The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Bugera...more Marshall and to my ears a bit darker

VHT - more Fendery...with attenuation (not sure if Bugera has it)...hand wired so more moddable if that matters

Pick what sounds best to your ears.
FYI/IME:
  • The Bugera V5 has always had a 5W/1W/0.1W attenuator (the other V-Series amps have a pentode/triode switch which serves much the same practical function, in addition to allowing for different tonalities) as well as individual pre/post gain controls, and a built-in digi-verb (surprisingly good for an onboard unit, BTW) to give the sound "air" and get rid of some of the small-cab boxiness...
  • Definitely darker than the VHT, to my ears more like a pre-Top Boost Vox than Marshall (especially with the upgraded Turbosound speaker) - nobody else has quite nailed that idiosyncratic Marshall midrange response, and it also lacks the Marshall brightness - and as much as I like my V5, it's not my first choice with full-size humbuckers...
  • While you'll never get into blackface/silverface territory, a speaker swap and the right tubes (I'm using the aforementioned Preferred Series 7025/7189 complement with an Eminence 820H - I understand the Jensen P8R/C8R is also a good choice, less efficient but with brighter highs) can get you some nice "TV-front" pre-Presence control tweed Fender tones - great if you want to add richness to a Strat/Tele in a studio setting, or cop a little early Chuck Berry mojo with a P-90 Gibson...
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I’d like advice on choosing between a Bugera v5 infinium and a VHT special six ultra. Am looking for a home practice amp for electric guitar (mainly blues/rock but clean is nice, too), and harmonica. These both get great reviews on guitar and harmonica sites. Price isn’t a big factor, but the Bugera is a lot less. I need something with variable output to avoid problems with my neighbors that share a common wall.
I would definitely go with the Bugera. Those are really awesome amps. In my mind they are some of the best small tube amps out there.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwguitar View Post
I would definitely go with the Bugera. Those are really awesome amps. In my mind they are some of the best small tube amps out there.
I bought the Bugera.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Bugera Amps are really good amps. They have a great sound. I own the V5 and for Jazz guitar it cant be beat. Certainly pricewise it cant be beat either!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FYI/IME:
  • Definitely darker than the VHT, to my ears more like a pre-Top Boost Vox than Marshall (especially with the upgraded Turbosound speaker) - nobody else has quite nailed that idiosyncratic Marshall midrange response, and it also lacks the Marshall brightness - and as much as I like my V5, it's not my first choice with full-size humbuckers...
While I have nothing against Bugeras as any amp choice depends on what you like hearing. Describing the warm and dark Bugera out of the box to a chimey Vox may be the first time I have ever heard or considered that comparison. Wow. That must be one hell of a speaker change.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Should have said sounds...
The relatively short time I played it in the store, I was impressed by the range of sound just adjusting the tone control, with the gain around 4 and volume at 7. Adding reverb was cool, too. It went from a nice, resonant clean sound to a hard blues/rock tone. I'm looking forward to this weekend when I'll have more time to experiment. I know what you mean about the modeling amps. The presets can sound kind of cool at first, but don't have that tube warmth and substance. For $200, it's a great value.
Congrats now the only thing we need is photos
I agree when I started on my back to electric quest I had originally planed to get and a budget practice amp with onboard digital modeling and played numerous of the more popular models . But remained unimpressed
In the end I got a small Orange Crush solid state amp that only has a digital reverb on board . Even being solid state It just sounded more as you say, substantive. Then the other budget modeling amps to my mind had I not already owned a good tube amp I would have probably gone with the Bug V5

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
While I have nothing against Bugeras as any amp choice depends on what you like hearing. Describing the warm and dark Bugera out of the box to a chimey Vox may be the first time I have ever heard or considered that comparison. Wow. That must be one hell of a speaker change.
Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHsfZWpERNE

Definitely Bugera/Vox closer than I gave credit to.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM

Meh. I think I take it back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM3jiMx5U2A
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHsfZWpERNE

Definitely Bugera/Vox closer than I gave credit to.
Quote:
Darn I was curious and really wanted to hear a good comparison but honestly (call my picky) but man those two videos leave a vast amounts to be desired.
Guess I'll have to go to GC and see If I can shoot them out.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

The videos compare the Bugera V22 ($399) with a Vox AC 15 ($649) - that’s a big price difference. In my case I was looking for a variable watt practice amp. At $200 for the Bugera V5 Infinium, the closest Vox model would have been the AC4TV - no longer available - which sold for $350. I got the Bugera because it fit my needs really well, and was a great value for the $$. The YouTube videos about the Bugera and VHT also weren’t so great. Being able to play the Bugera at GC made the choice easy.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars