The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Guest 928

Default Savoy ??s

I think it was Puerto who reported that nylon strings on his Savoy sounded very good. One of the holy grails is a guitar that can handle and work well with both steel and nylon strings. So, his assessment hit a respondent chord.

I'd like to know more. For example, I'd want to know about projection. Nylons on a steel guitar can have nice tonal qualities, but generally suffer when it comes to projection.

Has anyone else tried nylons on a Savoy?

Is Joe considering a dedicated nylon string guitar?

Any info is welcome.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:33 PM

I havent tried nylons or JP hybrids on my Savoy...but I've tried the latter on a Rainsong parlor. While it sounded sweet (other than the JP set's ringy G), IMO, there wasn't enough saddle spacing for the extra "travel" of such low tension strings. The Savoy is shorter scale, so less tension and more travel... Probably not ideal for most players.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Evan, it was me. And the original post is here...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=savoy

A while after that, there was a "strings on a Savoy" thread and there were suggestions on steel strings I hadn't tried...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=savo

So I tried them (Retros, Santa Cruz). They were OK, but the Savoy was still no match for my GX as a steel string guitar.

So it was back to the nylons (D'Addarios Folk EJ34) and I was once again a happy Savoy owner.

Evan, to answer your questions, let me give you a comparison...

I also have an Emerald X10N. It's the "old style" X10 that was built simultaneously with your new experimental one a few years ago.

As Alistair noted, "The Top I had planned for your guitar was using the original X10 top design but in a much lighter modified form to respond well to Nylon strings. For Evans guitar we are cutting off the standard top and building a completely different top which will have less radius and most likely an offset soundhole."

When we did an A/B test between the Nylon Savoy and X10N, I thought the X10N was slightly louder, but not by much. The listeners couldn't tell the difference. Neither of those guitars are loud ~ like Rainsong Jumbo loud ~ unless you plug them in (both have K&Ks), but loud enough for what they are.

In the sound department, the X10N sounds more precise; the Savoy is warmer and more rounded. It's a sort of like the perceived difference between digital CDs and analog Vinyl and why the Savoy is said to sound more "woody."

Both sound great and which one is "better" would depend on the application.

TommyId, I don't find "string slop" to be problem on the Savoy, but I don't beat on it like I do with the GX!

Because I prefer the Savoy Nylon over the X10N, I asked Alistair if I could put steel strings on the X10N. The answer was, "It should be ok but I would definitely use lighter strings and keep an eye for excessive deflection in the top."

That scared me off.

So, is the Savoy the Holy Grail Guitar that can handle both steel and nylons?

Basically, yes. It does a credible job with both and won't break with either.

Beyond that, personal preference would dictate what's best for the player.

And Joe is aware the Savoy works with nylons.

I told him about my nylon experiment and he replied, "I am not super surprised that Savoy can take nylons (well because we tried it because the top is so thin and light."

The Nylon Savoy fits well ~ neck profile, neck join, tuners, body size and style, etc. ~ into my collection of actively-played guitars which includes a Strat, a narrow neck GX ~ and if it ever shows up (being built in Ireland, but not by Emerald) ~ a midi electric. That should cover everything from acoustic nylon to playing tuba.

For a nylon-only player, an eKoa model based on the GX or X10 body (the new one with the borrowed-from-Savoy neck join) would be interesting.

I will leave it to Evan to bug Blackbird about getting that done!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

Sorry about the wrong name, but glad you responded.

I like the looks of the Savoy and appreciate the venture into a new medium--Joe is an explorer and I've trailed along with the Super OM, a Rider, and a Uke.

I've tried nylon strings on the Cargo and the Ox. They sounded OK from a tonal point of view, but the projection was disappointing. Indeed, my disappointment with all the CF nylon string guitars has been the lack projection (with the exception of Rider which comes very close to a good classical wooden guitar).

Your response suggests that I would not find the Savoy with nylon strings to be satisfactory (compared to a wooden classical). I suspect that Joe will eventually produce an acoustic ekoa nylon strung instrument because he likes a challenge.

Until then, I'm bugging Alistair to produce an electric/acoustic nylon string guitar that gives me the tone and volume I want. Oddly enough, the X7 thin-bodied electric/acoustic almost competes with the acoustic/electric 10 without being plugged in. I'm really looking forward to comparing a thin-bodied electric 10 with the full bodied acoustic 10. Fun stuff.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM

You didn't think the Super OM had projection?

I used that guitar daily for about 5 years for camp-style sing alongs with 100+ kids at a time with no problems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Strumalot;

Sorry about the wrong name, but glad you responded.

I like the looks of the Savoy and appreciate the venture into a new medium--Joe is an explorer and I've trailed along with the Super OM, a Rider, and a Uke.

I've tried nylon strings on the Cargo and the Ox. They sounded OK from a tonal point of view, but the projection was disappointing. Indeed, my disappointment with all the CF nylon string guitars has been the lack projection (with the exception of Rider which comes very close to a good classical wooden guitar).

Your response suggests that I would not find the Savoy with nylon strings to be satisfactory (compared to a wooden classical). I suspect that Joe will eventually produce an acoustic ekoa nylon strung instrument because he likes a challenge.

Until then, I'm bugging Alistair to produce an electric/acoustic nylon string guitar that gives me the tone and volume I want. Oddly enough, the X7 thin-bodied electric/acoustic almost competes with the acoustic/electric 10 without being plugged in. I'm really looking forward to comparing a thin-bodied electric 10 with the full bodied acoustic 10. Fun stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber