The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-26-2019, 09:05 AM

I just lost a lengthy and careful response due to some wacky certificate error here. So what I'll write now is short and will eliminate a lot of detail.

As you've said looper pedals, which have a number of uses, are really not designed for what you want to do. They can do it, just not what they are aimed at.

Some standalone digital recorders can do this, and this is more at what they are designed to do. Most have little or no setup or configuration steps which is attractive to some.

I have a vague memory that you are not at all interested in using an interface and DAW software. In my mind and experience that solution is better (I'll leave out the detail I written on that...) and once setup and configured and one understands a small portion of the software is necessary to achieve important goals, as easy or easier to use.

Yes, headphones to monitor for any of the above solutions.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 10-27-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi Frank, thank you for trying to assist me - and I suffered that certificate error and also lost a long answer here to try to help someone else.

If you, or anyone else has the patience to persist wih this, i'll explain what I'd like to do.

This is primarily for making my amateurish videos on YouTube.

I sing, and play acoustic guitar, but I also play mandolin , dobro and bass guitar.

Simplistically, I would like to lay down a guitar backing track - in order to play it back and video myself playing dobro/mando over it.

Foolishly I though that the guy in the video that I showed was getting the sound out of his looper and now realise that he is playing the backing tracks through an amp/p.a.

All this would need to be done in my small conservatory (about 12 x 8). I do have a bose l-1 but even that would use up a ot of room.

apart from the bass (optional) I would want to use my condenser mic(s) so I would need a phantom power source (my mixer) as well as a recording system. Already this is starting to get very crowded.

I used to have a Yamaha AW1600 on which I recorded one album doing exactly what I'm planning now, but it was very labour intensive and the album only happened as I was housebound for three weeks recovering from a foot operation.
I have just realised that I still have my Alesis monitor speakers.

I only have my desktop in my office upstairs or an old Mac that for various reasons I cannot get to upload any apps - so software DAW is not possible.

The idea is to play pre-recorded backing tracks whilst playing mando/dobro on video. Again, I have no skills to edit videos so it's a matter of switching on the video, taking my seat, switching on whatever tech, then paying. etc.

Pretty primitive I guess.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Silly, Are your Alesis monitors powered or passive? My suggestion in your case would depend on knowing that.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I only have my desktop in my office upstairs or an old Mac that for various reasons I cannot get to upload any apps - so software DAW is not possible.

How old is that Mac? If you do "About this Mac" from the Apple menu what does it say for version of MacOS/OSX and so forth.

Remote tech support is tough and consumes considerable time for the helper, but it sounds like that Macintosh computer may be otherwise useless to you, so it may well be the best thing to do would be to reinstall a version of MacOS on it.

A fresh install of the operating system is often a tonic for old hardware that has been though a lot of software installs and updates. I just got done redoing an 8 year old Mac for my main live recording space. I'd say the way Apple asks you do this is not as easy as it should be, but it's mostly a matter of selecting the right choices and waiting for the process to work over whatever speed Internet connection you have.

Recording qua recording and over-dubing is not very demanding of a computer either in CPU power or memory and as long as the hard disk is fast enough to not error on the number of tracks being recorded one can work with quite old and modest computer hardware. Three or four tracks is not demanding.

Stuff where one wants/needs to use computer power to act as what would have been outboard hardware (amps, compressors, reverb units, "virtual instruments," etc) is why folks get more up to date computers for DAWs.

"Latency" is also more an issue with non-acoustic instrument recording where you need to hear the effected signal or software approximation of an amp or instrument not just the straight sound that your mic is capturing.

Alas I'm probably even less video recording knowledgeable than you are. I've only done exactly what you're asking to do with video twice. Once I "mimed" to the fully mixed track which was just added in the video editing software in place of live sound, which is "authentic" is a cheesy Sixties TV way. The other time I played the backing instruments over my PA and played and sang "live" with a stereo mic on the recorder picking up the live in the room sound of that. That didn't/doesn't sound ideal to me, but it should be no worse than many live gig videos you see on YouTube.

Someone here should know more about how to do this better. I would assume mixing the prerecorded tracks jacked in with the live singing/playing using an external mixer into the video recorder would be better.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-01-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2019, 10:56 AM

I think your life would be a lot easier trying this kind of thing if you broke down and put K&K's in your guitar and got a Tonedexter. That would give you an electronic signal which sounds exactly like an acoustic guitar through a mike. Check out Doug Young's demo on Youtube if you are not familiar with this device.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Silly, Are your Alesis monitors powered or passive? My suggestion in your case would depend on knowing that.
Hi Rudy, thanks for your interest in helping this old fool- they are powered/ active : Alesis M1 Active 520s

Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD