The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-24-2018, 01:47 PM

Default emerald x20 sound spectrum vs all hog - for singing with purposes

Curious question for emerald x20 male owners...where do you put it on the sound spectrum vs say an all hog, particularly for how your voice sits in from solely an unplugged perspective? Do you find the volume too much to sing with, with the soundhole pointing up at you or too much going on with the sound spectrum? awkward question i realize but trying to help my coworker out whether to go with all hog or carbon fiber. Tried to tell him i think he should consider carbon fiber but having never played a x20 in person, didnt want to overspeak and steer him away from a wood guitar.

How does your voice record with the x20 from an unplugged perspective?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

You'll get better answers concerning voice, but I can tell you that with a little technique controlling the volume on the X20 is pretty easy. The sound coming at your face is a bit of a surprise the first time you play one, but it's easy to get used to and control.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Dancehall;

My perspective is based on a nylon string X20-OSN. The X20 is very manageable relative to volume level and I found the guitar to be a great vocal accompaniment.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I have an X20 and an all-mahogany Taylor 522ce 12-fret. The 522 is a lovely guitar. All mahogany tends to be strong in the mids, quieter in the highs and lows - making it actually competing with most vocals. From my perspective, if you want to stay with wood, a rosewood and spruce would be a better choice, which is scooped in the mids, leaving a good place for vocals.

The X20, to my ear, is better balanced from highs to lows, rich and strong. It can be surprising at first, with the playing experience that upturned soundhole provides. I love it! I get to hear what those in front hear. I play guitar to accompany my singing, and the X20 is great for that. It is a powerful guitar (you can feel the rumble against your belly), but it can certainly be played quietly, if desired. No issue singing over it.

I used to think my 814 was my most versatile acoustic, but the X20 has taken over that spot.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I'll echo a bit of Captain Jim on the X20. I tried one for a few days, it was very easy to sing with, I had no issues with controlling volume. I found the body to be a bit less comfortable for me; love the arm bevel, but the smaller width of the body didn't work as well with my rib cage and my Rainsong H-OM fits me better. Your friend will want to try the various body styles to see what is most comfortable. If it helps, for reference I am 5' 5", trim/athletic at about 141 lbs. So no padding on my ribs, which is where the top line of the Emerald hit my chest. If they offered a rib bevel, I'd be in because it is a great instrument.

An area that I found to be different from Jim is that I am also perfectly at home on a somewhat larger all-hog guitar, a Taylor 524 fit a sonic range that worked well for me. I have played the 522 and that didn't provide the same happy experience for me. Keeping in mind that Taylors have tended to be bright to begin with, perhaps the larger body provided a bit more bass, and my voice fits well in the middle. So it may come down to which brand and model all-hog.

For reference, I'd consider myself a baritone, singing comfortably between the 5th string "A" and 1st string "F" or "F#" depending on the day and vocal warm-ups.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Well , I’m pretty sure that Cap’n Jim would agree that carbon fibre is definitely the right choice for singing with porpoises .
Old 05-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Well , I’m pretty sure that Cap’n Jim would agree that carbon fibre is definitely the right choice for singing with porpoises .
On purpose no doubt.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

And, for full disclosure: I was 5'5", trim/athletic, and around 141 pounds... when I was in 9th grade. Currently larger in all dimensions, but I did have athlete's foot once.

The X20 is the second most comfortable guitar I own; the X7 is first. Both are way ahead of my "old fashioned" wood guitars, regardless of size. Not sure what kind of anatomical mold Alistair uses to come up with these guitars, but they feel like they are "hugging" me back.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

Oh Captain, you sexy guy. I hold my CFs, but hugging? Is your wife jealous?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
And, for full disclosure: I was 5'5", trim/athletic, and around 141 pounds... when I was in 9th grade. Currently larger in all dimensions, but I did have athlete's foot once.

The X20 is the second most comfortable guitar I own; the X7 is first. Both are way ahead of my "old fashioned" wood guitars, regardless of size. Not sure what kind of anatomical mold Alistair uses to come up with these guitars, but they feel like they are "hugging" me back.
This made me laugh out loud, had to explain it to my wife. Would love to try an X7 at some point.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Oh Captain, you sexy guy. I hold my CFs, but hugging? Is your wife jealous?
I hold my wood guitars - might be all those sharp edges. My Emerald guitars are sexy and curvy. They fit like they were made for me. Is my wife jealous? She encourages my guitar passion. On that Select Series X20 of mine, when I showed it to her on Emerald's site, she said, "You better buy it now, before it gets away!"

I don't give her a reason to be jealous. Must be that love and respect stuff.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This made me laugh out loud, had to explain it to my wife. Would love to try an X7 at some point.
We all have our purpose in life, Mike. Glad I could make you laugh... a good belly laugh each day is good for your health. In our little kingdom, I am the court jester. It's steady work and good benefits.

I bought the X7 first, then got an X20. Either order is good. One makes you want the other.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Having sung with my X20 for 5½ years now, I’d say it suits my baritone voice just fine.

Another thing to consider: when you perform with others, your guitar is also blending with their voices. And I feel that the X20 sounds fantastic with tenors and sopranos too. The body shape is extremely comfortable for me, whether standing or sitting.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:36 PM

I really don't know how everyone is holding their guitars to get a lot of sound in their face. Probably the same folks who can see fretmarkers on the fretboard.

The X-20 (from my perspective as a player) is a lot quieter than a conventional guitar like say a Rainsong WS or OM
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I really don't know how everyone is holding their guitars to get a lot of sound in their face. Probably the same folks who can see fretmarkers on the fretboard.

The X-20 (from my perspective as a player) is a lot quieter than a conventional guitar like say a Rainsong WS or OM
Hi Mark. These days, I play more often sitting, with a strap. Having an X20 and a RS Shorty (pretty much the same guitar as the current CH-OM) at the same time, the X20 was significantly louder than the Shorty... both from my perspective and my wife's while sitting in front of it. I can't say on the WS, as I haven't owned one; but it is slightly bigger than the OM, and deeper, so I would sure expect it to be louder (than the OM).

I can see the fret markers on my guitars (well, the ones that have 'em). I'm not unusually long-necked and don't have them top-facing-up.

I am very comfortable with the sound/volume of my X20, but it seemed surprisingly loud to me when I first got it. It has great range on the volume, depending on how much you dig in. If it needs to get louder, I play plugged in much of the time... a small adjustment of the volume knob, and...

I never put a decibel meter on my guitars... that might be interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber