The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Default It's time for The NHL Playoffs!

Tonight is the start of the most grueling journey to a championship in professional sports, The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If you're a hockey fan like I am you've been waiting for this day since October. I'll be rooting hard for my Pittsburgh Penguins to be the first team since 1983 to win the Stanley Cup three years in a row! Yes, I 3elieve!!

I'll also be keeping an eye on my other favorite teams, the Boston Bruins and Vegas Golden Knights, and wishing them the best!

Tell us about who you're rooting for, and who you think will raise Lord Stanley's Cup in 2018.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Thumbs up

Rootin' for Toronto. Hope Minnesota makes it
Old 04-11-2018, 12:45 PM

When they raise the Stanley Cup this year it will be missing Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull's names along with a bunch of other "6 Team League" players------the cup was getting too tall so they took off the ring with a bunch of the old names!

Fog
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 PM

The "Second Season" begins.

I'll pull for Vegas this year, since my Blackhawks were a mess this year. Cool to see a team make the playoffs in their innaugural season.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
When they raise the Stanley Cup this year it will be missing Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull's names along with a bunch of other "6 Team League" players------the cup was getting too tall so they took off the ring with a bunch of the old names!

Fog
A shame that all the names can't be on the Cup that's presented, but at least the ring that was removed is on display at the Hockey Hall Of Fame. As I understand it in 1958 the Cup was redesigned, and at that point several older rings were removed and put on permanent display.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-11-2018, 02:20 PM

My wife and I are rooting for our hometown teams.

Mine = Kings
Wife = Maple Leafs
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Talking

Quote:

Fog
SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Fog
Not quite what it seems. Since 1958, five bands of championship names are engraved around the base of the Cup. When the rings become full, the oldest band is removed and preserved in Lord Stanley’s Vault at the Great Esso Hall in the Hockey Hall of Fame. A blank replacement band is then put in its place to be filled with the names of the next champions. No championship team names from the 1928-29 to the 1953-54 season are currently on the Cup.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
My wife and I are rooting for our hometown teams.

Mine = Kings
Wife = Maple Leafs
I think Kings vs Knights and Leafs vs Bruins are the toughest series to call in round one. Two matchups that feature four very good teams which should provide fans with a lot of great hockey! It seems a shame that two of those four will be eliminated in the first round.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Fog
Yes, it's a shame those players' names will be removed from the Cup.4

Let's go Bruins and Pens! Boston lost 4 of their last 5 so that doesn't sit well with me. It's not easy to just turn it on. Hopefully a few days rest helps the team refocus.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Pens up on the Flyers 3-0 at the end of the first period. I think the Flyers playoff inexperience hurt them. I expect a big pushback from them in period #2.

Evgeni Malkin with a highlight reel goal. Still rankles me that he wasn't named as one of the 100 all-time best players.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Let’s go Pens! 3rd year in a row would be nice..
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM

Go Leafs Go, I've been a Leafs fan since the 60's. It's been too long since "67 it's time they win it again.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Pens up on the Flyers 3-0 at the end of the first period. I think the Flyers playoff inexperience hurt them. I expect a big pushback from them in period #2.

Evgeni Malkin with a highlight reel goal. Still rankles me that he wasn't named as one of the 100 all-time best players.
Wow; 7-0 for the Pens. Crosby with a hat trick and a +5. Malkin should have been on that top 100 list for sure. Don Cherry rarely speaks positive of Russian players but he did for Malkin on this.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow; 7-0 for the Pens. Crosby with a hat trick and a +5. Malkin should have been on that top 100 list for sure. Don Cherry rarely speaks positive of Russian players but he did for Malkin on this.
Oh boy, what a dominant performance by Sid and the Pens. I still expect the Flyers to make a series of this. Pens better not let up in game 2.

Although Sid's "natural" hat trick was amazing the stat that I find most remarkable from this game is that Matt Murray has now pitched 3 consecutive shutouts in his last 3 playoff games!! Is that a record? Seems like it might be.

Also the Jets beat the Wild 3-2. Only saw the last 5 minutes of that game. Looked pretty tight and hard fought.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic