The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-06-2022, 02:33 PM
tbtxaz21 tbtxaz21 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 31
Default

Will the 50M do a monitor out?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Chriscom's Avatar
Chriscom Chriscom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern Virginia/DC/USA
Posts: 1,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
Will the 50M do a monitor out?
Yes. There are two XLR outputs on the back, Mix Out and Aux Out, and they can be set to send different mixes.
__________________
AGF Open Mic Facebook Group
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2022, 08:41 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It’s easy enough to get a little DI box with 48v phantom power available. My feeling on that is I couldn’t see using an LDC mic live regularly, except possibly an EarTrumpetLabs large diaphragm condenser mic with very high feedback rejection. The Sennheiser 935’s and 945’s would fit the need fine. But thank you SpruceTop for bringing that fact to my attention. I wasn’t aware of that information.
frank d.
The inclusion of 48-volt phantom power on an EV 30/50M would enable the direct phantom-powering of onboard phantom-powered systems such as the Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom and Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2. Also, some pedals such as the LR Baggs Session DI are capable of being 48-volt phantom powered. Frankly, the lack of phantom power on the EV 30M/50M is likely of no concern to perhaps 90% of players and wouldn't dissuade them from buying one of these systems. I have fond memories from 40 years ago when using a pair of excellent sounding EV 3-way, American-made passive speakers.
__________________
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Ovation Elite Plus
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-12-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-12-2022, 11:08 AM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The inclusion of 48-volt phantom power on an EV 30/50M would enable the direct phantom-powering of onboard phantom-powered systems such as the Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom and Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2. Also, some pedals such as the LR Baggs Session DI are capable of being 48-volt phantom powered. Frankly, the lack of phantom power on the EV 30M/50M is likely of no concern to perhaps 90% of players and wouldn't dissuade them from buying one of these systems. I have fond memories from 40 years ago when using a pair of excellent sounding EV 3-way, American-made passive speakers.

The 15v phantom power works with some things, not with others. For example it works with my Shure Beta 87A mics, my Samson MDA1 active DI, my Tech21 Sansamp ParaDI and QStrip. It doesn’t work properly with my large diaphragm condenser mic. I don’t know that I would use that live anyway though. The 15V phantom power is mostly enough for the types of gear that you would use live. There are certainly frustrating exceptions though.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2022, 11:33 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The 15v phantom power works with some things, not with others. For example it works with my Shure Beta 87A mics, my Samson MDA1 active DI, my Tech21 Sansamp ParaDI and QStrip. It doesn’t work properly with my large diaphragm condenser mic. I don’t know that I would use that live anyway though. The 15V phantom power is mostly enough for the types of gear that you would use live. There are certainly frustrating exceptions though.
Thanks, I now see the 30M/50M systems have 15-volt phantom power but that isn't enough for a Trance Amulet M-VT system that requires 48-volts with at least 500 ma (I think I remember Gary Hull mentioning this value) of current.
__________________
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Ovation Elite Plus
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-12-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-12-2022, 10:08 PM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, I now see the 30M/50M systems have 15-volt phantom power but that isn't enough for a Trance Amulet M-VT system that requires 48-volts with at least 500 ma (I think I remember Gary Hull mentioning this value) of current.


There is a reference to this here:

http://www.tranceaudio.com/phantompower.html
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-13-2022, 08:52 AM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
Default

I am playing with a friend on Friday. I know from the last time we played together that his guitar pickup is some kind of system with a custom balanced XLR cable that needs phantom power. I have no idea if this system needs a full 48v. Just in case, I ordered one of these. I will try it first without and only use it if I have to. I will have it on standby for any time I need full 48v in the future:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m-power-supply
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-13-2022, 04:26 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
There is a reference to this here:

http://www.tranceaudio.com/phantompower.html
Yes, Thanks! I've seen this but I've also read somewhere about the milliamp requirement of the Trance M-VT Phantom but can't seem to locate it again.
__________________
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Ovation Elite Plus
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
nickfromny nickfromny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Default

I had the 30m and now have 2 50s (not the M). I didn't care for the mixer in the 30m but otherwise it is an amazing system. Just got a deal I couldn't pass up on the 2 50s. They both sound great. the 50 is definitely bulkier to carry. the 30m has a nice backpack for the tower and the sub is lighter. Carry cases for the 50 is bigger and sub is heavier. I find the 50 to sound a little fuller than the 30. I use 1 50 for 90% of my gigs as a solo/duo act. will use both 50s with a sub for my full band later this week.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, I now see the 30M/50M systems have 15-volt phantom power but that isn't enough for a Trance Amulet M-VT system that requires 48-volts with at least 500 ma (I think I remember Gary Hull mentioning this value) of current.
YIKES! There's no way the Trance needs a half an amp of current!

On their product page one of the external phantom power boxes mentioned is the Sterling PHP1. It is capable of delivering 14 ma which would be more in line with the Trance preamp needs. It does require 48 vdc, but only a few ma of power behind that voltage.

The actual power required is very low and that's probably why it isn't even listed in the specifications.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-22-2022, 03:07 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 10,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
YIKES! There's no way the Trance needs a half an amp of current!

On their product page one of the external phantom power boxes mentioned is the Sterling PHP1. It is capable of delivering 14 ma which would be more in line with the Trance preamp needs. It does require 48 vdc, but only a few ma of power behind that voltage.

The actual power required is very low and that's probably why it isn't even listed in the specifications.
I'll have to look for what Gary wrote as the recommended milliamp value for the Trance Phantom-powered systems. I remember that he mentioned that it wouldn't work well with anything less than 48 volts and whatever minimal milliamp value he stated. Let me verify that my two Trance M-VT Phantom systems work well with my FELiX 2 and my LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA, both of which supply 48 volts of phantom power with no issues when powering the Trance Phantoms when going through either one.
__________________
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Ovation Elite Plus
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-22-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-23-2022, 03:32 AM
shufflebeat shufflebeat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfromny View Post
I use 1 50 for 90% of my gigs as a solo/duo act. will use both 50s with a sub for my full band later this week.
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. I work with a Celtic Rock/Country band and I would really like to downsize the system. Two Evolve 50s (not M) look ideal on paper but I'm not convinced it's worth the financial and political effort to make it happen.

Usual wedding/pub/club scenarios.
__________________
Give a man a fishing rod... and he's got the makings of a rudimentary banjo.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-23-2022, 07:19 AM
Methos1979's Avatar
Methos1979 Methos1979 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 6,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I would agree with you…if I didn’t drive a MiniCooper…and if I wasn’t 60 years old… and if the 30M wasn’t half the price…
This is our reason for going the 30M route - minus the MiniCooper, although we do both drive Hyundai Elantras. Like lkingston, at 60 I find the base unit of the 30M is just about as big and heavy as I would ever want to carry. After that, I also find that the 30M is really more than enough power and sound dispersion than our acoustic duo will likely ever need. And as for the 15v phantom power limitation, I currently do not, never have and likely never will need phantom power so that is also not a consideration for me but I agree that it was silly of EV to not incorporate a full 48v.

But for those that are looking for PA equipment for full bands or smaller groups that play to much larger audiences and/or at large outdoor venues, I can see that the 50M would be the safe bet as long as you don't mind schlepping the extra size and weight. We plugged in our 30M outside on the deck yesterday for a band practice after a couple weeks of not playing amplified (away on vacation) and once again we were both just completely blown away at how great the sound this wonderful system produces. We are very excited to start using it live very soon.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-01-2022, 03:09 PM
PJW648's Avatar
PJW648 PJW648 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Romeo, MI
Posts: 159
Default Why not include 48v Phantom power....???

All,

I really don't understand why mfg's don't included 48v phantom power in these stick PA's...I understand there are work around's to introduce it to a mic, but it's the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I just don't think you should have to add a phantom power supply to a $2k+ PA...and I live and die with my Neumann KM-105...!! I'm just old fashion that way...!!!

Paul


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The EV50M is the one I would buy if considering an EV system--weight be danged! Deal killer for me on both the EV30M and EV50M is no 48-volt phantom power. Hey, EV, if Bose can do it so can you!
__________________
2007 Fender EJ Strat, Taylor GS BTO (Madagascar Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Top), 2014 Collings CJ MhA, 1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, ...To be cont'd!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-01-2022, 03:44 PM
Chriscom's Avatar
Chriscom Chriscom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern Virginia/DC/USA
Posts: 1,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW648 View Post
All,

I really don't understand why mfg's don't included 48v phantom power in these stick PA's...I understand there are work around's to introduce it to a mic, but it's the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I just don't think you should have to add a phantom power supply to a $2k+ PA...and I live and die with my Neumann KM-105...!! I'm just old fashion that way...!!!

Paul
Most every Evolve stick owner who has looked into it agrees it's nuts.

Hey, EV, if Bose can do it so can you!

True, but I'll trade the phantom power for a master volume control every day of the week.
__________________
AGF Open Mic Facebook Group
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=