The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 02:20 PM
Runaway Tomato

Default Taylor 814ce DLX V-Class -- One Year Review

I've owned what Taylor calls its "Flagship" guitar for one year now, and have played the thing relentlessly and almost daily, both at home and on stage, during the entire year. The guitar is a 2019 model, which includes the Gotoh 510 tuners and the arm bevel.

First, the negatives, or "Meh" items:

ES2: Meh. The ES2 is not bad, but its not that good, either. In the hands of an experienced sound tech, it does sound like a guitar; but it doesn't transmit the extraordinary tone this $4,000 instrument is able to produce. My suggestion to Taylor would be to buy up or make a contract with LR Baggs. LR Baggs Element pickups made my Gibsons sound great. Right now, I mic the Taylor with an SM57 (which is very, very good) but may install a "real" pickup some day. The Expression System seems to be a "nice try".

The Gotoh 510s: Meh. They're not bad, and haven't been problematic -- but frankly I cannot tell the difference between these 510s and the Taylor tuners on my 110e. Now, when someone says they have Gotoh 510s, my first thought is "So?" The Rotomatics on my old Gibsons were easily their equal.

And now the positives:

Build and Finish: After a year, I have yet to find a flaw. I don't need to go into detail, but be assured every seam, joint, inlay, binding, everything is perfect. The attention to detail and quality control at Taylor, if this guitar and my 110e are examples, is exemplary. So far (knock on wood) I've not scratched the finish yet. (Just the fact that I typed that statement into the computer means I'll drop the guitar down the stairs this afternoon)

Tone: It's Sitka over EIR - What else is there to say? The tone is evolving and changing during its first year, especially in the last 4 months or so, breaking in nicely. It has a very pleasing bass, with plenty of depth (it vibrates my tummy even when fingerpicking lightly), but not too overpowering. The balance and separation is extraordinary, which is important to me because 75% of my playing is flesh-on-string fingerpicking. What this means in my little world is that a pluck on the B or high E is as loud as the alternating bass (E and A strings generally), which is relaxing. I no longer have to hit the treble strings harder than the bass to even the volume, especially on finger-rolls. The guitar has a lot of power and volume, probably more than my previous Gibsons (which were a B-25, J-45, J-50 and Hummingbird Pro). It's definitely not as loud as the 110e, however. I use Medium/Light Elixir (12-56) 80/20 Nanoweb. The heavier gauge enhances the bass response, methinks.

V Bracing: Many AGF'ers have the advantage over me when discussing the V-Bracing, because I have never played an 814 with X-Bracing and cannot make a comparison. Also, other than a couple of rare and small chance encounters, my 110e and 814ce DLX are the only Taylor guitars I've ever seen, much less played. However, I can compare the 814 and its V-Class to other high-enders I've owned or played extensively, specifically Gibson and to a lesser extent Martin.

The Taylor website identifies the major advantages of V bracing as an increase in sustain and volume, plus better intonation (see https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...-bracing/story). Compared to every Gibson I've owned, or Martin I've played, their claim is true; however I need to caveat that I'm comparing a GA to a bunch of Dreads. I don't understand the logic behind how intonation would be improved with a bracing pattern, but it's true - I play a lot of chords up the neck (D=x-x-o-11-10-10; A=x-o-11-9-10; A7=x-o-11-12-10; Em=o-10-9-o-7-o; etc) and the tuning on the 814 is deadly accurate, while on other guitars it's off a bit (including my Yairi and 110e). The sustain on the 814ce is to die for - it rings out forever, like a piano. I have never encountered a guitar with this much sustain. Volume? My 110e with X bracing is louder than the 814, but the 110e is a Dread. I think the 814 is louder than any of my Gibsons, but if so it's a close call. They were also Dreads except the B-25. So does the V-Brace make my 814ce DLX louder? The jury is still out - but the guitar is very loud. I've never compared it to an X braced 814.

Conclusion: Is it a keeper? Hell yes. Is it worth the $4,000 investment? Ask me again in another 5 years, but as of now the money seems well spent. Would I recommend this instrument to others? Difficult question. The signature Taylor tone is not for everyone, as any AGF member can testify, and many of the attributes I treasure in a guitar (balance, clarity) may not be that important to, for example, heavy strummers. Nevertheless, this guitar does what it does excellently.

Grade: A+. For me and my style, anyway - - - -

Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2021, 02:37 PM

Mark, thanks for the one year review. A+ is probably the grade I would give the 814ce DLX V-class myself if I had the opportunity.

Do you see yourself getting a third Taylor at some point?
Old 03-05-2021, 03:02 PM

Great review! Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 03-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Mark, thanks for the one year review. A+ is probably the grade I would give the 814ce DLX V-class myself if I had the opportunity.

Do you see yourself getting a third Taylor at some point?
Thanks Drew. No, I think my pair of Taylors is fine right now - but you know how GAS works
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2021, 03:49 PM

Really love the guitar, I ultimately took a 414ce-R since the updated ones are similair to the pre-Andy 8 line up (and they cost more). it’s less flashy and same material. Yes, some say the 8s get better wood but that is limited to visuals. They can’t test the wood for tone after all and tbh mine is beautiful, just has the white binding and acrylic vs fancy Inlays etc.

Would be fun to A/B them for sound differences regardless.

But in general I agree with mostly everything you say. The ES2 pickup system is nothing amazing, but I think it works well for an easy live sound and the adjustments are easy enough to make on the fly. I would prefer to see it less ‘piezo’ sounding but overall it’s low maintenance and easy to use and I don’t see any reason to update it. serious recording situations you’re going to be using a mic regardless.

Tuners on this are ‘Taylor Nickel’ but they look chrome. Will be interesting to see if they age to look like a 60s Gibson. I havnt used gotoh tuners to say if they are better or worse or just different. If yours are the smoked nickel i do think they look better.

I’m a big Gibson guy and I have to say Taylor somehow makes their guitars perfect every time.

As for V class? I find that Taylor has been honest about the quality of their new feautures even if they are selling to past the point of classyness. To my ear as well some of the disharmony of loud chords is gone. Likely in mind to the way the V stabilizes the bridge? I think maybe in X bracing its vibrating back and forth on the large un braced piece of thr top where it sits and with the V the bridge is more stable? I don’t know, I don’t think Taylor put any thought into it either based on Andy’s notebooks.

But I will probably indulge in a K14ce, 814ce or 811e down the road. The radiused arm rest and all the QoL features I want, I just don’t want carry around $4k or sparkle and get attention. The 4s are more suited to to my taste aesthetically.
I’m glad to hear someone else appreciates Taylor having actually lived with one. Many people don’t give it a chance simply becuase it’s not Martin
Old 03-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Always great to find a guitar you really love. Congrats, Mark!

Old 03-05-2021, 03:58 PM

I agree with most of what you've written, except that I like the Gotoh 510s on my K14ce and Custom GA. Mostly for the 21:1 ratio which really lets me fine-dial in the tuning. The StroboPlus HD tuner really triggers my OCD to try and make the wheel stop spinning.

That said, they're heavy (and the guitar overall is heavy) so I do appreciate on my more lightly built guitars, the open backed Waverlys which add to the lightness of the build.

I've posted in other areas about my feelings on v-bracing. I've played a few v-braced guitars that surprised me in a good way, and many more that didn't inspire me to take them home. But that statement could be made for just about any make and model of guitar I've tried in my life, so I don't think I have any less of a hit-rate with v-braced guitars.

Many say they lack bass. I disagree to a certain extent. My theory is that they accentuate the mids and highs, especially as you go further up the neck. Notes above the 5th fret really ring out with nearly the same strength as below the 5th, even if you keep your pick attack constant, whereas in most guitars there's a noticeable decline in volume the higher up you go on the neck (you pick a little harder to compensate).

My theory is that with the mids and highs so accentuated, the bass just recedes when it has to share space with those notes. When I pluck my K14c bass strings alone, there's plenty of bass there, comparable to similar non v- guitars I own. But when I strum an open chord, and the mids and the highs really ring out, the bass notes are less noticeable. Kind of like how you lose the sound of your TV when other people in the room start talking.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 03-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Nice review. I enjoyed your honest candor good, bad and meh. LOL

Well done.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM

Mark, I appreciate the update and your honesty about how you feel about your guitar. I'm not the biggest fan of the ES2 either, but I will say that the DI you use can make a difference. And not necessarily a guitar specific DI, even just a nice active DI can make them sound much better.

I currently own 2 Taylors with Gotoh 510's and 2 with the normal Taylor tuners, and I like the 510's much better. They seem more stable (not that the regular ones are bad), but the increased gear ratio allows me to tune precisely a little bit easier. I'm pretty picky about the intonation on my guitars, so I definitely notice the difference. Peterson tuners have spoiled me.

I kind of agree with the generalization that Taylors are bright sounding (or lacking in bass, depending on how you look at it). I don't love the sound of every Taylor I play, but I love the ones I ended up buying. I actually sold one of my X-braced 614's recently because it was TOO bassy. My other X-braced 614 is much more balanced to my ears. I guess my tastes have changed a bit over the years.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 PM

I've had my 814ce since 2006. My favorite guitar.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:53 PM

Happy that you found "the one." Enjoy it!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:09 PM

Very nice review and thanks for the great information. I was very enamored with this very Taylor in my recent shopping, and I played a lot of Taylors in the same setting. Of all the guitars I tried, the Taylors had the most consistency in sound and build. For me, the feel in hand and general perception of quality was a notch above the other volume producers I tried.

The value proposition did come to mind when playing one a second time right along with a HD-28 that cost substantially less. However, I feel the quality of workmanship and the NT neck justify the premium for a long-term purchase. I have to begrudgingly admit I still consider it a value and would have gladly purchased one if the specs aligned with my preferences. Taylor deserves its consideration by many as one of the standards in the industry.

Enjoy this beautiful instrument and don't let anyone talk you into a trade!

Best,

Mac
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
. . . . My theory is that with the mids and highs so accentuated, the bass just recedes when it has to share space with those notes . . . .
This is my thought also.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2021, 10:48 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAudi View Post
Really love the guitar, I ultimately took a 414ce-R since the updated ones are similair to the pre-Andy 8 line up (and they cost more). it’s less flashy and same material. Yes, some say the 8s get better wood but that is limited to visuals. They can’t test the wood for tone after all and tbh mine is beautiful, just has the white binding and acrylic vs fancy Inlays etc.

Would be fun to A/B them for sound differences regardless.

But in general I agree with mostly everything you say. The ES2 pickup system is nothing amazing, but I think it works well for an easy live sound and the adjustments are easy enough to make on the fly. I would prefer to see it less ‘piezo’ sounding but overall it’s low maintenance and easy to use and I don’t see any reason to update it. serious recording situations you’re going to be using a mic regardless.

Tuners on this are ‘Taylor Nickel’ but they look chrome. Will be interesting to see if they age to look like a 60s Gibson. I havnt used gotoh tuners to say if they are better or worse or just different. If yours are the smoked nickel i do think they look better.

I’m a big Gibson guy and I have to say Taylor somehow makes their guitars perfect every time.

As for V class? I find that Taylor has been honest about the quality of their new feautures even if they are selling to past the point of classyness. To my ear as well some of the disharmony of loud chords is gone. Likely in mind to the way the V stabilizes the bridge? I think maybe in X bracing its vibrating back and forth on the large un braced piece of thr top where it sits and with the V the bridge is more stable? I don’t know, I don’t think Taylor put any thought into it either based on Andy’s notebooks.

But I will probably indulge in a K14ce, 814ce or 811e down the road. The radiused arm rest and all the QoL features I want, I just don’t want carry around $4k or sparkle and get attention. The 4s are more suited to to my taste aesthetically.
I’m glad to hear someone else appreciates Taylor having actually lived with one. Many people don’t give it a chance simply becuase it’s not Martin
Great post!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 PM

Interesting observation on the sustain. I had a 712ce V braced and on a whim picked up a Martin 000-16e, which is about half the price. The first thing I noticed was the Martin had way more sustain than the 712ce, which really surprised me. I also realized I really like the Martin tone more. That's not a knock on Taylors, just an observation based on my ears. My first really good guitar was a 414ce-R and was my introduction to what a really well made guitar can give you and had never played a Martin. But when I finally did I just realized that's the tone I prefer. I've since aquired a 000-28ec and a CEO-7 and I'm completely blown away. I'd like to try a 812 some time (in to smaller bodies these days) to see if that level of the Taylor line would tickle my ears. I'm glad you're loving your 814. It's always a thrill and a privilege to play instruments of this caliber.

I'm receiving a Yairi WY1TS hopefully tomorrow and am really looking forward to hear what it sounds like. I've been curious about Yairis for a long time and finally decided to give one a try.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion