The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Hi all,

I got Kodak Zi8 from Target few days ago right after I landed at LAX from Thailand, and here's the crude result from the first experiment with its own internal mic. (pardon my stiff fingers and lyric forgotton after 3 months of travelling abroad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HS8NbRm3Ms

By this weekend I should receive the Sony mic that I ordered from Amazon and test that out as the external mic for Kodak and will put the result here too.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM

napman-

just wondering how this turned out. I'm fixin' to get the same set-up.

I'm also wondering about a few other things:

is there a better mic than the sony ecm-ds70p available? I could spend a bit more-

I already have an AT 825 single point stereo mic. If I were to use this, I'm guessing I would need some sort of adapter? I'm always nervous about adapters, etc.

Also - I see that the cable for the Sony Mic is 1 meter long. Is there a longer cable available?

Thanks for your help - I'm hoping Fran chimes in here -he seems to really know this stuff.

emk
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emk View Post
napman-

is there a better mic than the sony ecm-ds70p available? I could spend a bit more-
I don't have the Sony at home but I do have several mics to compare, so we might find one that stands out. We're leaving Hawai`i tomorrow (sob) so I should have something by next week.

Quote:
I already have an AT 825 single point stereo mic. If I were to use this, I'm guessing I would need some sort of adapter? I'm always nervous about adapters, etc.
My 825 has the adapters needed. I'm really looking forward to trying it. This mic has been discontinued, I was very happy to snag a used one.

Quote:
Also - I see that the cable for the Sony Mic is 1 meter long. Is there a longer cable available?
A headphone extension cable does the job. It's stereo, and they're available in 1/8" female to 1/8" male, which is just what's needed. Adds a few bucks to the cost, of course.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanks, Fran!

So do you think the AT 825 might do a better job than the Sony? I like the fact that the AT fits on a mic stand much better!!

Thanks again-

emk
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

emk, I would very rarely offer an opinion about a mic I haven't used. I might have done so 10 years ago, but I'm older and dumber now. I don't know nearly as much as I used to.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emk View Post
napman-

just wondering how this turned out. I'm fixin' to get the same set-up.

I'm also wondering about a few other things:

Thanks for your help - I'm hoping Fran chimes in here -he seems to really know this stuff.

emk
Hi emk,
I've fooled around with Sony ECM that I bought from Amazon (I'm pretty sure it's the fake Chinese made) for few days and gave up. I had no control whatsoever to that mic! Or may be I just didn't know how!

If you're interest you can get to my YT channel (napman99) and check them out. I uploaded my experiments in there.

For now I simply use Kodak Zi8 straight with its internal mic and at least for the time being with straight video through Fishman SoloAmp and/or Roland AC-60 and MXL 4000 condenser mic as you can see at my YT uploads.

I intend to study more at Fran's site to get more understanding about this matter. Thanks in advance Fran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD