The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I did a simple demo video of how to create "backing tracks" using a looper if anyone has an interest:

This is an excellent video showing the whole process, thank you.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:39 AM

I envy you guys who can use these loopers. I had an old Boomarang years ago, but it was just too sensitive and I don't want to try another .I 've seen guys play out live with them and they just go on forever noodling around with the same chords ... and don't get me started on those vocal harmonizer pedals.I know a guy who talks thru that thing without turning off ...weird.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I envy you guys who can use these loopers. I had an old Boomarang years ago, but it was just too sensitive and I don't want to try another . I've seen guys play out live with them and they just go on forever noodling around with the same chords ... and don't get me started on those vocal harmonizer pedals.I know a guy who talks thru that thing without turning off ...weird.
That's what gave loopers such a bad name. I don't use one live, but there are folks that do it tastefully.

Watch Ed Sheeran to see how someone can tastefully (and creatively) use a looper for live performance.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Aeros

My favorite thing to do with my Aeros looper is to create a rhythmic pattern on my doublenecked acoustic guitar typically by a muted slap on the strings near the bridge. The rhythm is typically a series of short two bar patterns where I overdub two or three rhythm parts. Then play the guitar. I may add another overdub, or after I switch instruments, typically my Chapman Stick, I'll sometimes add another short rhythm part before I start on the second instrument. In some cases I may delete the previous overdub to change the rhythm pattern.

I like the Aeros so I can also do longer loops that go beyond what my Line6 Helix or Stomp can do. I may at times use an Ebow to add in more sonic textures. Long ago I attended a seminar with Phil Keaggy, who advised keeping the loops short. So when doing longer loops, it takes some thought to not loose the audience. The latest update to the Aeros now does fade in and fade out which is a nice way to end a loop and not sound too robotic.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I use a EHX 720 looper in my live shows. I use it 3 different ways.

-for a phrase to be brought in and out in different parts of a song.
-for a rhythmic track, ie. slaps on guitar or strings
-for a chord pattern that I'll loop while singing, so I can solo over it at the appropriate part of the song.

I do all my loops live, nothing is pre-recorded, and I don't do any endless noodling loops, that'll just bore people.

The looper is an essential piece of gear for me.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the further contributions!

As the title of this topic implies, we're looking for as many creative ways to use a looper as possible.

The examples given already support the idea that the looper isn't just a "one trick pony". It can be used in a wide variety of ways, so keep those cards and letters coming!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification