The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Default FedEx Suspends Money-Back Guarantee

Yes, they've self-excluded themselves. I shipped a new guitar from Atlanta to Connecticut on Monday, paid $252.67 for second day delivery, Wednesday before noon.

It was $85 to arrive the same day but no guarantee as to time and I was hoping to save the nitro-lacquered guitar from sitting in a terminal overnight. The Fedex guy encouraged me to do the two day for $252.67.

But never did he tell me the guarantee for the service was suspended.

The package did arrive a day late, mid afternoon and for that I'm thankful but my call to customer service to get a reduction was fruitless. Because, "FedEx Suspends Money-Back Guarantee".

So just a word of caution to guitar shippers. You don't always get what you pay for,..

And I always ship w/ FedEx, this is the first time I've had an issue. And again, the package did arrive w/ no issues other than late.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

So is it a temporary suspension because of COVID and crazy weather the country endured the last few weeks? I know delivery schedules by both UPS and Fedex have been real hickey lately. Glad I don’t have a guitar out for shipment...and delighted yours arrived safely.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I think it's due to the weather in different areas across the country at the moment. I got a message from FedEx about this a couple weeks ago when the storms in Texas were going on, think they are still experiencing a lot of delays.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Was driving in town and spotted a FedEx truck with the rear door wide open this morning. Was able to pull up next to him and let him know. He jumped out at the next light and closed it. Didn't see that many guitars jumping out...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-05-2021, 01:10 PM

About 25 years ago Fedex had a tv commercial that said they would absolutely guarantee next day deliveries. So when my packaged didn't arrive the next day, I called them on it and they offered to reimburse me for the delay. I'm not sure they still guarantee next day deliveries but you no longer see those tv commercials.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Here’s the exclusion language.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/service-...guarantee.html
Old 03-05-2021, 01:49 PM

I refuse to use FedEx because of the number of times they've messed up on me.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:31 PM

UPS sent me an "Exception" message yeasterday. However, they suspended ALL delivery time and date guarantees long ago, so no surprise.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:03 PM

It seems the fault lies with the sales guy who up sold you on service that they suspended the guarantee for. That stinks.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It seems the fault lies with the sales guy who up sold you on service that they suspended the guarantee for. That stinks.
I would agree.

For a half minute I considered complaining at the FedEx Office where I shipped. But, the client is happy, he's unboxed the guitar and is enjoying it.

I have lacquer to spray today and work to do and complaining further wouldn't do any good as far as the clients shipping bucks go, so lesson learned.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I would agree.

For a half minute I considered complaining at the FedEx Office where I shipped. But, the client is happy, he's unboxed the guitar and is enjoying it.

I have lacquer to spray today and work to do and complaining further wouldn't do any good as far as the clients shipping bucks go, so lesson learned.
But didn’t you still pay for a service they weren’t currently offering? I’d be a little ticked off by that. I’m glad the guitar arrived at its destination safely, but that sounds like a ripoff to me.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsdad View Post
But didn’t you still pay for a service they weren’t currently offering? I’d be a little ticked off by that. I’m glad the guitar arrived at its destination safely, but that sounds like a ripoff to me.
They're technically offering the service, there just isn't a guarantee behind it. So it's basically a crapshoot. Again goes back to the sales guy being a sleaze.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:01 PM

In regards to suspension of warranties and other previously guaranteed services, never let a good pandemic or tragedy go to waste.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Selling the service is one thing. The OP wanted the service and paid for it.

Describing the guarantees is another issue. I don’t think the person qualifies for being called a “sleaze” because he didn’t offer the information. I don’t think anyone knows that he/she intentionally withheld the information, and without that knowledge I don’t think an opinion on their character holds up.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-05-2021, 06:30 PM

Not here to bash FedEx, but let me say FedEx has had some serious issues in the last two weeks. We had a large shipment of our sterile medical devices sit out on the tarmac in Memphis and get destroyed by the snow and rain. We heard they such a backup that they had at least hundreds of shipping containers sitting out in the elements during the snow episode.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion