The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Default The Avengers movies

Finally decided to see what all the fuss is about. Took me over a month to get caught up but I watched Capt. America, Iron Man, the 3 Avengers movies, the 2Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, then the two Thor movies, then Infinity War at the movie theater yesterday.

I got all marveled out and skipped the 2nd Capt. America, 2nd and 3rd Iron Man, Ant Man, Doctor Strange and the Black Panther. Regardless, I get it now. I thoroughly enjoyed the movies I did watch especially the way the individual storylines intersected with the storylines of the other superheroes.

I look forward to the next Avengers movie.

Any other AGFers enjoy these movies?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Finally decided to see what all the fuss is about. Took me over a month to get caught up but I watched Capt. America, Iron Man, the 3 Avengers movies, the 2Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, then the two Thor movies, then Infinity War at the movie theater yesterday.

I got all marveled out and skipped the 2nd Capt. America, 2nd and 3rd Iron Man, Ant Man, Doctor Strange and the Black Panther. Regardless, I get it now. I thoroughly enjoyed the movies I did watch especially the way the individual storylines intersected with the storylines of the other superheroes.

I look forward to the next Avengers movie.

Any other AGFers enjoy these movies?

Second cap America ties in with the first avengers, black panther and dr strange tie up with infinity war mildly.

Also remember that every marvel movie has an Easter egg after the ending credits or halfway through the credits.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Watched Deadpool last night, the usual Marvel action but with a different and amusing twist.
Definitely more adult orientated.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Take the time to watch Dr Strange an The Black Oanther. Both very good flicks in their own right.

Blues
Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 AM

I usually like the Avengers movies but haven't had the chance to see the new one yet. I am going to see Deadpool on Thursday. Now that Black Panther is out, I plan on renting it to catch up.

I'm kinda weird about the Marvel movies. I like most except for Captain America and Hulk. I just don't care for those for some reason...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:27 AM

If it weren't for my 11-year-old daughter, I wouldn't care. Since she loves them, I love them with her, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That girl can spot a Stan Lee cameo faster than I can hear a bad note in a song.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bluemiata View Post
Take the time to watch Dr Strange an The Black Oanther. Both very good flicks in their own right.

Blues
I agree. I actually liked them (and Thor: Ragnarok as well) better than the majority of the other films, many of which (such as the first Capt. America, Thor and Iron Man films) are now too old to be relevant. The Avengers movies are actually the weaker ones of the series IMO. There's just too many characters to keep straight and I found myself lost in the beginning because I'd forgotten the fallout from Capt. America Civil War.

The exception being the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies - and not just for the soundtrack. I love how they tie them into this Avengers film and the baddie comes from that arc as well.

PS: yes, after the first few "modern" Marvel movies (I don't count the multiple Hulk and Spiderman reboots as "canon") it's pretty much a given that you need to sit through the credits to see the teaser scene that hints at how the next movie (whether or not it's an ensemble or stand alone chapter) ties in to what you just sat through.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:40 PM

My son watched the second Cap America movie when it came out awhile back and I saw bits and pieces of it.

Civil War, Ragnarok, Ultron, the first Guardians and Infinity War are my favorites so far. I did watch Deadpool a year or so ago and enjoyed it. The first Thor movie was so-so and the the 2nd and 3rd Ironman movies just didn’t interest me. I am hoping for a stand-alone Hulk but I read somewhere that it won’t happen as long as Universal owns the rights.

I’ll take everyone’s advice and catch up on Doc Strange and Black Panther. Everyone I know who has seen the Black Panther has raved about it.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I usually like the Avengers movies but haven't had the chance to see the new one yet. I am going to see Deadpool on Thursday. Now that Black Panther is out, I plan on renting it to catch up.

I'm kinda weird about the Marvel movies. I like most except for Captain America and Hulk. I just don't care for those for some reason...
Panther is coming out soon and I plan to rent on Redbox for the DTS Master.

Cap. America and Ironman were my least favorite until that scene in Civil War. Holy cow. They’re now my top favorites. I love the Hulk mainly because of the Bixby/Ferrigno combo and that sad theme song.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Growing up there was always a rivalry with my crew between Marvel VS DC comics. I was a DC Fan and still have a collection of my pre teens comics

However, the Marvel movies are a bit more edgy and entertaining to me as compared to some of the DC based movies.

I look forward to the new Avengers movie.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 05-15-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy them, and they've definitely improved with time.

Quote:
I got all marveled out and skipped the 2nd Capt. America, 2nd and 3rd Iron Man, Ant Man, Doctor Strange and the Black Panther.
I'd encourage you to watch Captain America: Winter Soldier and Black Panther. IMHO, both of those film are in the MCU's top five entries. They transcend the superhero genre to some extent because they engage with complex issues facing modern American society.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Panther is coming out soon and I plan to rent on Redbox for the DTS Master.

Cap. America and Ironman were my least favorite until that scene in Civil War. Holy cow. They’re now my top favorites. I love the Hulk mainly because of the Bixby/Ferrigno combo and that sad theme song.

Man you’re taking it old school. I can still hear Bixby say “don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry”. I remember he died rather young.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 AM
AGF Administrator

They're good movies but I think I'm on Marvel overload at this point. After the sequel to Infinity War (only because the first left things incomplete), I'm taking a break from future Marvel movies, except maybe the ones done by 20th Century Fox.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Captain America:The Winter Soldier is, IMO, the best Marvel EU movie.

Deadpool isn't really a Marvel EU movie. It is an X-Men movie. Fox bought the rights to everything X-Men sometime in the 1990s and has been releasing X-Men movies that exist outside of the framework of the MCU for 18 years, starting with X-Men in 2000 and ending with Deadpool 2 in 2018 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix in 2019 (barring extensive reshoots). Presumably, those will be the last two Fox X-Men movies because Disney just bought Fox, which should bring all of the major Marvel Comics characters under the control of Disney and Kevin Feige.

Universal doesn't own the rights to The Hulk, Disney/Marvel Studios does. Marvel has released two standalone Hulk movies, Ang Lee's Hulk with Eic Banna as Bruce Banner and Jennifer Connelly as Betsy Ross, and The Incredible Hulk in 2008. Both are considered failures, but Ang Lee's version of The Hulk has its moments. Actually, technically, the 2008 The Incredible Hulk (with Edward Norton as Banner) was the first Marvel EU movie, it just gets lost next to Iron Man also released in 2008.

Last edited by posternutbag; 05-16-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Default The Avengers movies

I have tried to like them , but I miss Steed and Mrs. Peel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic