The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Saddle Questions for Fishman Matrix Install

I have installed a few of these pickups in the past with luck. Most recently, I bought a Martin 000-15m and installed the Fishman Matrix Infinity. I am having a hard time getting an even string balance. Here are my questions.

1) Should the saddle be a snug fit that would snap in place or should it be very easy to get in and out? Fishman says it shouldn't fall out when you turn the guitar over, but I looked a few other undersaddle pickup installation guides and no one else mentions this.

2) Is there a trick to getting the bottom square and flat? I am using 220 & 320 grit sandpaper and using a piece of marble as a base. I have tried going back in forth in slow motions, I have tried single strokes away from me, and I have tried filing against a plastic and wood straightedge. I am finding with the Martin saddle, because it is so thin, it is hard to grip and keep upright perfectly straight.

3) How do I check that the bottom is square and flat before installing it in the guitar and hearing unbalanced strings?

Also, I have used a sharp chisel to lightly scrape the bottom and the walls of the saddle slot to make sure there were no burrs or debris. I also sprayed the slot with blow off to make sure nothing was in there. The pickup is perfectly straight and flat before putting it in the slot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Use a straight edge on the bottom of the saddle and hold it up to a light source to look for gaps. The saddle can flex when you sand so be careful. I use a file that i have checked for flat with a straight edge. take your time and don't push when you sand and try not to rock the saddle. It should be lightly snug, but needs to be able to move with vibrations, so not real tight in the slot, and i would rather have it slightly loose rather than over tight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification