The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

i leave it on any of my steel string acoustic gits when playing them
but never leave it on my nylon string gits <- - habit from when young.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 01-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Here's how we used to do it. Guess I'm getting old.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Same folks who used to keep loops of untrimmed strings adorning the headstocks, you know, REAL guitar players.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 01-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Tuner Etiquette

Take the tuner off when done! To the builder the headstock is like a signature and a work of art, and I respect it. Take that plastic thing off!
There are no real world demerits for leaving it on, but I don’t like it. I put it in my pocket or on a music or guitar stand, or on an amp. My guitar looks like a guitar and appreciates the effort.
The guitar stays in tune longer without the tuner on! (Ok, that’s not really true, just starting a discussion here.)

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 01-28-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:07 PM

I have solved the problem through tuning by ear.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
I have solved the problem through tuning by ear.
Yup, works great and it is interesting how many people absolutely cannot tune without an electronic tuner.

At home I just get the A from my tuning fork and off I go. However, in a noisy venue when you need to tune before going on, the electronic tuner is absolutely what you want - unless you prefer to go outside by the dumpster like we did back in the day.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
As if I do not have enough real things to worry about, two and a half years into my guitar journey, and four months into fingerstyle work, I just can't get this question out of my head.
When I tune my guitar with a headstock device, I attach, tune and remove. But, I see that others skip the final step. They leave that plastic digital device clamped unceremoniously to the top of the their impeccable, hand-crafted, fully pampered, wooden object of desire. Frankly, it looks to me like some orphaned after-thought of a plastic star placed atop a lovely fir tree otherwise painstakingly trimmed for Christmas.
Am I right. Or is this just another thing in my life that I need to put in my rearview mirror. If I can.
David
Hi David
I rotate headstock tuners so they are behind the headstock, not sitting atop the headstock.

That way I can tweak mid-song if necessary (particularly if I'm tuning my 6th down to D and back up to E during the same piece). Also I'm a frequent bender of strings, and once in a while that does some damage to the intonation…then it's nice to have that little thing handy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-28-2022, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

At least one of the guitar players in Bob Dylan's new band had one on his headstock the entire show. I think it was Doug Lancio. This is on an electric too, which means he was foregoing the pedal tuner, to I assume plug straight into the amp. His and Bob Britt's guitar tones sounded amazing. I think it doesn't look the best, but I notice other great players also leave it on, so it seems like nothing to worry about.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 PM

I place the tuner on the back of the headstock so only I can see it. I do this because the i feel the flashing note colors while playing are an unnecessary visual distraction. The tuner stays in place for the duration of the gig.

I learned the hard way to remove the tuner other than for a show or while actively practicing. I don't know what the finish was on my Yairi WY-80 was but I used to leave the tuner in place all the time including when it was in the case. Had that guitar about 10 years or so. Don't know how long it took but toward the end of its time with me I was bummed to realize the tuner pads had burned circles into the headstock.

Now my tuners are removed at home or on the road when their job is done.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-28-2022, 10:41 PM

I play at home, keep my guitars cased and humidified and tune up before playing but it never occurred to me to remove the tuner. I take it off before returning the guitar to the case but I check tuning between songs.
I guess if you are performing it may be a better visual if it’s off. I’m surprised by the amount of players who dislike leaving that tuner on. Now it’s a thing I’ll think about, darn. I thought I was happy now I’ll have to reevaluate.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
What hacks!
Well that's a bit harsh. Let others do as they will, as long as it's not harmful to others. You know?
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-29-2022, 12:48 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Here's how we used to do it. Guess I'm getting old.

I couldn't stop laughing . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-29-2022, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a soundhole tuner in each of my acoustics - they only come out when they need the battery changed. Aside from those brief minutes to change a battery, they live permanently in the sound holes. For electric, I always play through a pedal-board and amp, and a Polytune 3 is my first pedal in the chain.

In terms of aesthetics, I’ve seen many performers FAR FAR FAR better than I’ll ever be with tuners on their headstocks for entire performances. They’re not worried about the aesthetics, they like the convenience. If it’s OK for them, it’d be OK for me…

-Ray
Old 01-29-2022, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I leave the tuner in place while I’m playing. Whatever visually jarring element the tuner might introduce, in terms of keeping and holding an audience it’s much better to have the tuner in place to use as needed rather than disrupt the flow of the performance by putting the tuner on, tuning the strings, then taking it off.

It’s all a matter of priorities, and for me keeping things moving right along is top priority.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
This is my position as well... I remember all too well the pre-digital headstock tuner days of performing with a 12 string and/or mandolin...

As to esthetics, I do prefer conservative.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:56 AM

As Methos mentioned earlier in the thread try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Cling-Tuner-Ma.../dp/B01NAUKWDV

You put a self stick (removable) magnetic disc on the back of the headstock. It holds the tuner well and you can leave it attached when you case the guitar.

Harmon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion