The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Simple DNA tests of the peoples of each continent would conclusively confirm, or not, whether the people from Asia, North America, South America.... come from the same group. I'm sure the tests have been done but I've not seen confirmation. I travel a lot and was in South America this late-winter and early spring and think that the Quechuan languages sound very similar to North American indigenous languages like Navaho. Whether there are similarities or not would have to be confirmed by Anthropologists. Their physical similarities are uncanny as well. Just knowing how people like to explore, I doubt that peoples of connected continents did not migrate for many reasons.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
The alternative being what?
Thanks for asking . Most are not open minded enough to do so .
Some , if not many , agree that continental shift via plate tectonics caused the breakup of what once was a singular land mass .
Should human life have emerged on that singular land mass , there was no human migration . There was simply people living at different areas of that singular land mass .
It is possible that the Earth's surface plates migrated , not humans .
Yes , we apparently have no record/s of human existence from that time period , but there also is no proof that humans did not exist in that era .
As time moved forward , humans in these different areas adapted to their surroundings .
This will also serve to be a possible explanation to the similarities in the different branches of the human race .
Thanks again . You may now destroy my theory .
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 AM

I think the last time the continents were a single land mass was about 200 million yrs ago. With all due respect, this theory is nuts.

Last edited by Silurian; 05-15-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Or even a hammered dulcimer .
The history of the hammered dulcimer has a very mysterious history, but long story short, the latest word is that it originated in the middle east.

Every hammered dulcimer player has his/her own theory of how old it is or where it was invented.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I think the last time the continents were a single land mass was about 200 million yrs ago. With all due respect, this theory is nuts.
Instead of tossing around personal opinions , offer your proof .
Why is it not possible for the lineage of humans go back that far ? The fact is that you , nor anyone else , can prove or disprove this .
Thank you for your opinion .
Slings and arrows were sure to fly on this one .
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Instead of tossing around personal opinions , offer your proof .
Why is it not possible for the lineage of humans go back that far ? The fact is that you , nor anyone else , can prove or disprove this .
Thank you for your opinion .
Slings and arrows were sure to fly on this one .
Maybe the earth is flat too?

Believe what you want mate. Life's too short.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for asking . Most are not open minded enough to do so .
Some , if not many , agree that continental shift via plate tectonics caused the breakup of what once was a singular land mass .
Should human life have emerged on that singular land mass , there was no human migration . There was simply people living at different areas of that singular land mass .
It is possible that the Earth's surface plates migrated , not humans .
Yes , we apparently have no record/s of human existence from that time period , but there also is no proof that humans did not exist in that era .
As time moved forward , humans in these different areas adapted to their surroundings .
This will also serve to be a possible explanation to the similarities in the different branches of the human race .
Thanks again . You may now destroy my theory .
This theory is certainly possible. There was no extensive exploration or means of travel in those days to explain how people could have migrated to different parts of the world.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Maybe the earth is flat too?

Believe what you want mate. Life's too short.
A flat Earth was once considered to be scientific fact at one time .
I am not the one that is closing the book here .
I only postulated a theory . I have made no factual claim . The truth is that I don't know the answer and am willing to admit that , so I wonder what the truth could be .
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
This theory is certainly possible. There was no extensive exploration or means of travel in those days to explain how people could have migrated to different parts of the world.
There is also no proof that humans were present or not present at that time .
I have always loved a good mystery .
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Let's stop the slings and arrows on both sides. Science has clearly spoken on this topic, but what individuals choose to accept is a matter of personal choice. The topic at hand is American instruments... not plate tectonics nor human evolution.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Let's stop the slings and arrows on both sides. Science has clearly spoken on this topic, but what individuals choose to accept is a matter of personal choice. The topic at hand is American instruments... not plate tectonics nor human evolution.
And here I thought "Plate Tectonics" was the name of group playing all American instruments ?
Well if not it should be

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-15-2018, 12:37 PM

I was going to say ukulele, but then I looked it up and apparently the ukulele came from the Portuguese machete.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
The history of the hammered dulcimer has a very mysterious history, but long story short, the latest word is that it originated in the middle east.

Every hammered dulcimer player has his/her own theory of how old it is or where it was invented.
I love the sound of a hammered dulcimer .
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Back to American invented instruments: the glass armonica. Ben Franklin invented (or mechanized) it in 1761. Mozart, Beethoven, and others all wrote music for it. It's most famous appearance is probably in Saint-Saëns' Carnival of the Animals as part of the "Aquarium" movement. The association with marine environments that Saint-Saëns established continues to this day: for example, you can hear the glass armonica in Desplat's score for The Shape of Water which took home the Oscar at the most recent Academy Awards.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 PM

The great kazoo?

"A popular belief is that Alabama Vest, an African-American in Macon, Georgia, was the one who invented the kazoo around 1840, although there is no documentation to support that claim.[2] The story originated with the Kaminsky International Kazoo Quartet, a group of satirical kazoo players, which may cast doubt on the veracity of the story,[3] as does the name "Alabama Vest" itself."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic