The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2016, 09:43 PM

Default Played an unexpectedly wonderful guitar today -- Yamaha FG800

Had some errands to run earlier today and thought I'd stop by the local Guitar Center to see what they had in the high-end acoustic room (they keep it pretty well stocked for a Guitar Center in my opinion) and check out a couple small tube amps.

There were a couple guys playing plugged in in the nice acoustic room and I wanted nothing to do with that. So I quickly walked right back out and started to look around the larger acoustic room at the less expensive models. My eye was drawn to a really sharp looking dreadnought guitar -- it was the new Yamaha FG800. This one had a vintage toner applied to the top. I had recently read some good things about this guitar, so I picked it up and figured I'd strum a few chords and put it back.

Wow. I strummed more than a few chords.

It sounded really good. Like, check the price tag good. What? Two hundred bucks? It's crazy how good this guitar sounded and looked at that price point. Yamaha must be using some nice spruce and some nice, responsive bracing on these guitars. The sound was just really rich and clear with plenty of volume.

Now, I'm not going to give up my ideas of getting a Martin D-18 or Collings D1 or similar. The Yamaha obviously wasn't in that league in terms of overall sound or looks or quality. But that said, if I had any need for an inexpensive guitar -- and believe me, I was trying to think of one -- I'd have left with that guitar.

So, if you or someone you know is looking for a nice entry-level dreadnought guitar, look no further than the Yamaha FG800. Great guitar for the money that sounds and looks like it should cost quite a bit more.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 PM

Yep, got mine three weeks ago. Unbelievable guitar, regardless of price. Used 15% off coupon on Labor Day. Paid $174. Insane price for this guitar. Here's mine:
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 PM

My experience as well ataylor. Except I went back & bought one in vintage toner. So good.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Sold all my more expensive guitars but my favorite. I like to have a second guitar around for the occasional player that visits my home. This was it for me. Yamaha's new bracing has replaced a good $200 value model with a great $200 value model. Solid Spruce top, laminated back and sides and new scalloped bracing. I got a "C" stock FG 800 with a shipping damage crack for $75, delivered. Bonus is that I have an opportunity to expand my amateur Luthier skills beyond saddle, tuners, fret dressing, pick up installation/removal and set up. I haven't had the courage to do a nut replacement myself on my pricey guitars, so I get to try doing a crack repair and nut replacement relatively risk free. When I'm done I'll post a thread with the new bone nut, saddle, tuners, crack repair and a sound clip. I love tinkering!

Last edited by j.blay; 10-02-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

What strings are people using on this guitar? I played a few at my local Guitar Center and the guitars were super bright. Too bright for me. But, I keep going back and hoping for a different result. Would love to have one for when friends come over to play.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
Sold all my more expensive guitars but my favorite. I like to have a second guitar around for the occasional player that visits my home. This was it for me. Yamaha's new bracing has replaced a good $200 value model with a great $200 value model. Solid Spruce top, laminated back and sides and new scalloped bracing. I got a "C" stock FG 800 with a shipping damage crack for $75, delivered. Bonus is that I have an opportunity to expand my amateur Luthier skills beyond saddle, tuners, fret dressing, pick up installation/removal and set up. I haven't had the courage to do a nut replacement myself on my pricey guitars, so I get to try doing a crack repair and nut replacement relatively risk free. When I'm done I'll post a thread with the new bone nut, saddle, tuners, crack repair and a sound clip. I love tinkering!
Cool, let us know how that progresses.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-03-2016, 06:52 AM

The FS830 is on my wish list
Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
What strings are people using on this guitar? I played a few at my local Guitar Center and the guitars were super bright. Too bright for me. But, I keep going back and hoping for a different result. Would love to have one for when friends come over to play.
I am playing D'Addario phosphor bronze 11's. They sound great on my guitar. Not too bright IMO.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 AM

I wish they would do the vintage tint on the 830 with the Rosewood back and sides
Old 10-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Yes, that vintage tint on the 800 is great. I also like the brown sunburst on the 800 offered at Kraft Music, which I think is an exclusive, at least in the U.S.A. I just wish I could see it in person.

The 830 does have a sunburst but it's a slightly different version, from pictures I see online, with a center that is more red than golden as on the 800 exclusive.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks a lot guys, you just made me buy another acoustic! I just pulled the trigger on an FG 800 in Sand Burst. I was having trouble deciding which color to buy, but I don't have a sunburst acoustic and have been wanting one. I usually play Martin and Gibson mahogany guitars, but this one sounds like too good of a deal to pass up. How can they sell a solid spruce top guitar with scalloped bracing for that price? I'll give it a chance, and if I don't like it, I won't take a big hit on a resale, especially as I got it for 15% off at MF, plus used Backstage Pass points and a gift certificate. Yes, I have too many guitars, but life is short and I play them and enjoy them all.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Thanks a lot guys, you just made me buy another acoustic! I just pulled the trigger on an FG 800 in Sand Burst. I was having trouble deciding which color to buy, but I don't have a sunburst acoustic and have been wanting one. I usually play Martin and Gibson mahogany guitars, but this one sounds like too good of a deal to pass up. How can they sell a solid spruce top guitar with scalloped bracing for that price? I'll give it a chance, and if I don't like it, I won't take a big hit on a resale, especially as I got it for 15% off at MF, plus used Backstage Pass points and a gift certificate. Yes, I have too many guitars, but life is short and I play them and enjoy them all.
Looking forward to the NGD post. I think you will love it!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I'll give it a chance, and if I don't like it, I won't take a big hit on a resale, especially as I got it for 15% off at MF, plus used Backstage Pass points and a gift certificate.
Not to go off on a tangent but how did you get it at 15 percent off at MF? I've been a customer since 2001 but that doesn't do anything for me. Right now I can only get about 6 percent, maybe 8 percent off.

If you'd rather P.M. with a name of an employee, please do so.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 AM

FALLSAVINGS16 is the 15% discount code on items selling for $199+. You will have to phone them to get the discount, as it doesn't work online. I had to call two different sales agents, the first one wouldn't apply the discount. Best of luck, I find it works best to just hang up and call back as MF policies can vary in their application depending on who you get on the phone.

PM sent.

Last edited by Mr Bojangles; 10-04-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

The OP's message made me go into my local GC and try the Yamaha FG800. Not bad, but this one probably could have used new strings. I'm finding I seem to prefer rosewood, also. There was an FG830, which I liked better, tagged at $100 more, which seemed worth it for the difference in tone.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion