The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Its interesting how many modelers all the way back to the Line6 Pods and earlier all advertise "sounds like a tube amp". Why spend hundreds, if not thousands, on an imitation when a well maintained tube amp gets you the real thing and is quite reliable to boot?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

This is interesting also .....Here is one perspective (as far as big live performances and modeling amps vs tube ) from a renowned FOH for big name Rock shows .

Spoiler: while stating he prefers tube especially In the mix , he does mention that in isolation the modeled sounded amazingly good ( and he is talking high end modeling amps)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
It's interesting how many modelers all the way back to the Line 6 Pods and earlier all advertise "sounds like a tube amp." Why spend hundreds, if not thousands, on an imitation when a well maintained tube amp gets you the real thing and is quite reliable to boot?
What he said...
Old 04-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Its interesting how many modelers all the way back to the Line6 Pods and earlier all advertise "sounds like a tube amp". Why spend hundreds, if not thousands, on an imitation when a well maintained tube amp gets you the real thing and is quite reliable to boot?
When your modeling amp breaks, let me know where you can get a reliable, reasonable repair. I'm usually told to discard the amp.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
1. Weight.
2. Many tube and solid state models in one amp.
3. The ability to get a saturated tube sound at low volume.
4. DSPs and some amps offer the ability to go directly into a computer's sound card and the ability to change and edit the amp after the recording.

But I understand where you purists are coming from. Tubes are beautiful, and there's something satisfying about hearing the real thing, like playing a real Fender Rhodes with real tines and pickups as opposed to a keyboard patch.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 PM

The light weight and low volume are the main reasons I can see. Also say if you want a Marshall sound or a Fender in the same box. As far as light weight goes up to 30W there is not much penalty for a tube amp if a switching power supply is used. Somebody should come out with one.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Because it is a pain to replace tubes on the reliable tube amp in the middle of a gig? Tubes are also another fragile item to transport. The ones on the amp and the ones you are carrying just in case.

Besides, you don't have to buy a modeler. There's some great analog solid state amps out there.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
1. Weight.
2. Many tube and solid state models in one amp.
3. The ability to get a saturated tube sound at low volume.
4. DSPs and some amps offer the ability to go directly into a computer's sound card and the ability to change and edit the amp after the recording.

But I understand where you purists are coming from. Tubes are beautiful, and there's something satisfying about hearing the real thing, like playing a real Fender Rhodes with real tines and pickups as opposed to a keyboard patch.
This for me also more or less. (You could also add cost because solid state amps are substantially cheaper than their tube equivalents … and then there's the cost of pedals).

Again, I love the idea of owning both. (But if I had to own just one amp for home playing purposes, it would most likely be a solid state amp, as much as I like tube amps).
Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
From reading on here, I got the impression that tube amps are better or there is a preference for tube amps. Am I mistaken? What makes them better? How about a low watt tube amp for home?
At this time I have three small Fender amplifiers, all have EL84 power tubes, and all for home use around 9 o’clock on the volume dial at maximum so I’m never getting creamy true output overdrive.

All are extremely picky with regard to amplifying my mistakes so they reward perfect touch and control. A Yamaha mini amp like the THR10 (may have the name incorrect) or a modeling amp like the Fender Mustang may make me sound like a better player but it may be artificial.

I’m all for turning back the clock and living a simpler life too.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:39 AM

I'm old school and love the sound of valve amps and I like the setup of a cleanish valve amp fed by pedals to get your tone palette.

I used to have a Marshal lead and bass 20 head (2061x model) in the early 80s and never realised at the time what a gem of an amp that was.

I've tried a Fender Mustang 1 and quite liked it for practicing. I borrowed a Yamaha THR10 for a week and thought it was a joke. It had very little clean headroom and volume but what can you expect with those diddy speakers?
The THR100 though is quite a beast.

I'm not convinced at all by the tone from the Boss Katana series and good luck using those built-in FX during a gig when you need to quickly change an FX setting.

I do presently own a Marshall Code 25 modelling amp which is ok for practicing but it has many shortcomings as well.

I do really like my Scuffham Amps S-Gear plugin though and use that for headphone playing. I wish I could have that sound in a real SS amp.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
From reading on here, I got the impression that tube amps are better or there is a preference for tube amps. Am I mistaken? What makes them better? How about a low watt tube amp for home?
My understanding is this:
Overdriven tube = even harmonics
Overdriven transistor = odd harmonics
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
And then you hear people using solid state pedals for overdrive.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
And then you hear people using solid state pedals for overdrive.
Not the same thing. Using an SS pedal is not the same as overdriving an SS amp.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Not the same thing. Using an SS pedal is not the same as overdriving an SS amp.
An SS cirquit in a large box is inferior to an SS cirquit in a small box?

Or are you thinking distortion in the power amp? That should not be happening with a SS amp. If it is, you need a bigger one.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
When you clip one side more than the other you get more odd harmonics. When you clip them evenly you get more even. You can do the same with SS circuits where you have a diode clipper on one side and not clip the other side of the waveform.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars