The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Question Rainsong OM1000NS Opinions?

Hi all!

I played a Rainsong OM1000NS today and was very impressed by it. It played very well, was comfortable and sounded pretty darn good, I have to admit. Not at all what I expected from a CF composite guitar.

I've been looking for a travel guitar as I cover the southeast for business and a CF guitar seems the best option.

Anyone have one and have either concerns or praise for this particular guitar or Rainsong in general?

Thanks in advance for your input!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have an H-OM and it is a wonderful instrument. I use this to accompany religious events, running it through a Fishman Loudbox and consistently am told how beautiful the guitar sounds. I went looking for a WS today, and I may add that (not replace the OM) so I get a little more power when playing with others, though that hasn't been an issue if we are all amped. Do you know which model you looked at today?

By the way, you probably know this if you've been looking at CF guitars, but there is a freedom and joy to having to do very little maintenance beyond an occasional cleaning and string change. I had the neck set the way I wanted it when I got it, it hasn't budged. I make minor tuning adjustments when I take it out of the case, and that's it. I've played with condensation forming on the guitar, in cold conditions, outdoors/indoors, etc. and it's been an absolute pleasure to own.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM

I have their OM "Concert" model, with a 12-fret neck.

I LOVE that guitar. Carbon fiber guitars have a little different sound, one that I would describe more as "clear" and "bell-like" rather than "lush" or "thick," but I love the way it sounds.

The tuning stability is fantastic. The neck is a little chunky for me, but easy enough to adapt to. And the whole guitar is so light and stiff that every part of it feels alive as I play it. The guitar just gets me.

I have been delighted with RainSong's customer service. Dave will hook you up!

I hope you get one, and good luck with it!

P.S. This thread will get moved to the carbon fiber forum in 3, 2, 1 .....

P.P.S. One other thing I love about it. Whenever I want to clean dust or a smudge off of it, or clean off the fingerboard, I use Windex.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Rain song

Yes, it's the 12 fret with the K&K mini.

Sounds great!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM

I also have a H-OM. The original setup was terrible BUT once that was corrected the action and playability is excellent - equal to my Taylor’s. The electronics are first class and are worth the upgrade from other Rainsong models.
My recommendation for a travel guitar is a Voyage-Air. It’s not a CF and has a solid wood top and laminated sides. The best part is that they fold into a backpack.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 PM

I have a shorty SG (OM-sized 12-fret I believe has the same or similar hybrid construction w/unidirectional CF top as the OM1000NS) that I’ve had only for a couple of weeks (still in the honeymoon phase) and love it. I’ve had to adjust tuning only when using alternate tunings - otherwise it is solid as a rock (it was still in tune when I opened it after I received it after a week-long coast-to-coast trip via UPS ground). The sound is what I would call immediate - the notes have a ring and clarity that is astounding at first. Also, it is the lightest-weight acoustic I have - even lighter than my Emerald X7. So far, I can’t really find any fault with it, and I fear my Martin 000-15 is getting lonely!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:34 AM

Default Rainsong OM1000NSK

Thanks for the input, folks.

I heard a comment that the unidirectional CF tops are more susceptible to scratching, even from finger nails.

Do you find this to be the case, and would a thin, clear pick guard affect the sound?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 AM

I have the CH-OM, which I purchased earlier this year. Great guitar! I haven't touched my Taylor 324 since buying the Rainsong. (In fact, I'm considering selling it.) I'm definitely a CF convert!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post

I heard a comment that the unidirectional CF tops are more susceptible to scratching, even from finger nails.

Do you find this to be the case, and would a thin, clear pick guard affect the sound?

Thanks!
Mine (Shorty SG) is a 2014 and there are no scratches on the top. I don't know if the gloss finish on mine is different than what is currently found on the CH models, so I can't help you there, however. That said, I cannot imagine a pickguard would have a discernable effect on the tone.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
I have never scratched mine, but I play purely fingerstyle. I do have a pickguard on mine (not clear, and for purely cosmetic reasons), and I noticed no change in the sound.

But if you'd rather not add a pickguard, I'm sure you could buff any scratches out. I've never needed to use anything but Windex on mine, but RainSong does recommend a couple of products (car detailing products, actually) for cleaning and polishing their guitars. I'm sure that stuff could take out any minor scratches--if you were even able to make any.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure you can get pick swirls and other marks if you play it hard enough or attack at that angle. I don't, and the top of mine looks great, playing with a pick 98% of the time. I can't imagine fingernails doing damage, though. If that's a concern, as others said, a clear pickguard won't the tone enough for human ears to hear.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I own a Rainsong Jumbo JM1000. With respect to the finish:

According to Dave at Rainsong:
"It's a polyurethane finish similar to what is used in the automotive industry. We don't use a UV curing process but the finish is probably similar."

I don't find the finish on my Rainsong to be any more susceptible to scratching than my Taylor 814CE (circa 1999) is.

I bought the JM1000 used and there was some hazy areas and finger nail scratch marks in the lower bout and a hazy area where your arm comes over the top.
I used the Player's Kit Guitar Polish and Scratch Remover By Eternashine and the finish glossed up beautifully (this was after I tried Virtuoso cleaner and polish, which didn't do a thing for the haze and minor scratch marks)

Obviously, a clear pick guard would be a personal preference. I roll without one and the JM1000 finish holds up great. Played it for a year and it has not needed another Eternashine treatment yet.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Great guitars, if it's for travel, be sure and check out the PA Parlor size Rainsong too if space is a consideration.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 AM

I use my Rainsongs and Blackbird extensively for travel, both for work and pleasure and all three have been great. I have the Shorty SGM and have recently added the WS-1000. Both can fit in my Access stage 3 gig bag which has protected them well and the whole package is so incredibly light. I play mostly fingerstyle but like to strum sometimes, but I never hit the top and both look great so far.
Go for it and enjoy, it is great to have a nice instrument when you get to the hotel, or the park etc...
Old 05-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Both Martin and Taylor have put 12 fret necks on what were "14 Fret" bodies with some success. For RainSong's way of building a guitar, it really works well bringing out a richer tone with more bass. Given the cutaways, there is no real loss in access to playing E-pentatonic riffs at the 12th fret. The 12 fret neck is a little slimmer than their 14 and feels just right to me. The 12 fret versions are a little shorter, and if compactness and a case are important, there are a couple of cases that just fit (minimum total bulk) the 12-fret parlor: Gator 3/4 case and TKL parlor cases.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-27-2018 at 09:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber