The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM

I have more amps and guitars, but these are all Fender.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I say leave the tolex on and show the battle scars. That's assuming it can still protect the speaker and doesn't muffle the sound.
+1. If something unforeseen comes up some day and you're forced to sell, the amp should keep more value with the original tolex. I like the road worn look, personally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM

The tolex stays, consider it done

Great amps in this tread!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:31 PM

My British style amp. It's an Avatar 18W, despite the badging the previous owner installed. Right channel is the stock Marshall 1974x channel, just volume and gain. Left is a modern channel with gain, master, treble/mid/bass controls. Very flexible amp, though I prefer to use the simple channel turned way up.

My Mojotone Blackface Super Reverb I built a couple of years ago. I've installed all NOS preamp tubes, GE and Philips. Big, round, loud cleans for days and lush reverb when wanted. She's plenty loud, too.

My first kit build, a Mojotone Tweed Deluxe. I was just about to replace the power tubes in this pic. This one gets the majority of play time, and sounds amazing with Teles, Firebirds, and about any other guitar I've plugged into it. This amp taught me to finally break out of running the guitar controls on 10 all the time, and made me a better player for it.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's your go-to amp(s)? Do you prefer tube, solid state, or modeling?
Been a guitar-cable-amp guy and a fan of "big-clean" tone since day one, so although tubes are still #1 in my book I'll take a good analog solid-state amp if it delivers the goods; got a few go-to's depending on the mood/needs of the day:
  • Bugera V22 (my "Swiss Army" amp - portability, tone, and power)
  • Fender '65 Super Reverb RI (the "Big Gun" - all 65 pounds worth)
  • Fender Frontman 212R (son of "Big Gun" - 15 pounds lighter than the Super, 100W of Fender blackface clean, and the older I get the more I'm using it)
  • Randall RB-120 (120W 1x15" two-channel combo that doubles as my no-frills archtop guitar and old-school bass amp)
  • Ampeg Portabass 250 (1x12" bass combo with loads of power and more low end than a Kardashian family reunion)
  • Carvin MB12 (30-pound 3-way 200W bass combo for when I need minimum weight/footprint, and/or more "modern" bass tone)
  • Peavey Studio Pro 50 (my former grab-&-go, this is the rare 1x12" with the XLR out - strictly for banjo these days)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM

My first kit build, a Mojotone Tweed Deluxe. I was just about to replace the power tubes in this pic. This one gets the majority of play time, and sounds amazing with Teles, Firebirds, and about any other guitar I've plugged into it. This amp taught me to finally break out of running the guitar controls on 10 all the time, and made me a better player for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

clint: you always give great responses and this is one of the wisest!
thanks,
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-09-2016, 10:25 PM

Clint that tweed amp is a beauty...

Did you wrap it up in that tweed too as part of the amp build? It looks perfect. Looks being one thing, I'm sure it sounds great.

You know it's such a great topic... I have always been a volume on ten kind of guy till I stopped playing with my band for about two years and went into hiding and learned that there is a whole other world of control when you actually use the volume knob on the guitar. In fact I almost never even play on ten anymore and leave that extra room when I sense I am not cutting through the mix in a live setting.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Here are my two...

On top is my '72 Deluxe Reverb (still has the 70's tubes in it!)... such a great sounding amp and good for pretty much everything, although I'd use the lower one for most jazz stuff; a 1980 Yamaha GL100-112 that I bought new. The thing is a workhorse, never had an issue with it, wonderful clean sounds and a decent reverb (although nothing like the Deluxe Reverb).

They are both too heavy for me to schlep around anymore, but I haven't worked in band in a long while, so they just stay home...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Clint that tweed amp is a beauty...

Did you wrap it up in that tweed too as part of the amp build? It looks perfect. Looks being one thing, I'm sure it sounds great.

You know it's such a great topic... I have always been a volume on ten kind of guy till I stopped playing with my band for about two years and went into hiding and learned that there is a whole other world of control when you actually use the volume knob on the guitar. In fact I almost never even play on ten anymore and leave that extra room when I sense I am not cutting through the mix in a live setting.
Thanks. That's one of Mojotone's cabs. They do great work in their covering shop, both with fabric and tolex. I did apply a few coats of finish to protect the tweed and give it an aged look, though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 AM

Here are my amps:

Tube Amps:

'65 Fender Blonde Twin Reverb (Conversion)
'66 Fender Pro Reverb
'66 Fender Princeton Reverb
'73 Fender SF Deluxe Reverb
'73 Fender Vibro Champ
'75 Fender Champ
'76 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
'83 Boogie MKIIC 60/100,EQ,Reverb Head
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ 60 watt combo
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ Simul-Class loaded
Bubinga/Wicker combo
'07 Sewell Texaverb 25 load w/ G12H30
'08 Brown Note D'Lite 44 "ODE" Head
'10 Hermida 1x12 openback G12H-30 loaded
'11 Egnater Tweaker 15 Head

Solid State Amps:
'85 Gallien - Krueger ML 250
'86 Gallien - Krueger Ml 250
'88 Gallien - Krueger Backline 100
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 12-10-2016, 06:35 AM

Hi Jeff, I've got the head version of that, the 210H. I find it almost does too much and I'm more of a set it and forget it guy now. But you're right, so many options. The foot pedal is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
This, Marshall JVM210c. 6 voices and a bunch of knobs for an infinitude of sound options.

For years before I got the Marshall, I used one of these, a solid-state Gibson G-115 plus an array of pedals. For a solid-state amp it sounds great, but I don't think there's anything that will quite touch a good tube amp.
<<snippet pic>>

What Marshall is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
(there are others I use / own but) this is #1

Old 12-10-2016, 07:22 AM

I "just" have a Carr Rambler (can't find a photo at the moment). Killer amp and lighter than most equivalent Fenders. Does great with dang near anything. I've thought about getting a Soldano a few times for "classic" metal, but the Carr does well when I crank the distortion.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Cornford Harlequin

Cornford
by sage972003, on Flickr

More info here http://www.cornfordamps.com/harlequin.htm

I also have a Zinky Blue Velvet but don't have pics.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Here are my two...

On top is my '72 Deluxe Reverb (still has the 70's tubes in it!)... such a great sounding amp and good for pretty much everything, although I'd use the lower one for most jazz stuff; a 1980 Yamaha GL100-112 that I bought new. The thing is a workhorse, never had an issue with it, wonderful clean sounds and a decent reverb (although nothing like the Deluxe Reverb).

They are both too heavy for me to schlep around anymore, but I haven't worked in band in a long while, so they just stay home...
I know this thread is about amps but...

What's the guitar? It looks like a 335 with 345 inlays. And typically, a 345 has a varitone dial. I do see extra switches and the non-Gibson Vibrato/bridge but I'm just curious as to what the actual model is.

I have a '67 ES335 stoptail conversion with Grovers and it has the same knobs as your...

'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM

I must still have a bit of an amp fetish as I am loving this thread. I used to have a bit of a jones for booteek and Fender BF amps as depicted below.

I am now divested of most and the keeper was:

Which is still overkill wattage but it has a great attenuator and covers all the tonal palettes I want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars