The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Guest 928

Thank you AC., I check the FAQ . It seems strange to not have the details on the site. I am tempted to enquire. After reading the FAQs I thought about getting a Klos nylon, become a Klos representative, and getting a B stock--that way I could afford the guitar and still have enough money for the second payment on my in-process Emerald.

Klos should be giving a guitar to Kramster on the premise (or promise) that he would do a video demonstrating the guitar. Just to be perverse, they could send him a nylon model.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

Klos should be giving a guitar to Kramster on the premise (or promise) that he would do a video demonstrating the guitar. Just to be perverse, they could send him a nylon model.

I am liking this...get on it..I need to make a video
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Guest 928

I hope you KLOS folks are listening. Kramster is making you an offer you ought not refuse. Just saying.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-25-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:09 PM

That blackbird rider is a fun funky looking thing - never seen one of those!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTinRoof View Post
That blackbird rider is a fun funky looking thing - never seen one of those!
It is a wonderful guitar ! The body and neck are one continuous piece, and the neck is hollow, and there is an additional sound hole up at the end of the neck before the tuning pegs, so the guitar has a lot of resonance and volume. It sounds beautiful. Unfortunately Blackbird does not make them anymore. I feel very fortunate to have one.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
It is a wonderful guitar ! The body and neck are one continuous piece, and the neck is hollow, and there is an additional sound hole up at the end of the neck before the tuning pegs, so the guitar has a lot of resonance and volume. It sounds beautiful. Unfortunately Blackbird does not make them anymore. I feel very fortunate to have one.
They do sound pretty darn good
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Agreed, they sound good. The unconventional shape is off-putting to many, but if you listen with your ears instead of your eyes.... then Rider is a great little guitar. I sometimes wonder if they ever intend to make a Rider in ekoa, now that Blackbird has given up building with carbon fiber.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

I always liked the looks of the Rider nylon string--it reminds me of a Lute. It was also the closest in CF instruments to the tone and projection of a good classical guitar. Joe made the nylon Riders in two types, flamenco and classical, the reviews for both were always highly positive.

Earl poses an interesting question--an ekoa Rider could be a stunning instrument but I'm not sure what the market would be. And there's this--Blackbird has been and remains innovative, I don't think Joes spends a lot of time looking backwards.

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I always liked the looks of the Rider nylon string--it reminds me of a Lute. It was also the closest in CF instruments to the tone and projection of a good classical guitar. Joe made the nylon Riders in two types, flamenco and classical, the reviews for both were always highly positive.

Earl poses an interesting question--an ekoa Rider could be a stunning instrument but I'm not sure what the market would be. And there's this--Blackbird has been and remains innovative, I don't think Joes spends a lot of time looking backwards.
I have the steel string Rider, but would have loved to play the nylon string one too.

When I was consider buying the blackbird guitar, I had a few conversations with Joe and told him I was a dulcimer player, and he talked about how he was inspired by the dulcimer when designing the Rider. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Fully understand... just reminiscing ... my needs have changed as well after running through all the major CF over the years and chasing that sound in my head. I have settled down with the McPherson black binding touring. Love the sound and checks all the boxes for me. Emerald guitars continue to amaze me but kinda of like watching movie stars and the feeling passes after an hour or two. The scale even fits my small hands (but big heart ;-) ) so that I can stretch to all those crazy Sting chords. Fun watching you and the group's CF adventures and pushing the boundaries!!!!!
I like this guy! I don't understand the part about Emeralds, but being a Touring owner too (two? - since I own two), I have to agree with his taste regarding that guitar anyway.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I like this guy! I don't understand the part about Emeralds, but being a Touring owner too (two? - since I own two), I have to agree with his taste regarding that guitar anyway.

Tony
Hey Tony,

Glad you are enjoying your touring!! Emerald guitars are gorgeous and have owned a number of carbon and veneer ones but for some reason never kept them. The heart is a funny thing.. do not know why... fell in love with the looks ..just like movie stars but never met my long term expectations in my "real" world.

McPherson guitars are all business... when you buy the touring you get everything you need upfront.... sound hole plug, two cases... two bridges custom to your playing style and a pickup that is tuned to your guitar that is not obtrusive to the body of the guitar. ... very professionally done all in a minimalist way. ... checks my boxes... your mileage may vary :-)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hey Tony,

Glad you are enjoying your touring!! Emerald guitars are gorgeous and have owned a number of carbon and veneer ones but for some reason never kept them. The heart is a funny thing.. do not know why... fell in love with the looks ..just like movie stars but never met my long term expectations in my "real" world.

McPherson guitars are all business... when you buy the touring you get everything you need upfront.... sound hole plug, two cases... two bridges custom to your playing style and a pickup that is tuned to your guitar that is not obtrusive to the body of the guitar. ... very professionally done all in a minimalist way. ... checks my boxes... your mileage may vary :-)
I definitely agree about the Touring. The only Emeralds I have ever seen (and played) were an early X7 and an equally early X10. To me, both were underwhelming, but that was probably around 7 or 8 years ago, while the McNichol forum was in full swing and CA Guitars was still pumping out Cargos, OX'es, and their larger models. From what I have seen and read here in the forums, the Emerald product line has come a long way. Therefore, I don't have any opinion of them based on personal experience. With all the chatter about Emeralds here, it would be interesting to try an X20, since that is most likely what would interest me. However, since I already have two Touring guitars, I really don't feel the need to buy more instruments at this point.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber