The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM

I live in southern Iowa and would not be without either AWD or 4WD. We have an AWD Buick Enclave that we really like (we've had great luck with Buicks). However, being AWD it does have a tendency to "snowplow" a little going around a corner in snowy conditions. The secret is going slow and learning how to control it with the throttle. But, even if you don't often need AWD/4WD, it's really nice to have when you do. Just being able to pull away from a stop or go uphill in snow is a very nice advantage. I don't know how many times I've gone around cars struggling to get away from a stop intersection (especially going uphill) when it's slick. Our Enclave is primarily my wife's car and it gives us both some peace of mind in the winter as she drives to and from work. BTW, my vehicle is a 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy Silverado (it also pulls our 5th wheel camper).
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 AM

I bought a leftover new 2016 Ram Bighorn 1500 4x4 with the Hemi a little over a year ago. I'm a truck guy, a builder and own land and need a truck.

This truck has a clutch pack type transfer case with an "auto" button. It's awesome. You could just leave it in "auto" all the time, but I don't.

It doesn't bind when you turn it on dry pavement and gets me out of bad snowy muddy sleety slop all the time.

I'll never go back to 2wd. My wife has a Jeep Patriot that is full time awd and it'll eat snow for breakfast.

MOPAR !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I've eaten snow before. Just not the yellow snow

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I bought a leftover new 2016 Ram Bighorn 1500 4x4 with the Hemi a little over a year ago. I'm a truck guy, a builder and own land and need a truck.

This truck has a clutch pack type transfer case with an "auto" button. It's awesome. You could just leave it in "auto" all the time, but I don't.

It doesn't bind when you turn it on dry pavement and gets me out of bad snowy muddy sleety slop all the time.

I'll never go back to 2wd. My wife has a Jeep Patriot that is full time awd and it'll eat snow for breakfast.

MOPAR !
One winter in Michigan I drove a 2014 or 2015 year model Chrysler 300 with the 5.7L V8 and AWD system.

I was extremely impressed with it. The car handled like a RWD car (which I very much prefer), until the stability system detected the need to engage the front axle. Even then it didn't understeer or "plow" like typical 4WD or AWD vehicles tend to.

I'm generally not a big fan of Mopar, but that AWD system performed so well that a major critic such as myself could find no flaw.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Frankly, this is the most important statement in this thread.

Tires.

4x4 and AWD get you going, but they don't help you steer or stop.

A front wheel drive car with quality winter tires will drive circles around a 4x4 or AWD car equipped with all-season tires, when the conditions are snowy and slippery.
Here in CT, I drove around predawn hours primarily in the gutter on the wrong side of the road delivering newspapers, stop and go, to 150+ residential mailboxes, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 7 years.

I drove through snowstorms that were so bad the governor closed the roads and not even the mail was delivered (of course, he did so AFTER I'd finished working).

I drove the entire time in a 1997 Ford Aspire like the one below. It's a very lightweight front wheel drive 4 door hatchback with good ground clearance and excellent all around visibility from the driver's seat (very important for that type of driving). I never got stuck.

IMO - The critical factors for safely driving in the snow are good tires, good ground clearance, light weight, and front wheel drive.

Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 05-26-2018, 05:22 AM

the original question was 4X2 or awd vehicle- certainly awd, then it shifted to pick-up trucks, my idea of a truck is just that, not those 4 door suv versions with a bed large enough to hold a suitcase, anyway- 4X4 wins out here-period, i use mine in the summer even so i dont get stuck in mud or fields, as mentioned in another thread, tires are extremely important, i see this negligence every winter, i consider under 6/32 not suitable for snow, the reason i mentioned the truck idea is because a regular truck doesnt have the balanced weight in the rear
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic