The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Default If I want bells and whistles I'll go to church in my....

Good. Now that I have your attention

I'm wondering if there is a good clean and powerful acoustic amp that anyone out there might use that is really good but kinda plain you know? It doesn't come with effects, it doesn't have non-musical eq, and 2 or 3 channels (your guitar, your vocal and your pet seal to help with sound effects)? I feel like the market lacks something like this. I'm annoyed to have to always feel like I'm spending money on "features" I just don't want and will never use.

Imagine you are a a fingerstyle guitarist who has a killer pedal board with effects that just make every onboard line up of effects out there useless. You don't sing so no vocal channel needed but you want something that has power- like at least 50W that has an XLR line out. Does such a thing even exist?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 PM

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but I think it's irrelevant if that exists or not.
Pick any acoustic amp of suitable wattage, and leave everything flat.
While the other features may be there, you don't have to use them, just pick an amp that you like the look of, plug in your pedal board, and away you go.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

I'm wondering if there is a good clean and powerful acoustic amp that anyone out there might use that is really good but kinda plain you know? It doesn't come with effects, it doesn't have non-musical eq, and 2 or 3 channels (your guitar, your vocal and your pet seal to help with sound effects)? I feel like the market lacks something like this. I'm annoyed to have to always feel like I'm spending money on "features" I just don't want and will never use.

Imagine you are a a fingerstyle guitarist who has a killer pedal board with effects that just make every onboard line up of effects out there useless. You don't sing so no vocal channel needed but you want something that has power- like at least 50W that has an XLR line out. Does such a thing even exist?
I had a swr california blonde that was exactly that... huge amp, don't know what I was thinking when I was 22.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:

Sure... try Tommy Emmanuel's choice, an AER Compact 60.

Yes, they have two channels, but you don't have to use them both (although you may want a mic to announce songs and banter with the audience...).

Small, lightweight (my Compact 60/2 weighs in at ~13#s), extremely clean, LOUD sound from this little thing! They are pricey if bought new, but I got mine barely used for about 1/2 of a new one.

I do sing, and I've played 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars AND sang through the Compact in very big rooms without ever having the master volume past 11 o'clock. The thing has only ONE eight-inch speaker, yet produces wonderfully clean, transparent signal reproduction.

You feed this beast good signal going in and it just sounds amazing... I try to get 10-15' between myself and the amp when I'm on stage, as the sound from the amp "blooms" after 5' or so...

Oh yeah, it has an XLR out...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 AM

In this case, how about using a FRFR (full range flat response) powered PA speaker as your "amp." Many people do. Or perhaps a powered guitar cab like this...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-cabinet

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 01-22-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

...yes a powered speaker is the ticket...better still if you send your signal through a quality DI...
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Fender Acoustasonic. Guitar channel, microphone challen, just a three band "EQ" levels and a chorus. Super simple. No bells or whistles, really.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-22-2019, 07:32 AM

Many acoustic musician's gig with a Fishman Loudbox mini, Artist, or Performer. Loud amps that sound good. Plug straight in a play. More people complain about lack of effects than those who don't. So op, you are in the minority that manufacturers can't bend to. I prefer some reverb on an amp and complain the lack of it on high end amps.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 AM

A powered speaker and your choice of pedal or mixer that does only what you want and can be conveniently placed right in front of you.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes. It's called a powered speaker. The QSC k8.2 or if you feel you need more low end the QSC k10.2 will give you more power and better sound than just about any acoustic amp if you have the killer pedal setup. And you really don't need a killer pedal setup. I've used my QSC k8.2 with just my Boss VE-8 with fantastic results.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes. It's called a powered speaker. The QSC k8.2 or if you feel you need more low end the QSC k10.2 will give you more power and better sound than just about any acoustic amp if you have the killer pedal setup. And you really don't need a killer pedal setup. I've used my QSC k8.2 with just my Boss VE-8 with fantastic results.
X2 on the QSC K8.2. Great speaker! Warm, thumpy, and does an excellent job replicating an acoustic guitar's tone, in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM

This is why I love this forum! Thanks for the helpful responses folks! I see that many of these options fall into an affordable range too- just what I'm looking for but I'm very much a newbie at portable power speakers market.

I take it these sound at least "good" with acoustic guitars? I wouldn't see why not, and I'm not hung up on that idea anyway since my guitars sound "plugged in" no matter what I'm running them through. YMMV.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Line6 L2T FRFR powered speaker. 2 ch. input, easily put vocals in ch2. some reverb built in, can be put on a stand or tilted on it's side. XLR out to FOH. very versatile speaker for acoustic/vocal use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification