The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Looking for a classical guitar for live gigs

Looking for value/sound recommendations from this great group.

I’d like to get a full size classical, solid wood with electronics that sounds good when plugged in. Would prefer non-cutaway but with a cutaway is ok as well. Somewhere in the $500-$600 range though less expensive but great sounding is fine.

I’d appreciate thoughts and, as always, know the members will bring it!!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Sorry I can't help you out, but if anyone gives you a decent recommendation on an all solid full size classical with electronics and no cutaway for $600 or less, you can bet a lot of us will be anxiously following your search, along with, eventually, the NGD and full review. In my experience, the only things to meet your requirements would have to be used and private sale. Laminated back and sides probably wouldn't have any noticeable (positive) impact on sound in that price range, and may well offer a bit more structural reliability since there's a bit less that can go wrong. Some people think neck width matters, I've never even noticed that as a variable, but when you get to electrified classical people like to talk radiused fretboards and narrower nuts. Again, sorry I can't offer anything by way of a guitar, but these are the issues that occur to me. Well, actually, if unplugged sound isn't a top priority, maybe a used Yamaha ntx700 (new) or an ncx1200 (used) might do the job. Great electronics, excellent playability, consistent QC, but mayhaps a bit overbuilt and "crossover-ish" if you're looking for a traditional classical.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

This might be what you need. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=508943

Steve
Old 05-10-2018, 10:41 AM

I just sent you an email.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Red face

I would agree about the nice electronics in the Yamaha NTX and NCX series guitars. I had the NTX700 and the amplified tones were better than the sound of it acoustically. The thin body and robust construction inhibited the tone, nuance, and volume, I thought. I did not care for the narrow nut width. Technically, the NTX series are more “crossover” than classical guitar and I had more desire for good acoustic tone than plugged in capability. The NCX Series are built much more in line with what one would expect from a standard classical guitar. I cannot speak to the acoustic tone of the NCX models since I have not played any of those.
If you can come to terms with laminated back and sides, your options will be much greater. Finding a new all solid wood “non-electrified” classical in your price target is something that I have not seen. Maybe others can offer some guidance. There are some really good sounding solid top classical guitars with laminated back and sides that are very reasonably priced. Córdoba might be considered at the top of the game for best sounding classical at your price point. There are a lot of options from a number of manufacturers if you are open to laminated back and sides.
You could even consider a nice, straight up classical like a Córdoba C5 or C7, Or another brand/model of good sounding moderately priced classical, then install a passive soundboard transducer like something from jjb to keep the cost down. If you find you need to shape the sound some before your amp/pa, you could run through an external acoustic preamp/DI, especially if you already have that sort of stuff in your gigging arsenal. I keep pondering doing this very thing to my little C5, just to have an option for a plugged in nylon string sound when I am in that sort of mood. I think the electrified nylon tone works so nicely for jazzy stuff or Chet/John Knowles type stuff...... not that I can play any of that stuff with any sort of competence.

Last edited by gmr; 05-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Yamaha NTX series are nice instruments, and / but, as noted, they are NOT "full sized classical guitar".
Old 05-11-2018, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

I am a broken record... But you should look at Cordoba's offerings in a price point a bit above yours, and then look on ebay or reverb for a nice used one at your point. Yamaha builds great guitars, but they can't compete with Cordoba in the classical/flamenco market. I've owned tons of both and Cordobas sound better.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:40 AM

Not sure as to your local price, but La Patrie:

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

I've had a few but my current and new mahogany/cedar Concert is great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical