The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Default It's tough to buy your first guitar online

I want to pick up acoustic guitar and there's only one music store where I live. They have Fenders and Martins and Bluridges and Ovations and Cordobas but no Seagulls. I've heard a lot of good things about S6 (e.g. its nut is wider and so good for "finger style"). But am afraid if I buy it online and don't like it, I'll have to pay some $100 to send it back. I feel a need to (man-)handle my guitar before buying it!

I like a bright resonant sound and a guitar that renders the highs well too. That's why I prefer steel string. (The store owner was a fan of nylon. I have to say classical guitars have a charm to them with their small bodies). Although this is my emotional opinion and may not turn out very suitable when I get to playing songs.

A used Martin DX1EA costs the same as an S6 (on Guitar Center). So that's another option too. The store has them (new).
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM

If I were recommending a guitar to a friend who was just getting started, I would suggest the Yamaha FG800. I’ve played a handful and despite the small sample size, find them to be consistently wonderful guitars and a fantastic deal at their price point.

Guitar Center has a nice return policy so that would seem to be a safe bet. Plus, you can often call to get their sales applied to most items, even if it doesn’t work on the website. The FG800 is already a steal at $200, and if you time your purchase right you may be able to swing another $20-30 off that.

Lots of other good options too — this is just one. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I feel a need to (man-)handle my guitar before buying it!
Go with that! Your instincts are right on the money, especially for your first (and even fifth) guitar!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I want to pick up acoustic guitar and there's only one music store where I live. They have Fenders and Martins and Bluridges and Ovations and Cordobas but no Seagulls. I've heard a lot of good things about S6 (e.g. its nut is wider and so good for "finger style"). But am afraid if I buy it online and don't like it, I'll have to pay some $100 to send it back. I feel a need to (man-)handle my guitar before buying it!

I like a bright resonant sound and a guitar that renders the highs well too. That's why I prefer steel string. (The store owner was a fan of nylon. I have to say classical guitars have a charm to them with their small bodies). Although this is my emotional opinion and may not turn out very suitable when I get to playing songs.

A used Martin DX1EA costs the same as an S6 (on Guitar Center). So that's another option too. The store has them (new).
Finding what guitar feels best to you is a journey and takes a while. To minimize mistakes ($$) you may want to stick to what is in stock on hand for the first couple of guitars. I have a Martin and like the neck profile. All of my guitars through dumb luck have a similar neck profile. That is just as important as the nut width and that is best determined in person. I play 100% finger style and prefer a 1.75" nut.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 AM

It is always nice to play a guitar before buying it. For a number of reasons, its not always possible and it can be a crap shoot.

The seagull has a 1.8" nut width but the sting spacing is exactly the same as a Martin with a 1.75" nut. You say you're new to guitar so I'm a bit curious why you want a wider nut? Plenty of players, including those who play finger style, prefer a nut width less than 1.8". I personally am fine playing on pretty much anything from 1 5/8" to 1 7/8" but some others are far more picky. You probably won't know what you like until you've been playing for a while.

As to the smaller size of the classical guitars you're seeing, don't forget than all of the major manufacturers make guitars that range from child size to huge. A classical sized steel string guitar is not a rare bird by any stretch and can be a wonderful thing.

Anyhow, good luck. If you have to order online, make sure it's from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and don't sweat the $100 you're going to be out if you end up not liking the guitar. Nothing will turn a new player off faster than a guitar that they don't like or is hard to play.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Well of course we'll offer options and opinions (no two the same...)

It's hard to say what you'll like when you are first starting out, and there can be a case made for just going for it and then working your way through guitars as your taste develops/changes.

If you like the classical shape and the steel-string sound, and you're thinking Seagull, the Seagull Folk (various models at various price points in Godin's lineup) would be something to consider.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

I mean, since you are new to guitar it's quite possible that you don't have the perspective of what you need right now and anyway people's preferences change as they grow as a guitarist anyway.

My advice is to buy a quality guitar from a well known builder that sounds like something you like and is recommended by someone you trust, and then play that for a few years.

At that point it would be time to re-evaluate what you need to progress as a guitar player. Right now you just need to focus on the basics, and any quality guitar should take you there.

Don't overthink this stuff, in other words. Just get a well made guitar to start with and- this is important- invest money in a quality, professional setup.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Good instinct. Especially when just getting into something, I think you need guidance and advice from someone in person. You don't say where you live but maybe there's a reputable store within an hour or three. If so, go there and get some quality time with someone.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Of course, playing a guitar before you buy it is by far the best option. But folks like me who live in rural areas aren’t blessed with local guitar stores...or even a store within 100+ miles. And even then those stores generally don’t have the models I want to try out. So if I could only buy guitars I was able to play first my selection would be VERY limited.

Thus, I’ve purchased all of my guitars (almost 20 so far) online or by phone. Bought them almost exclusively from AGF sponsors who offer unbeatable prices, personal customer care and generous return policies. Never had a problem. Never made a return.

So, sure, play first if you can...but don’t be afraid of the online option.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM

I personally would recommend not blending the quest for the perfect sounding guitar with first getting into acoustic guitar. Definitely find something that makes you want to pick it up But guessing as long as that is the case you will enjoy. Agomize over guitars 2 through 64!

I bought used early on and figured I could try things for longer periods of time, and as long as I got a good price, wouldn’t lose money if I moved on from it.

I adore my S&P and would find it hard to believe there is a better deal out there than the Godin lines. I don’t know how many utilize the Gibson-ish 1.72 nut but it seems to be my personal happy zone.

From what I read, even people who reference having an S6 in the past, say it was fantastic. And many who have far more expensive guitars now still have the S6 around.

I ended up with a Takamine as my first acoustic. Very nice guitar. But I don’t think it essentially mattered what it was as long as it was a quality instrument. Everyone is different though.

Good luck!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I mean, since you are new to guitar it's quite possible that you don't have the perspective of what you need right now and anyway people's preferences change as they grow as a guitarist anyway.

My advice is to buy a quality guitar from a well known builder that sounds like something you like and is recommended by someone you trust, and then play that for a few years.

At that point it would be time to re-evaluate what you need to progress as a guitar player. Right now you just need to focus on the basics, and any quality guitar should take you there.

Don't overthink this stuff, in other words. Just get a well made guitar to start with and- this is important- invest money in a quality, professional setup.
This^^^^^^^

Just get a quality guitar and make sure its setup well. A well setup guitar that is comfortable to play will eliminate what are some of the greater disincentives to learning to play. Seagulls are excellent;Yamaha and Alvarez make some great guitars as well.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:58 AM

rez: welcome to the AGF!

if you know of a guitar player friend that you could take with you, that would help. that person could help you evaluate the guitar as well as to play it in front of you so you know how it projects. some people say you can buy 3 cheap guitars or spend the same amount on one quality guitar. of course, it is your $$.

also, check various stores and online shops for pricing of the one(s) you are looking at. that way you have educated yourself.

good luck.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
...I've heard a lot of good things about S6 (e.g. its nut is wider and so good for "finger style").....
That was my thinking when I started getting back into acoustic guitar. I've got big hands and figured I had fat fingers, so needed a 1.75" nut for fingerstyle. I ended up with several all solid wood EF500 Epiphones from the 2004-2010 production run....

But after getting back into it for a little while, the fretting fingers seem to "sharpen up." Even though it's noticeable, the more standard narrower 1.725" nut was not really any problem and plays fingerstyle just fine along with flatpicking or anything else. Anyway, that's my experience.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Your focus as a beginning player should be on ease of playing so you can master things like the dreaded F chord. I have tried a few Seagulls and actually found them hard to play. As for sound keep in mind that about 60% of that comes from right hand technique, 20% from strings, 10% from pick or fingers and only the rest is contributed from the guitar. Between the Martin Ovation and Blueridge you should be able to find one that is comfortable and easy to play. Don't bother with online shopping until you are ready to go for a specific used model.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Your local carries decent guitars.
As was said above, get a good quality instrument from a well known maker.
Have it set up as a good fingerpicker, with possibility of much strumming.

Most people that keep playing, or quit, don’t do it because if the brand of guitar they are playing.

If you know someone that KNOWS guitars, have them help you find a good, serviceable used instrument.
If it’s good, you’ll play it. When you’re ready to upgrade, you can sell it for about what you paid, and put that money towards the new one.
If you decide guitar isn’t for you, you can resell for what you paid.

But right now, you don’t know dreadnought from 000, short scale from long scale, and wether you’ll be a flat picker, strummer, or finger style player...if you stick with it.
I’m not trying to discourage you. But guitar is both the easiest and hardest instrument.
No matter what, there will be sore fingers.
There will be frustrating moments when you try to learn some pieces.
There will be triumphs (like the first time you play the intro for Wanted Dead or Alice, or the intro to Tears in Heaven).
But make no mistake, sore fingers and frustration come first.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion