The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D28 Modern Deluxe Demo

Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Very Nice!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 02-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Very jealous! :-)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great...thanks for sharing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely lovely sounding guitar! Martin nailed it with this new model in many ways. It offers a feature set that include a ton of 'custom' appointments at a standard price. These features on a boutique / smaller builder guitar would cost thousands more. But Martin includes that at a Great price!

If they made this guitar with a cutaway and Anthem PU or some sort of new pickup that left the acoustic tone intact, I would be ALL over it! Still, it sounds wonderful Aaron.

Thanks for posting the great demo! I love the video reviews you make and your mic really captures the tonal essence of this new and exciting model from Martin. Bravo!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:06 AM

Apparently, my local dealer, Reno’s Music, is one of the first to get MDs in stock. He currently has the D-28 and OM in stock. I’ve played the D and will be demoing the OM later today. I can assure you, the sound is wonderful with all the classic Martin Tone you could ever want. It all comes down to the neck carve. Do you like it or not? For me, the jury is out. It was not love at first strum. My other Martins have the MLO/PA and I found the Vintage Deluxe neck on the D to quickly tire my fret hand. I’ve been ramping up my playing time recently so I’m holding out hope that it was just tired at the time. We will find out this morning. Even if I love the OM, I’m waiting for the 000 because I think I want the short scale. We shall see.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Apparently, my local dealer, Reno’s Music, is one of the first to get MDs in stock. He currently has the D-28 and OM in stock. I’ve played the D and will be demoing the OM later today. I can assure you, the sound is wonderful with all the classic Martin Tone you could ever want. It all comes down to the neck carve. Do you like it or not? For me, the jury is out. It was not love at first strum. My other Martins have the MLO/PA and I found the Vintage Deluxe neck on the D to quickly tire my fret hand. I’ve been ramping up my playing time recently so I’m holding out hope that it was just tired at the time. We will find out this morning. Even if I love the OM, I’m waiting for the 000 because I think I want the short scale. We shall see.
I’m indifferent. I think I’d prefer the same neck as my HDC28 has for consistency but its close enough to not bother me.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, it’s a skinny new age neck carve on these MDs, for sure.

Last edited by zoopeda; 02-14-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
It all comes down to the neck carve. Do you like it or not? For me, the jury is out. It was not love at first strum. My other Martins have the MLO/PA and I found the Vintage Deluxe neck on the D to quickly tire my fret hand. I’ve been ramping up my playing time recently so I’m holding out hope that it was just tired at the time. We will find out this morning.
Everything I’ve heard so far suggests this neck is going to be shallower, depth wise, than Martin’s Performing Artist series neck (which is shallower than the MLO/PA, I know having owned both). If so, that would be extremely disappointing. Please keep us up on what you find.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Everything I’ve heard so far suggests this neck is going to be shallower, depth wise, than Martin’s Performing Artist series neck (which is shallower than the MLO/PA, I know having owned both). If so, that would be extremely disappointing. Please keep us up on what you find.
AeroUSA can probably shed some light on comparisons to the Martin MLO/PA neck
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
AeroUSA can probably shed some light on comparisons to the Martin MLO/PA neck
It feels thinner but with a V in the center. It was weird for the first day and now I don’t even notice it. Just feels like the old PA neck to me now...
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
You may be right. I remember thinking does this thing have a 2” nut? It seemed like a reach to get around the sides of the fretboard and I have fairly large hands (XL golf glove). I had to cancel my demo for today. Will try again next week—hoping a 000 comes in by then. My guy sold his first D-28MD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
modern deluxe