The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
LOL. Perhaps that also explains why he was a two-hit wonder? "American Pie" and "Vincent" is pretty much all he did, no?
In fact, every tune on the American Pie album is very good to excellent. That is an all time classic album.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
Chris, was his Albert Hall concert recorded for TV broadcast? I was 11 years old and remember seeing Don McLean in concert on the small black and white TV at my Grandma's house. I had a major impact on me. I knew and loved 'American Pie' and 'Vincent' but I was greatly impacted by him playing banjo and singing 'Babylon'. I've never seen anyone else hold an audience like that. This was on a small black and white TV.
Yes it was!! I was disappointed because it didn’t convey the magic of that evening.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Someone may have already mentioned this, but are folks aware that the song "Killing Me Softly" was written by Lori Lieberman after seeing Don in concert?

Pretty cool story.

scott memmer
Old 04-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
He was once asked in an interview “what does American Pie mean?” His reply? “It means I’ll never have to work again.”
He wasn't kidding either! I read the other day that American Pie still generates about $300,000 a year in royalties for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN