simplicity of the passive

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification