The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Eastmans are some of the best guitars for the money. They are equivalent in many respects to extremely high end instruments. Most notably, they sound incredible. So responsive, even to a light touch... and loud. Glad you found yourself a lifer! It's a good feeling.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

That guitar sounds great! Looks good too, Eastman does a nice sunburst.

Enjoyed your performance, well done!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 AM

I own an Eastman E100-LTD which is their 00 size 12 fret limited edition they put out last year. Funny but the limited edition is a down grade no frill guitar, matt finish. I wanted something this size and road worthy, no worries about scratching it. To be perfectly honest there are a few flaws but nothing major.

It has a great tone and wonderful playability after a good set up. My brother inlaw played this for hours on Christmas day and wants one real bad. He found out they are no longer available and has been badgering non stop to sell it to him. He is a professional musician and knows good tone when he hears it. Not gonna happen, I'm keeping it
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Great song, guitar, and performance. Reminds me a little of Good Time Charlie got the blues.

A question, the percussion ( beating sound) through out the song, was that you tapping the guitar or was someone else doing it ?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 AM

I bought a new/old stock 2008 Eastman AC710s in early 2009, if memory serves. It’s a one-off slothead Englemann spruce/rosewood OM, and I paid $550 including shipping from a store in Arizona. I bought it to use as a beater, but it looked, and still does, much too good for that. It gives my Martin OM-21 a run for the money. Other guitarists are impressed with its sound.

I haven’t kept up with what Eastman has been doing, but there early ventures in flattops were great values.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Great song, guitar, and performance. Reminds me a little of Good Time Charlie got the blues.

A question, the percussion ( beating sound) through out the song, was that you tapping the guitar or was someone else doing it ?
It's me. Guilty as charged. I've never been really good at clean strumming, especially when cross-picking. If you find it annoying, I take full responsibility.

sm
Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It's me. Guilty as charged. I've never been really good at clean strumming, especially when cross-picking. If you find it annoying, I take full responsibility.

sm
Oh no, not annoying, I was just wondering.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Scott,

That is one great sounding guitar! Thoroughly enjoyed listening to the song!

I started looking at Eastman's about 5 years ago or so, and have had several cross my path, thanks to living about 30 min from Soundpure for most of those years. I downsized my collection a few years ago, and was without an Eastman for a while. Last fall, I picked up one of their "budget" E1OM models, and fell in love again. Then I snagged a closeout AC320 (sitka/sapele) dread in January that is fantastic. Right now, they're all I own, and I'm perfectly content. Well...I'd love to have an E20OM TC, but that'll have to wait!

I say all this because they are really great instruments, period. I had some QC issues on one of the earlier models I tried, but haven't noticed any of that in recent years. Just dang good instruments at a really good price.

I hope you continue to enjoy yours!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM

That's a lovely, heartfelt performance. The guitar sounds (and looks) gorgeous!

I am also impressed that a Shure SM58 mic can so effectively capture an acoustic guitar.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

sm
I noticed it as well, but I find it adds a nice percussive effect. Don't change a thing!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 03-11-2019, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I noticed it as well, but I find it adds a nice percussive effect. Don't change a thing!
Oh, okay. You know, when you have lemons, make lemonade. I'm not sure I like it myself, but there you have it.

Thanks so much for your comments. Such a beautiful song.

sm
Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done. I have the first or second E15ss. I took a chance and it paid off big time. Anyone interested can buy it in my estate sale. I have an E10P. I had an E20P but thought the bass was a little heavy so it found a new home. I have an E20-00 on the way. I've only had one dog. A dealer sold me one with a seized truss rod. I found out too late. The Eastmans hang on my wall with the Martins and Taylors and give no ground. Eastman makes great guitars.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Scott,

I have the E20om, which I purchased from a guy who bought it at the factory in China. It is a very impressive sounding guitar. Can't believe I had the good fortune to buy it.

Where did you learn the tab for this version of Dutchman, which I find to be quite faithful to Steve Goodman's rendition?

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Scott,

I have the E20om, which I purchased from a guy who bought it at the factory in China. It is a very impressive sounding guitar. Can't believe I had the good fortune to buy it.

Where did you learn the tab for this version of Dutchman, which I find to be quite faithful to Steve Goodman's rendition?
Hah. I lifted it note-for-note from Goodman, as close as possible, and and it took me FOREVER, I mean, probably years. This was back before digital and slow-downers and all that, so I had to do it bit by bit. Despite what the vid may show, I don't have the world's best ear, so it took forever. But I hung with it and now it's mostly pretty smooth. Thanks.

My very favorite version is the Mike Smith solo version he performed at Stevie's memorial concert in Chicago. Very slow and just packed with emotion. I really love Steve, but sometimes I find his version a little too peppy. Michael's is slow and fingerstyle and really nails it.

But thanks. Just love the song so much, as I did Steve.

scott
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Two years ago, I jumped on the Eastman train, and I haven't looked back. Their materials and build quality are excellent, and their acoustic guitars have a sound that's uniquely their own: plenty of clarity, well-balanced, with a little shimmer on top. We have several Eastman guitars in the house, including a handful of dreads, two OMs, a OO 12-fretter, and a travel guitar (that I won!). All of them are 2016-2018, mostly keepers, and I am so fortunate to have such a variety of amazing guitars.

Also, they've overcome their early production issues, plus a fair share of misconceptions that lumped them with other far-east mega-factories, and it's really nice to see the increased acceptance from the online community. Nice job with this thread, Scott.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion