The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 AM

Default marshall as100d vs genz benz amp??

hello all i am really having a tough time choosing between a marshall as100d or a genz benz amp. I have demoed a marshall and loved it but a few people on here have suggested a genz benz because they have a bigger speaker and AGF said my taylor baritone would be a great fit for that. I can get one at my local shop (marshall) for 350 used. I have never tried a genz benz. Should i buy the marshall? I could try a genz benz but it is located 2 hours one way awway from me and best case it will cost 750(its new). What do you all think?? Thanks for your time.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Only your ears can tell you. The Marshall is a good amp--especially at that price. I'm a big Genz Benz fan myself and use a Pro LT, but my choice was a matter of the tone I was looking for at the time I bought the amp and the application I had in mind for it.

One thing to consider, however: at that price, you are likely to be able to recoup most if not all of your money if you decide to sell the Marshall at some point (say after you get a chance to try that GB)!

Louis
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM

My partner and I use a Marshall AS50R and AS100D as stage monitors/ mixers and love them. They are also very reasonable to get parts and repairs for.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM

thanks both great points!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM

as one of the proponents of the genz benz i can only share my experience.
i had the AER acouticube IIA which is a great amp with an 8 inch woofer.
when i started to play 7 string i found that the AER just couldn't reproduce the low notes with any authority. i sold it and bought a genz 150 with the 12" speaker and it did a great job. i eventually sold that and got an acoustic image with the 10 inch downfiring woofer because i wanted something even more compact than the genz. i now use that to also power a markbass two 10" cabinet but that is another story.
i have never played the Marshall but would strongly advocate the larger speaker for the baritone
robert
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1 (where the 7 string can be heard)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

2 great amps but in my opinion the Genz Benz line all the way. Guitar center online (various stores nationwide) has a few of them used right now in the different power configs / speaker sizes. There's 2-3 that look almost exactly alike but are fairly different. Bought the big dual 10" 300LT version myself only because of a dealer cost thing, it has the sweetest tone, features, DI out etc. AWESOME amps in my opinion. Marshall good amp? Yes it is..very good. But you're talking two different animals altogether in the Shenandoah series by GB.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM

very good point lscharwtz! i tried to buy it but someone beat me to it! Fuzzpickle, I have tried a fishman mini (6 inch speaker) and marshall 50 ( one 8 inch spearker) back and forth and would say the marshall worked better for my baritone, had more bass and was a little "warmer" had a little more going on. The fishman was great more natural sounding but not as much bass. Do you have experience with these two amps? If so how do they compare tone wise with the genz benz you have? And what model do you have? thanks fuzzpickle!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

10304cpg: Agree on all sizes and equal price points on marshall over the fishman line. To me the fishman line is about on par with today's Acoustasonic line (Fender). I too think the Marshall's are a bit 'warmer'. The GB? Well have to say that again at all sizes and price points / variations, I like them even more over the marshall's (which I like A LOT!!)...quite a bit actually. Hard to describe...just a bit nicer / warmer sound all around, features, electronics; just everything about this amp rocks. And again the only reason I bought the big dog (the 300LT) was because of a rare deal I got. Had I only had the same amount to spend retail (800-1000), I still would have bought the GB version over the Marshall's or the Fishman. Tried all 3 lines with about a good hour + on each. Another one to look into (again as we all agree...your ear should be the most subjective reason) but the Actually the Ultrasound 250 was another one I really liked although the GB only took about 20 minutes of playing to decide hands down.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 04-23-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM

For the price I would go for the used marshall especially since it is half retail http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FaNhMgodqzAAAg

and can possibly yield a profit later if you decide on the genz benz

Edit:

My bad it was sold already sorry man

I have the fishman Solo Amp and it has TINY speakers, 220 watts, but spread across 6 4" speakers and 1 1" tweeter

https://www.hellomusic.com/items/sa2...ormance-system

Have not played a baritone through it as unfortunately I do not have one. But I have played an electric bass through it and it worked. no distortion at the volume I had it at in my quiet house. ha ha

Sounds like the genz benz might be the way to go if you are soloing a baritone with no vocals.

Last edited by Redking; 04-23-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10304cpg View Post
hello all i am really having a tough time choosing between a marshall as100d or a genz benz amp. I have demoed a marshall and loved it but a few people on here have suggested a genz benz because they have a bigger speaker and AGF said my taylor baritone would be a great fit for that. I can get one at my local shop (marshall) for 350 used. I have never tried a genz benz. Should i buy the marshall? I could try a genz benz but it is located 2 hours one way awway from me and best case it will cost 750(its new). What do you all think?? Thanks for your time.
Hi 10304...

The GenzBenz will weigh 30 pounds less than the Marshall. The Marshall will sound warmer (and weigh 46 pounds)

The Marshall will have a longer throw without pushing it that hard.

I wouldn't buy one without comparing them yourself, with your guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

On a completely unrelated note...larry...that's a nice Olson you got there. He lives only about 20 minutes away from me. I'm mighty happy with my two Taylors, don't get me wrong, but oh man to own one of those someday.

And on the fishman 220 above...dig those!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
On a completely unrelated note...larry...that's a nice Olson you got there. He lives only about 20 minutes away from me. I'm mighty happy with my two Taylors, don't get me wrong, but oh man to own one of those someday.

And on the fishman 220 above...dig those!
[size=2]Hi DjFMCP...

I know...it's 20 years old…it's amazing sounding, and plays like butter.

[size=2]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM

well i finally made the trip and gave a genz benz 150lt and 60 lt a workout with my baritone. They were both great amps but i could not get the bass to a place i was comfortable with. I kept getting a really bad hum and tried the eq knobs and did get it better, tried moving the amp away sideways and tried turning my bass down on the guitar. So i did not get the amp and will narrow it down to a marshall or a fishman loudbox artist. We will see. thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10304cpg View Post
well i finally made the trip and gave a genz benz 150lt and 60 lt a workout with my baritone. They were both great amps but i could not get the bass to a place i was comfortable with. I kept getting a really bad hum and tried the eq knobs and did get it better, tried moving the amp away sideways and tried turning my bass down on the guitar. So i did not get the amp and will narrow it down to a marshall or a fishman loudbox artist. We will see. thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!
I get a bit of a hum/buzz/hiss sound with my fishman Solo Amp but only when my guitar is plugged in. I blame the piezo.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM

my 7 string goes as low as F# below guitar E and i never got a hint of hum or buzz from the amp when i had the genz 150 lt.
not sure what happened there with the one you tried out]
robert
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification