The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Preamp Gain vs. DAW Recording Level

Hi All,

I have an Apogee Duet and use its preamps to feed phantom power to a pretty decent stereo mic. Here's my question:

Is there any realistic difference between boosting the gain on the Duet (the preamp) as opposed to boosting the recording level on the particular track in Garageband? Put another way, if I have the preamp levels down, but the track's level set high, would I hear something different than if I had the preamp level high and the track's level set low?

Thx,

the Colonel
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Hi All,

I have an Apogee Duet and use its preamps to feed phantom power to a pretty decent stereo mic. Here's my question:

Is there any realistic difference between boosting the gain on the Duet (the preamp) as opposed to boosting the recording level on the particular track in Garageband? Put another way, if I have the preamp levels down, but the track's level set high, would I hear something different than if I had the preamp level high and the track's level set low?

Thx,

the Colonel
Under most circumstances you want to set your DAW level to "unity," the point at which signal is neither boosted nor attenuated. Set preamp level so that you get the desired recording level.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 AM

I don't know garageband, but if you mean the sliders on the mixer view, this does not affect recorded level in most DAWS, only playback level.

For best mixing/mastering headroom, you should be aiming for -18dB to -12dB recording level.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM

For each track in Garageband, you have the ability to increase the volume of the track as it records.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For each track in Garageband, you have the ability to increase the volume of the track as it records.
Yes, but that increase in volume only applies to the playback of what has already been recorded and written to disk (milliseconds earlier).

The voltage level of the initial recording is determined when the analog signal from your mic preamp meets with the analog to digital converter. It is at that point where the level is calculated. All this occurs before your DAW software sees anything.

Yes, you can lower or add gain to that initial recording (i) temporarily (when playing back the source file trough your DAW or (ii) permanently (by rewriting the disk file rendered with added gain).

You can (at least in ProTools you can, dunno about Garageband) add a gain plugin to the track before recording and any additional gain set in that plugin will be added to the signal coming from the AD converter before the file is written to the hard drive. Similarly, I could add reverb at this point too, but that reverb would always be present in the original recorded track written to disk, i.e., I can't remove it later.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You're only increasing the playback/monitoring volume of that track, not the recorded volume.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Got it. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

What Rick Ruskin said.

However some preamps take on a different sound with higher gain - some have input gain and output signal adjustments you can make. The quality of function of the D/A filters may be affected by the level of the input signal.
You can experiment whether the sound you get by setting different preamp gains changes in anyway you can detect.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD