The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Default The New Starbucks Policy

Hey this new policy they have implemented is GREAT! Since you no longer have to buy anything to just generally hang around and use the rest room or whatever, I was thinking of maybe using a Starbucks table to run my new small business from. Man, just think of the office space rental fees I can save. And along with free WiFi, I bet I could even get as much free water as I want as well. God bless you Starbucks!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Old 05-21-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Have you been at a Starbucks during the day? That’s standard procedure for about half of the people at tables. They’re working on their laptops, meeting with clients in person, or via Skype or FaceTime, and there for hours. It’s also a popular place for group meetings. When I’m traveling and have some work to do, I’ll go to the nearest Starbucks and take advantage of the Wi-Fi, bathroom, coffee, etc. No one seems to mind, and when I’d stop into my local Starbucks in Mill Valley to read the morning paper and enjoy a cup of joe, the same half a dozen people would be working there every day.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Have you been at a Starbucks during the day? That’s standard procedure for about half of the people at tables. They’re working on their laptops, meeting with clients in person, or via Skype or FaceTime, and there for hours. It’s also a popular place for group meetings. When I’m traveling and have some work to do, I’ll go to the nearest Starbucks and take advantage of the Wi-Fi, bathroom, coffee, etc. No one seems to mind, and when I’d stop into my local Starbucks in Mill Valley to read the morning paper and enjoy a cup of joe, the same half a dozen people would be working there every day.
This has been my experience as well. Same deal in other local coffee shops & similar village venues in my community.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Same down here. I use it as my office on the rare occasion when I'm working from home and my wifi goes out.

Too loud and the wifi is too slow to make it something I'd do out of choice, but I have a nice office at home which everyone doesn't.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well I do have to admit seannx that I’m not a big Starbucks guy myself. Their coffee tastes like burnt rubber and is way over priced if you ask me. But I will take your word for it that Starbucks is used by many already for the purposes previously discussed. Of course my tongue was firmly planted in cheek in my OP.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

What is their new policy? Presume it has something to do with the incident a couple of weeks ago...
Old 05-21-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
What is their new policy? Presume it has something to do with the incident a couple of weeks ago...
I believe the new policy is basically “ Come one, come all, spend the day without spending any money.”
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I believe the new policy is basically “ Come one, come all, spend the day without spending any money.”
Gotcha. Googled it (should have in the first place) and looks like the usual outlets are trying to make hay out of it.

No surprise on any level.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Like Guitar Center. : )
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Well, as they say, "if you hang around the Starbucks long enough, you're bound to get an overpriced coffee."

But yeah, the Starbucks' (and Paneras, it seems) are very common business meeting places, and I definitely don't see everyone ordering coffee/food (though many do, of course)

Heck, last week I took my kids to Culver's after their t ball game, and the lady in the booth behind us was working with someone, planning her funeral. Uplifting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM

They’ve figured out it is what works best for them. I don’t understand the complaint.

Ed
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Like Guitar Center. : )
Best reply (because it's so true!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Well, as they say, "if you hang around the Starbucks long enough, you're bound to get an overpriced coffee."....
And that's probably why they are banking on it as a business strategy. You can plan on a benefit when you give something away like that.

On a related note:

Everyone knows the stereotype/joke about cops and donuts. Well, that came from a very serious business topic:

Back in the day, donut shops were the coffee places that were open late hours.

Because of the late hours, they were at risk of being robbed.

Donut shops offered cops free coffee and donuts. Cops on patrol would stop by to get a pick-me-up or have a break. The cops got free perk while working and the donut shops had a steady stream of police on their property (essentially free security services).

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-22-2018, 10:02 AM

In 1974 I worked midnights in a 7-11 store about 45 minutes south of DC. The police department office for the little community (Dumfries) was right around the block. The manager had a standing rule that cops always got free coffee for much the same reason stated above.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM

In Seattle it means you can pitch a tent

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic