The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Congrats! I've never missed having a tremolo on my hardtail Strat, but I have been happy to never have the tuning issues I've experienced with tremolo-equipped Strats that I've played. There are really only a limited number of things, mostly gimmicky things (dive bombs), that you can do with a tremolo but can't do with your fingers, at least close enough that it doesn't matter (i.e. you can bend up with your fingers, but you can't bend down unless you start from a bent-up note and let it go slack).
I've tried hard to emulate surf sounds with a hard tail... to no avail. Just doesn't sound authentic unless it's some Nokie repertoire. For the early stuff it's almost mandatory (at least for me...)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

You can do a lot with a tremolo effects box, but yes that might be another thing that you can't quite replace with fingers.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 04-19-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Congrats! I've never missed having a tremolo on my hardtail Strat, but I have been happy to never have the tuning issues I've experienced with tremolo-equipped Strats that I've played. There are really only a limited number of things, mostly gimmicky things (dive bombs), that you can do with a tremolo but can't do with your fingers, at least close enough that it doesn't matter (i.e. you can bend up with your fingers, but you can't bend down unless you start from a bent-up note and let it go slack).
The great thing about using a tremolo bar is to be able to use it with chords which you can't do with your fingers.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on your Strat! I haven't put a whammy bar in my Strats for years. Will you buy one? Enjoy.
You are missing out on half the sound possibilities you get from microtonal bends
Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Easiest way is to screw the claw screws until the bridge is flush with the body. Then tighten everything. Adding springs will have the same effect.
People who block a tremelo usually have no idea how to use it properly. If your idea of using a tremelo is surf music, you are missing out on hundreds of artists who do use it.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
...Best part is now you can mod it and make a really great playing and sounding guitar for less than the full price of a brand New MIM Strat. I’d start with 250k pots (I’m pretty sure they come with 500k), tuning pegs (I’m partial to vintage style), and a American standard tremolo bridge. Sounds like a lot but it won’t break the bank, and you’ll be very pleased!
+1 - if you're into DIY mods these make great platforms...
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
People who block a tremelo usually have no idea how to use it properly. If your idea of using a tremelo is surf music, you are missing out on hundreds of artists who do use it.

Mine is set up so all I have to do is add 2 springs to block it, or remove them to float it. It’s blocked most of the time but only because I like to do alternate tunings from time to time, especially drop D. Can’t do that with a floating tremolo.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 PM

I was a D size flat top player for decades and had a 2000 MIM Strat come my way through the family a few years back. Whether you use the trem or not the floating bridge is part of the vibe with these. Learn how to adjust this. Adjusting the claw is easy and adding springs is cheap if you go to heavier strings. In the end ff you can't live with it then block it with a small chunk of hardwood. A slice off an oak survey stake works well.

The pickups are easily adjusted up down and side to side with a screwdriver. Take the time to learn how the height of the pickups fits into your playing style, touch and choice of strings. It amazes me how many folks change out pickups without messing with the height adjustment.

I am a better player with a Telecaster, but I have a great time fine tuning my Strat.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your strat

I don’t play electric much these days but when I do it’s a strat.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Yep, strum a minor chord and give the bar a bit of a toggle or better still push the bar down slightly. Sounds fantastic.

Having said that, I use very sparingly and more lightly than I would perhaps like on my Stratocaster because I worry about tuning issues.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 Squier Strats and really like both of them a lot. One is a Squier deluxe in Daphne blue, and is a great guitar, really. The other is a pawn shop find, an Affinity made in Indonesia. It was on clearance and I got it for $15!! Score!

Squier makes good instruments. I played a standard Squier Tele as my main gigging ax for many years. It was a good guitar, and completely stock from the factory.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Easiest way is to screw the claw screws until the bridge is flush with the body. Then tighten everything. Adding springs will have the same effect.
Another thing that people do is put in a suitable piece of wood that prevents the trem block from moving the other way either.

Google should find all sorts of ideas for "blocking" a trem.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM

1neeto, in simple english, what would a 250k pot do over a 500k? psst, i mean simple english!! tia
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
1neeto, in simple english, what would a 250k pot do over a 500k? psst, i mean simple english!! tia
Found an explanation without too many technical terms:

"... 500K has more resistance than 250K. The lower the resistance the easier it is for treble to leak right through the pot and get lost, even if the pot is on "10". So the higher the resistance of the volume or tone pot, the more treble that stays in the audio signal and makes it to your amplifier when the guitar's volume and tone pots are on "10".

Single coils sound better to most of us if a little treble is allowed to get lost. So 250K is usual.

Humbuckers don't have as much treble as single coils so 500K is usual to resist treble getting lost.
"

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ct-performance
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Found an explanation without too many technical terms:

"... 500K has more resistance than 250K. The lower the resistance the easier it is for treble to leak right through the pot and get lost, even if the pot is on "10". So the higher the resistance of the volume or tone pot, the more treble that stays in the audio signal and makes it to your amplifier when the guitar's volume and tone pots are on "10".

Single coils sound better to most of us if a little treble is allowed to get lost. So 250K is usual.

Humbuckers don't have as much treble as single coils so 500K is usual to resist treble getting lost.
"

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ct-performance
Better than I could say it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars