The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2018, 11:29 PM

Default Gigging with my Emerald X20

I have been doing a lot of gigs using my Emerald X20 as my gigging guitar of choice over my Martin HD-28. For one, its nice to have a guitar to leave in the sun or cold at outside gigs. Secondly, I love the tone of it through my Shertler David Deluxe amps. Its easy on my fingers and gives a great plugged in sound with the on board factory supplied element UST.
So I have another gig this Friday, a big one, and I plan to use it again as my number one. Hate to leave the HD-28 in the case but life is hard, even for a guitar.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 05-05-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 AM

I haven't even looked at my HD28e since i got my Sable. I feel ya man.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 AM

I haven't had a wood guitar at a gig in...well... can't remember...was prolly just a kid then.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Yep. Since getting the X20, I haven't taken a wood guitar out. I get it.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:40 AM

My X20 is currently gigging it’s way round England in the safe hands of Mr. John Cotten and his Baptist orchestra and choir “The Sons of Jubal” .

As unlikely as this must sound to my friends here, it is in fact true.
I met Cotten at the airport and loaned him Amber for his UK tour, save him lugging a wooden one from the States.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
My X20 is currently gigging it’s way round England in the safe hands of Mr. John Cotten and his Baptist orchestra and choir “The Sons of Jubal” .

As unlikely as this must sound to my friends here, it is in fact true.
I met Cotten at the airport and loaned him Amber for his UK tour, save him lugging a wooden one from the States.
Wow, that’s waaaay cool Jon! Mighty nice of you to lend it to him. Are you planning to take in a show and watch John and the X20 in action?

I should have my new X20 in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Wow, that’s waaaay cool Jon! Mighty nice of you to lend it to him. Are you planning to take in a show and watch John and the X20 in action?

I should have my new X20 in a couple of weeks.
TBH, It’s probably not really my kind of thing Tom... Although I am sure they must make a mighty impressive sound.

They are playing The Royal Albert Hall !!!! next Saturday evening at an event called “Prom Praise”.

They finish up on Sunday at a church in central London, so I may try and catch that performance and meet up after to get my guitar back,
(hopefully un-baptised, that could mess with the electrics !)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
TBH, It’s probably not really my kind of thing Tom... Although I am sure they must make a mighty impressive sound.

They are playing The Royal Albert Hall !!!! next Saturday evening at an event called “Prom Praise”.

They finish up on Sunday at a church in central London, so I may try and catch that performance and meet up after to get my guitar back,
(hopefully un-baptised, that could mess with the electrics !)
Haha, that’s funny. It wouldn’t be my thing either, but I would certainly be open to the experience and it would be cool to see my guitar played at the RAH. That’s a story for your guitar...maybe a cool selling point!

Just curious...did John bring another guitar? How did you connect about this?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
>>>>>snip>>>>> it would be cool to see my guitar played at the RAH. That’s a story for your guitar...maybe a cool selling point!

Just curious...did John bring another guitar? How did you connect about this?
Firstly, I ain’t sellin’ , let’s just clear that up.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Mr. C asked on the forum if anyone knew where to hire guitars and amps in London.
So I did a bit of *legwork, put the word out, called in a few favours, that kind of thing*....

I believe there would be enormous cost , hassle and random quality of any instruments available.

So I offered to loan one or more of my humble selection of geetars and (it will come as no surprise to folks here ) although he graciously said that the beat-up Taylor 312 would be fine, I could tell he was itching to sample the Emerald

I met him and his party (over 150 of ‘em, yes really !) at Heathrow , we only had time for a brief chat (just as well really, 150 airport coffees would have been about $1,000 ) before the waiting coaches whisked them away on their whistle-stop tour of the land.

Cotten brought an electric bass with him (!!) as, for this tour, he has been relegated, sorry I mean promoted, to bass player of their orchestra.
It is actually his friend Gary who will be playing the guitar, least while they are working, John’s grown son was with them and he was also keen to try the X20, although I don’t think he plays guitar in their group.

*OK, OK,,, I Googled it ....
Old 05-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Cool backstory. Thanks for sharing, Jon. I’ll be curious if we’ll ever see a N(CF)GD from John Cotten!
Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

My Emerald custom was my primary gigging guitar all through the winter months. Now that warm weather as sprung the Martin is getting back in the game. I love both and both are dialed in fairly close (close enough) on the VE-8 and Bose S1 to be pretty much interchangeable with some minor volume and EQ tweaks done on the S1.

Each has it's strengths over the other.

The Emerald is (of course) impervious to temp swings and stays in tune very well although as long as the strings new and the temps are stable so does the Martin. Both have K&K's so no differences there. The Martin has slightly wider string spacing at 2 5/16" to Emerald's 2 1/4". If I was to do it over again I would have ordered the wider spacing on the Emerald as I've come to really like it. The Martin is lighter but just a bit. Probably the biggest difference between the two is how much attention the Emerald gets for it's looks. I get a ton of comments/compliments on it. And although the Martin is a beautiful guitar as well, I don't think I've ever had anyone say anything about it to me - ever!
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 PM

It's funny to find this thread as I just ordered an Emerald to replace my HD28 for gigging. As much as I love my Martin, it's just way too sensitive to temperature and humidity for me to trust it outdoors. I have no idea if all HD28s are like this or if it's just mine. The guitar is sensitive enough that I have a saddle for winter and one that's a different height for warmer weather. Hopefully a CF guitar will end the consistency issues.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post

I Hopefully a CF guitar will end the consistency issues.
Welcome wild one...
You shall be pleasantly surprised and darn happy and trouble free...I would guess...if I was a guesser of course... this thread has been waiting for you as you now know... Nice buy by the way! X-20 = A+ or something like that. (A wee math I done learnt once and now can finally apply and impress Unc Evy.)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Kramster's new math aside, welcome aboard, acwild, and congratulations on your X20. They are great guitars! The forward-thinking design, comfort, and sound changed how I consider guitars. You may find yourself like some of us... and your wood guitars won't see much use after you get your X20.

While you're waiting for it, spend some time on this sub-forum - you'll find plenty of enthusiastic folks who appreciate what carbon fiber brings to the table... um, the stage. Lots of great tips to get the most out of your new guitar.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 05-20-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Guest 928

Jon;
The Royal Albert Hall is a great venue. A friend of mine, the drummer in The Killers, played the hall and I can't imagine a better exposure--did you get any videos of your guitar in action?

Nephew K;
Wow! You have become a man of letters and numbers. I am very proud to have you as a family member.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber