The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2022, 06:14 AM

Guess my old Carvin AG100D doesn't count...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-09-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Hey , don't dis it. My AG 300 is an amp I could have sold many times over. I would not say it was small though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-09-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:

If yours doesn't count, then I guess my AG100D doesn't either.......
Old 06-09-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
If yours doesn't count, then I guess my AG100D doesn't either.......
You guys… comon’ - these aren’t even in production anymore and are hard to find. Not fair! BTW the stuff Carvin sells these days new is rebranded mass produced Chinese products that you can get for cheaper off alibaba dot com 🙄
Old 06-09-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Genzler Acoustic Array Pro...to my ears, is tops. I've had many acoustic amps (still own a fishman 330, S1 Pro and an Udo). Acoustic gigs where I'm providing the sound I'm taking the Genzler every time. Best guitar tone, tied with the 330 for vocals... I use them together but when I just need one, it is the Genzler. I've owned others and ab'd even more. (The Udo shines when my vocals are going through the house system and I use the Udo's DI (post) to FOH...in that situatio, i use the UDO most every time...Genzler DI out is hot..)
Thank you. As a tone chaser I really appreciate your input!
Old 06-09-2022, 05:28 PM

I've played every SMALL acoustic amp mentioned here, and in my opinion, nothing beats the JAM 200 by Schertler. But if you don't know how to drive one (ie testing in a store), you've never really heard one. I almost gave up on mine because I could never get the vocal mic gain I needed, it always seemed liike it was on the edge of feedback. The secret is they need to have the master volume on ten, or close to it, before they start developing their sound. Otherwise to get the volume you're driving their preamps too hard, and they get a bit feedbacky/reedy sounding. But at their optimal settings, the preamps sound great, and each channel, besides having it's own gain knob, has it's own volume knob to keep the overall volumes in check. Even when running at comparatively low volumes I keep my master wide open! Think of it like running a PA system, volumes on the power amps always wide open and volume controlled by the mixer. So if you're testing out a Jam 200 in your search remember this!
Old 06-09-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've played every SMALL acoustic amp mentioned here, and in my opinion, nothing beats the JAM 200 by Schertler…
You would be the first person I am aware of who has heard the Elite Acoustics D6-58 and wasn’t blown away. Weird.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
You guys… comon’ - these aren’t even in production anymore and are hard to find.
So.

That makes them vintage.

And collectible....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-10-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So.

That makes them vintage.

And collectible....

What he said...
Old 06-10-2022, 11:17 AM

Genzler Acoustic Array Pro has beat-out every other amp I’ve used.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:43 PM

I've had the compact 60..not sure it would get you much more power than what you have.
But it's a nice sounding amp for guitar.
Not so much for vocals.
I've owned a schertler sub that I topped
with a qsc. Cp8. Best sound I've ever had.
I've also had 2 elite products. The d68
Was 80w upgraded. Very good amp.
Real boutique sound..the bt antenna broke off
Pretty quickly..I hear good things about the
D6-58..no doubt much improved more power.
The aer was the smallest, but the cp8 is small
As well.but it's not really an amp more an frfr speaker. I sold all but the cp8...which is telling.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:52 PM

This is so funny , I gig out with a Carvin AG 200 with the speaker cabinet . I know y’all will laugh I got the snakeskin cover . That thing is loud…..But I am getting the itch for the Genzler . Somebody told me he is somehow worked with BK Butler and I used to play in a band with a BK Butler Tubeworks . To me the best amp out there for the day
Old 06-24-2022, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

I have not yet found an amp to do better than my older LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp. Designed from the ground up for an acoustic and it delivers - 2 channel, all the eq needs, vocal as well and all the I/O you need and designed to sit on the floor (;-)). If you do find one, contact Baggs with the serial number and they will tell you if it has been upgraded (they used to do the upgrade free and it makes a significant difference. I’ve played through most of the amps that have been mentioned although the Udo sounds interesting and I haven’t got a Schertler dealer close enough to try one.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-24-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I have not yet found an amp to do better than my older LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp. Designed from the ground up for an acoustic and it delivers - 2 channel, all the eq needs, vocal as well and all the I/O you need and designed to sit on the floor (;-)). If you do find one, contact Baggs with the serial number and they will tell you if it has been upgraded (they used to do the upgrade free and it makes a significant difference. I’ve played through most of the amps that have been mentioned although the Udo sounds interesting and I haven’t got a Schertler dealer close enough to try one.
Thanks! Again no longer made. I think I’d have an easier time tracking down an L.R. Baggs Synapse for not much more money. Surely they have comparable quality sound? Anyone have any direct experience with both?

Lots to chew on so thank you everyone who has chimed in. I’d love to A/B every amp mentioned side by side in the same room, but perhaps I’ll aim to find a couple at a time and start narrowing it down to what sounds best to my ear with my setup. Cheers to all the tone chasers here - I really appreciate all your research and hard earned dollars spent in this pursuit!

Last edited by jpino; 06-24-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
You would be the first person I am aware of who has heard the Elite Acoustics D6-58 and wasn’t blown away. Weird.
The Schertler is the King to me, but Elite Acoustics amps are right up there in my mind. The Schertler is better suited to me with it's Class A, no negative feedback preamps, and it's raw Analog power amp. It's just a beast of a small amp. But as I said in my previous post, the master needs to be on 10 or close to it. That's why I said a lot of people have never really heard it. Most people are generally afraid to crack the master wide open. I owned mine over a year before I figured that out!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification