The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM

Default Seagull Quantum I into M-Audio Fast track

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here.

Need some help with my set-up for home recording. I tried plugging in my Seagull Maritime Folk QI directly to the instrument jack of my M-Audio Fast Track. This goes into a Macbook running Audacity. The latency is one issue but what I really do not like is the boomy/muddy bass I am getting even with the bass EQ on the Seagull turned down. Do I need a preamp or DI between the Seagull and the Fast Track? As much as I want to try using a mic to capture the true sound of the Seagull, my home is just too noisy and the acoustics are bad.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 AM

IMO you'll never get a recording with that UST that sounds like an acoustic guitar. Better to make yourself a "booth" with a thick blanket or get one of those filters that go behind the mic, get a decent mic, a good dynamic will make it easier to reject noise, and close-mic so you can keep the gain as low as possible. Much better option in my (somewhat limited) experience. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Read all 20 pages of this thread at homerecording.com - plenty of other good information about recording on those forums, as well.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. The info on the thread really helps but I could not access the pics as my ISP's IP seems to be blocked. Seriously?

Anyway, I just wanted to record some backing tracks for my kids who like to sing. I'm not after professional grade recordings and I figured plugging in the guitar would solve the problem of a noisy home (furnace, footsteps, etc). Unfortunately, the recordings as I said are boomy/muddy especially with fingerstyle.

I will try using a mic instead with a makeshift recording booth. I do not have a dynamic mic but will try in on an AT 2035.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM

You should be able to get some very nice acoustic recordings with the 2035. Turn off the furnace while recording or get away from it (record in a closet full of clothes?), command utter stillness in the house, get as close as possible to the mic, record in 24 bit (if you have it available) and get your recording level nice and hot (but under the noise floor). Record two takes, played as closely as you can to the same, changing the mic position on one of the takes (one at the 14th fret, one below the sound hole? experiment.) Pan the two tracks to either side on playback. Maybe add a tiny delay to one of the tracks, just a hint of reverb. Should have a nice big, fat acoustic sound. And a lot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification