The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2022, 06:52 PM

Default Mixer Decision Made Final

I've researched for days, but I finally made up my mind, and I hope I made the correct decision. My setup will be used mainly for playing my acoustics and for vocals, for small crowd settings, maybe from 30 up to 200 people at most, but some will be Outdoors. I debated between the Yamaha MG12XU and the Allen & Heath Zed-10FX. In the end, I decided to go with the A&H Zed-10FX. I also researched microphones, and while I have had experience with the Sennheiser E935, and I really liked it, I wanted to try something different this time around, so I ended up going with the Heil PR37 this time. My next purchase will be for the two Active Speakers, and after alot of research, Although, a little more pricey than I wanted to spend, due to the good reviews, I am currently looking at two of the Yamaha DXR12's, or maybe the DXR15's, but I believe the 12's would probably be plenty for me, and I'm thinking they may actually produce a better sound for vocals over the 15's? My main acoustics are a 2011 Taylor 816CE with the factory ES system, and a Blueridge BR-140CE with the factory Fishman Presys+ Preamp. This system sound like a decent, reliable setup for what I want?

Thanks

2014 Blueridge BR-140CE Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

2008 Takamine EG440C-Transparent Black Quilted Maple(Campfire Guitar)

2007 Blueridge BR-43 Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Mahogany Back and Sides
Old 05-02-2022, 07:00 PM

Your suggestion of 12"s being better for vocals than 15"s is a generally held view and certainly supported by my experience.

DXR12's are a very safe bet. Invest in the Yamaha covers as well.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:36 PM

Thanks! What's everyone's thoughts on the Yamaha DBR12 and 15's compared to the DXR12 and 15's? The DBR series sure are alot more affordable than the DXR series, would the DBR work plenty good for what I want them for, or is the DXR series just waaayyy better, and worth twice as much? The only active speakers I have had experience with are the Behringer B215D's, so I'm not sure how the Yamaha's would compare to those, but I'm thinking any of the Yamaha's would probably be on a different level than the Behringer B215D?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2022, 09:55 PM

No first hand experience with the Yamahas, but with qsc I prefer 10s to 12s, so you may want to include 10s into the mix. Acoustic doesn’t need low freq extension and I find the 10s speak better than the 12s (again, with qsc). Ymmv.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-03-2022, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
...you may want to include 10s into the mix. Acoustic doesn’t need low freq extension and I find the 10s speak better than the 12s...
This is a good point. I have DXR12s for normal and DXR8s for compact. They still pack an impressive bark.

I hear great things about QSC from people who know both. Funny, I don't think I've come across anyone using the DBRs.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:16 AM

I have DXR10s and DBR10s. Subtle differences between the two. I think you'd be happy either way. At my one practice space we use DXR10s with an Allen and Heath mixer and a Harbinger sub.

The DBR are lighter than the DXR. To my ears, the higher frequency range is more pronounced with the DXR line.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:53 AM

I’ve been through a lot of powered speakers over the last decade. EV, JBL, QSC. I’d settled on K10s and K10.2s. Another great speaker is the EV ETX 10.

When I first started playing music I had a very old pair of unpowered EAWs that sounded pretty darn good. A year ago I came across the EAW RS series. I thought they looked quite impressive at their price point. I purchased a couple RS123 boxes and I have since sold every other powered speaker in my rig. They are that good.

Wood enclosure, 12” speaker, and to my ear they are better than anything else that I’ve used. They have gone up in price since that time but they are still worth their current retail. I’d definitely give them a look.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:58 PM

Thank You for all of the help. After much research, and with all of the great help here, I went ahead and purchased Two of the DXR12MKII's. Figured it would be better to spend the extra now and go with the better ones.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:57 PM

Great choice on the DXR12s! I prefer the A&H as well, and the Zed series overall is fabulous (I use the zed6fx when solo) and another I know has used the zed14 (?) for many years: solid performers. And the Heil is also excellent. I love my e935 (and admittedly have Sennheiser love all around ), but I've sung through a Heil vocal (can't recall the model) and it was crisp and pleasing, and needed precious little eq.

You're rockin it, sir!

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification