The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40man View Post
Thankfully I still found a dealer with a reasonable discount off of MAP. I was able to support a dealer during the low supply but still feel comfortable with what I paid.
If they treated me good in the bad times, I would stick with them in the good times. That is how you gain long term customers.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
Short supply? Isn't Martin still cranking out tens of thousands of guitars a year? They aren't down to a trickle now - or are they?
I think there was a serious shortage coupled with a buying frenzy but now that things are edging back towards normal I'm sure many shops won't want to give up those margins they've been making. Thankfully all it takes is one shop to give a discount. Shop around. It's the shops no one ever mentions where I've been quoted the biggest discount these days.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I think there was a serious shortage coupled with a buying frenzy but now that things are edging back towards normal I'm sure many shops won't want to give up those margins they've been making. Thankfully all it takes is one shop to give a discount. Shop around. It's the shops no one ever mentions where I've been quoted the biggest discount these days.
On top of that I know the Martin and Taylor (and I am sure others) were shut down last year from Covid, and it took them a while to ramp back up after reopening. As such, they are still catching up and I am hearing they are down to two months to get orders from Martin, so I would think supply will normalize by the end of 21.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:10 PM

Default Question on how to negotiate the best discounts

As we say here in NYC, you gotta know "a guy"...

If you don't know "a guy," get to know "a guy": a store owner/manager, a local teacher, a knowledgeable friend who's also a good haggler, a good customer of the place where you want to shop, the dealer's landlord/insurance agent/mechanic (don't laugh), and don't hesitate to drop names - I had a bud who got a great deal on a Guild G-37 when he mentioned "Lenny," the dealer's landlord (seems his uncle was an electrician and "Lenny's" first call when the lights went out in one of his buildings). By the same token, educate yourself when it comes to the market, what a fair price should be, and what a good deal is (and isn't): IME there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get an additional 15% off "street"/MAP on a regular-production name-brand instrument - the assembly/supply lines are opening up again, the "wiggle room" is built into the tagged price, and nothing prevents you from taking your business to a more accommodating dealer if you can't get the deal you're after...
Old 03-04-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
On top of that I know the Martin and Taylor (and I am sure others) were shut down last year from Covid, and it took them a while to ramp back up after reopening. As such, they are still catching up and I am hearing they are down to two months to get orders from Martin, so I would think supply will normalize by the end of 21.
It will be interesting to see the production number for 2020. Wonder if it will be less than in '82 where it was lowest production in the history of Martin.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:40 PM

Get the Guild D-55.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:12 AM

When I recently looking for a HD28, Maury gave me the line about shortage of supplies, and quoted me MAP. However he was ready to earn my business by matching other offers. So matching pricing is how you earn business? There were no shortages of HD28 although dealers were using that as an excuse not to discount. Sweetwater discounted around 17% from MAP. Every dealer would match but not exceed Sweetwater, so I stuck with Sweetwater. As far as matching or slightly bettering Sweetwater's deal, I would had stayed with Sweetwater.

I think they are still using the shortage as an excuse even though as in my case, Sweetwater and others had multiples of the HD28 in stock.

BTW the guitar came from Sweetwater very nicely packed.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Should one expect much, if any, discount on the next “tier” of guitars (Froggy, Goodall, Santa Cruz, etc)?

Or is it basically asking price generally?
Old 03-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
When I recently looking for a HD28, Maury gave me the line about shortage of supplies, and quoted me MAP. However he was ready to earn my business by matching other offers. So matching pricing is how you earn business? There were no shortages of HD28 although dealers were using that as an excuse not to discount. Sweetwater discounted around 17% from MAP. Every dealer would match but not exceed Sweetwater, so I stuck with Sweetwater. As far as matching or slightly bettering Sweetwater's deal, I would had stayed with Sweetwater.

I think they are still using the shortage as an excuse even though as in my case, Sweetwater and others had multiples of the HD28 in stock.

BTW the guitar came from Sweetwater very nicely packed.
I agree with this. I wouldn't have been thrilled with a match offer either. If you can match you can outright discount. Your advantage with a big place like Sweetwater is the ease of returns if necessary. The advantage of a smaller dealer is the pricing. If the smaller dealer cannot offer the best pricing they've lost all advantage in my mind and I'd not select them even if they matched. They're not as likely to accept a return or replace an item with another if you don't like it.

But at least you got a decent discount off of MAP. Not quite what they were in 2019 but better than being a jobber who pays full MAP!

Last edited by UncleJesse; 03-05-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

When I last checked Gryphon's website, I was shocked at the lack of inventory. Back in September their newsletter called out for guitars they could buy. Their Fall Christmas season order had a due date of spring to summer. They needed used guitars to take up the slack. Sales at the same time were accelerated due to COVID. It takes a long time to catch up when demand has not slackened. Gibson electrics are in short supply. Everyone is scrambling. Plus shipping has gone through the roof, including cost for containers coming from the far east.

So a big discounter in normal times moved 10 D 18s as a great discount, and the replacements were coming in a week or two. Now they have two D 18s and there next two a three or four months out. Their rent remains the same.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I agree with this. I wouldn't have been thrilled with a match offer either. If you can match you can outright discount. Your advantage with a big place like Sweetwater is the ease of returns if necessary. The advantage of a smaller dealer is the pricing. If the smaller dealer cannot offer the best pricing they've lost all advantage in my mind and I'd not select them even if they matched. They're not as likely to accept a return or replace an item with another if you don't like it.

But at least you got a decent discount off of MAP. Not quite what they were in 2019 but better than being a jobber who pays full MAP!
X2. I don't even tell shops what other quotes I have. Just give me your best price and if it works for me I'll buy. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and let a dealer know what they have to do to undercut the competition.

Maury told me the same thing. Not a great tactic IMO. If he had started at a reasonable discount he'd have me as a customer.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:12 PM

In November i bought a new HD28. I ended up out the door for $2850 with a full setup. I didn’t mind paying a little bit more for being able to walk in check out multiple guitars and walk out with the one i liked the most.

2020 PRS Custom 24
2018 Fender American Professional Strat
1996 Fender SRV Strat
Fender 60’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Tele partscaster
Jackson Soloist
Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I've seen multiple posts on what "street value" is on certain guitars. I've whittled a selection down to either a Guild D55 or Martin D28 for my next guitar.

Many posts state to reach out to sponsors to get best pricing, but all the sponsors I have contacted are just giving me MAP pricing. Maybe it is pandemic related, or maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

Any one else still getting decent discounts?

TIA, I'm new to buying guitars in this price point, so this is a new jou
rney for me. Previously I've been under $1k for all of my guitars.
Contact Jason Koonz at Sweetwater. He will take care of you. I've purchased three Martin's in four months have received hundreds off every one. They have a few 000-28ECs in stock.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
X2. I don't even tell shops what other quotes I have. Just give me your best price and if it works for me I'll buy. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and let a dealer know what they have to do to undercut the competition.

Maury told me the same thing. Not a great tactic IMO. If he had started at a reasonable discount he'd have me as a customer.
I had two companies that gave me immediate discounts when I asked for their best prices. Musician Friend and Sweetwater. However MF was overbooked although their website said stock.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-05-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2 View Post
In November i bought a new HD28. I ended up out the door for $2850 with a full setup. I didn’t mind paying a little bit more for being able to walk in check out multiple guitars and walk out with the one i liked the most.
I agree, however with the corvid surge I was leery of spending time in a local shop. I would never spend time in a local shop and then buy online unless they weren't competitive. For a local shop I will always pay more for services.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion