The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old 06-24-2022, 05:54 PM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 9,021
Default

I thought that Anatomy of a Scandal was very well done across the board. No spoilers from me.
Best,
Jayne
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 06-24-2022, 08:29 PM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I thought that Anatomy of a Scandal was very well done across the board. No spoilers from me.
Best,
Jayne
Thanks.

Yes, it's very good. I was pleased to see Lady Mary from Downton Abbey in the role of the prosecutor. She's an excellent actress.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-24-2022, 10:05 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
If you can handle bad language, and I mean BAD then 'After Life' written, directed and starring Ricky Gervais is quite stunning.

It's an emotional roller coaster covering some very hard topics we experience in life.
I grew up on a cattle ranch, with real cowboys and around loggers. Lived in Alaska for 20 years with Commercial fishermen, miners and oilfield riggers. You don't know what "bad" language is... <G>
__________________
"Here is a song about the feelings of an expensive, finely crafted, hand made instrument spending its life in the hands of a musical hack"
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-24-2022, 10:40 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I grew up on a cattle ranch, with real cowboys and around loggers. Lived in Alaska for 20 years with Commercial fishermen, miners and oilfield riggers. You don't know what "bad" language is... <G>
The warning was for the more sensitive folk - I was OK with it but don't want to recommend something that others may find offensive - there are plenty of f-bombs in the series but it's the plentiful (and often very funny) use of the c-word that some might find steps outside their comfort zone.

p.s. - I was caned in first year high school for swearing in sport - shouted 'bloody idiot' at another player. The early 1960's was a million years ago.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 06-24-2022, 11:53 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The warning was for the more sensitive folk - I was OK with it but don't want to recommend something that others may find offensive - there are plenty of f-bombs in the series but it's the plentiful (and often very funny) use of the c-word that some might find steps outside their comfort zone.

p.s. - I was caned in first year high school for swearing in sport - shouted 'bloody idiot' at another player. The early 1960's was a million years ago.
No worries, so I had thought.

I've seen Ricky Gervais before. I know what it means. <G>
__________________
"Here is a song about the feelings of an expensive, finely crafted, hand made instrument spending its life in the hands of a musical hack"
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 06-25-2022, 06:55 AM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The warning was for the more sensitive folk - I was OK with it but don't want to recommend something that others may find offensive - there are plenty of f-bombs in the series but it's the plentiful (and often very funny) use of the c-word that some might find steps outside their comfort zone.
I think a similar warning might be issued for Ozark. I didn't find it offensive so much as downright ugly. Then again, maybe those two are the same thing!
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 06-25-2022, 04:35 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think a similar warning might be issued for Ozark. I didn't find it offensive so much as downright ugly. Then again, maybe those two are the same thing!
Ruth not swearing just wouldn't have been Ruth.

Great series.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 06-25-2022, 05:26 PM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Ruth not swearing just wouldn't have been Ruth.

Great series.
I liked the series, too, but I did find Ruth rather repugnant - indiscriminately rude, hostile, and foul-mouthed. It was difficult for me to feel much sympathy for her because of that.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-25-2022, 05:42 PM
foxo's Avatar
foxo foxo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,513
Default

Is Happy Valley available on Netflix across the pond? I am rewatching it right now - best UK police drama in some time.
__________________
Martin D-18
Martin 000-15m with Baggs Anthem SL
Martin 000-28 Custom 12 Fret


Bandcamp

Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-28-2022, 07:39 AM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The warning was for the more sensitive folk - I was OK with it but don't want to recommend something that others may find offensive - there are plenty of f-bombs in the series but it's the plentiful (and often very funny) use of the c-word that some might find steps outside their comfort zone.

p.s. - I was caned in first year high school for swearing in sport - shouted 'bloody idiot' at another player. The early 1960's was a million years ago.
And TV and movies less foul- mouthed.
In fact, less crude in every way.
__________________
Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 PM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hmmm. A new "Umbrella Academy."
Is that any good? I checked the description but saw the dreaded word: 'superhero.' That's usually a bit of a dealbreaker for me.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 06-28-2022, 07:37 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Is that any good? I checked the description but saw the dreaded word: 'superhero.' That's usually a bit of a dealbreaker for me.
Marvel/DC it ain't. It is weirder than snot.
__________________
"Here is a song about the feelings of an expensive, finely crafted, hand made instrument spending its life in the hands of a musical hack"
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 06-28-2022, 08:46 PM
Denny B's Avatar
Denny B Denny B is offline
World's OK-ist Guitarist
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I liked the series, too, but I did find Ruth rather repugnant - indiscriminately rude, hostile, and foul-mouthed. It was difficult for me to feel much sympathy for her because of that.

My wife and I were big fans of Ozark...and with all the repugnant, immoral characters on that show, i.e. the Byrds, Ruth was our favorite character...she deserved much better than she got.
__________________
"Music is much too important to be left to professionals."
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 06-29-2022, 08:43 AM
Photojeep's Avatar
Photojeep Photojeep is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,091
Default

We also just finished "Anatomy of a Scandal" and found it very good.

Yes, the preponderance of the F-word seemed a bit forced at times and I found it distracting at times, but overall it was a very good story.

Best,
PJ
__________________
A Gibson
A couple Martins
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 AM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
My wife and I were big fans of Ozark...and with all the repugnant, immoral characters on that show, i.e. the Byrds, Ruth was our favorite character...she deserved much better than she got.
Yes, I think it was one of those series where I didn't give a hoot about any of the characters - Game of Thrones was another such but for different reasons.

As for Ruth, I think when filmmakers go for a gritty, realistic character we are supposed to like, they tread a thin line: make the character too 'nice' and we don't believe them; overdo do it and they repel us. I think it was the latter case with Ruth. She was clearly meant to be a hard kid with a fundamentally good heart, and I sensed I was supposed to be behind her. However, they laid on the expletives and the nasty attitude with such a huge trowel that, for me, she ended up as downright obnoxious and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=