The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Default New Personal PA from LR Baggs

This looks interesting. No pricing yet.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/synapse

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
This looks interesting. No pricing yet.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/synapse
This is exactly the kind of thing I was interested in hearing about from NAAM. I just watched the marketing video and, holy cow, Lloyd Baggs can sell. Take my money. Heck, I don't even need a 2 channel system. He speaks my love language: engineering.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:36 PM

500 watts? Wow. Good video, anxious to take it for a spin, hope it's available soon.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM

My interest is peaked. I knew I could count on the AGF this morning.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Yes, looks quite interesting. Anybody heard of a price yet?

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM

My duo partner checked in with the Baggs company. Weight is 38 lbs, which is a deal breaker for us.
Price was around 2 thousand.
Sounds really good in the videos, though.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
My duo partner checked in with the Baggs company. Weight is 38 lbs, which is a deal breaker for us.
Price was around 2 thousand.
Sounds really good in the videos, though.
I bet it will sound incredible, but $2000? If that's true, Larry Fishman will name a grandkid after Lloyd Baggs in gratitude. There can't be many other "personal PAs" in that price range. That's almost Bose territory.

Moving on to other gripes, placing the mixer on the back is not exactly convenient for a single performer trying to make adjustments mid-set. Just having the mixer on the speaker at all is a pain, but at least the Fishman has theirs on the front.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 AM

Looks interesting, shame it's twice the cost of a Schertler Jam.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:18 AM

Looks similar to the AER Cube. Somebody must buy those but many more buy the Compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 AM

for 50% more you get 360°

Will this amp have the same destiny as the late LR Baggs A-ref? (taht also solved the woofer-tweeter alignment problematic)

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 AM

Also a deal breaker for me at that weight and price... Would love to get one if it was half the weight with battery power
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Also a deal breaker for me at that weight and price... Would love to get one if it was half the weight with battery power
To quote the late, great Don Zimmer (aka "the gerbil"): "If 'if's' and 'but's' were candy and nuts, we'd all have a hell of a Christmas."

At $2K and 38 lbs, I boldly predict that perhaps dozens will be sold - mostly to people who can easily afford yet don't need to move them, or who employ people who will move 'em for them...
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 AM

I am always interested in these personal PA systems. However, I always have a hard time justifying them. I totally get their appeal but if this is $2000.00, I would much rather put my money into one or two powered speakers and a mixer. Down the road that will come in handy. Having a full sized PA is always ideal, even if you normally only take one speaker to use at a show.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am always interested in these personal PA systems. However, I always have a hard time justifying them. I totally get their appeal but if this is $2000.00, I would much rather put my money into one or two powered speakers and a mixer. Down the road that will come in handy. Having a full sized PA is always ideal, even if you normally only take one speaker to use at a show.

That seems to be a popular opinion. The only counter to that is the benefit of coverage and dispersion from these line systems, or horn system, in this case. For certain long narrow rooms the Bose,JBL, Fishman, etc simply get to the back better without blasting the audience in the front. And, one handle portability is great.

For most square shaped rooms, a speaker on a stand is just as effective.

So, as a solo artist who plays in different venues, there is value in having a single portable system that gives great sound all the way to the back of any room, and acts as a monitor without feedback.

Bose has sold enough L1s over the years to solo artists to prove the concept works really well for them.

Since I don't play for a living, but still require PA gear occasionally for performances, I have a hard time justifying another system, or spending $2-3k for the Bose. Some of the professionals I play with swear by their Bose L1s. I love the way they sound too. I wish Line 6 would release a sub $1,000 stage source with a line array attachment. I'd sell my current gear and buy that. In the meantime, I'm curious about the JBL product that has more power than the L1 compact at the same price. If I thought the JBL mixer would work for me, I'd sell my gear and buy one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That seems to be a popular opinion. The only counter to that is the benefit of coverage and dispersion from these line systems, or horn system, in this case. For certain long narrow rooms the Bose,JBL, Fishman, etc simply get to the back better without blasting the audience in the front. And, one handle portability is great.

For most square shaped rooms, a speaker on a stand is just as effective.

So, as a solo artist who plays in different venues, there is value in having a single portable system that gives great sound all the way to the back of any room, and acts as a monitor without feedback.

Bose has sold enough L1s over the years to solo artists to prove the concept works really well for them.

Since I don't play for a living, but still require PA gear occasionally for performances, I have a hard time justifying another system, or spending $2-3k for the Bose. Some of the professionals I play with swear by their Bose L1s. I love the way they sound too. I wish Line 6 would release a sub $1,000 stage source with a line array attachment. I'd sell my current gear and buy that. In the meantime, I'm curious about the JBL product that has more power than the L1 compact at the same price. If I thought the JBL mixer would work for me, I'd sell my gear and buy one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good point. One counter argument then would be to get a speaker like the QSC K10 which has a very wide dispersion. I see your point though, some of those personal PA systems sound fantastic and definitely have an ability to fill a room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification