The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 07:55 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
When I first started out, I couldn’t trust my ears. I had to train my ears by using a tuning fork and use the in tune string to tune the rest (they didn’t have clip on tuners back then and if there were electronic ones they were probably the size of a shoe box :-) ).
I remember being at an intimate concert at Schoenberg’s years ago and I was in the splash row listening to Kenny Edwards being accompanied by the fabulous Nina Gerber. She was putting her guitar in another tuning and suddenly scowled, stared down the tuner and said: “I’ve been doing this a long time and that G note you’re trying to sell me isn’t going to fly.”
She tuned it by using her ear and we’ll, she sounded great to my ears.
Tuning takes practice, ear training and some patience but it pays off. I still remember when I could finally change strings, bring them up to pitch by ear and never be more than a half step or less off. A small achievement but I was excited. LOL!
Best,
Jayne
Excellent response, Jayne. This has to be one of the hardest things to learn when trying to learn guitar, followed by how to sing along, in tune, and sing acceptably, followed by everything else. The ear training is so important and very frustrating for a beginner when you know you sound bad but don't know how to fix it!!! Knowing how to tune by ear is like knowing how to do long division, an archaic but necessary skill. Yes, I can still do long division... Do they even teach that in school any more?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:10 AM

Back to the OP: a friend recently showed me the Cleartune app. $3.99
I haven’t messed with it much yet, but a recommended solution.

As to questions of app accuracy, my piano tuner uses an iPhone app. It’s on the order of $800, but the phone is OTS.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I am another happy user of Airyware on Android. (Paid). I have used it for setting intonation and it seems to agree highly with my Peterson strobe clip on.

To the OP one other tip I didn't see mentioned explicitly was deliberately under tuning and then tuning up to the final note.

I also do some quick bends on my strings and recheck tuning to make sure the strings have settled.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
. Yes, I can still do long division... Do they even teach that in school any more?
I can confirm that my kids were taught long division over the last few years .... And that they questioned multiple times why given they can just use a calculator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion