The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
If you're not used up looking at pictures of Tom's guitar (to be shipped today), you can find my glaringly honest sunny day pictures of it HERE. I have cleaned it and put on a set of 80/20 John Pearce strings, which will not go up to tension till Tom takes it out of its Visesnut case around Friday.
Well isn't that just perfect? Those just happen to be my favorite strings at the moment! I might just have to keep this one just for that reason!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Shipped!

Now I will get to work in earnest on the Schoenberg 000.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

While making Tom's guitar's page I realized I had never gotten around to making a page for the stunningly beautiful FT-00 "The Tree" I made a few months ago, and which I may bring to B.I.G if I still have it then. So I also made a page for it today, which is HERE.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Wow, just look at that! B.I.G. 2019 would be honored to welcome this guitar into the fold, but I have a feeling it may not last until then!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Smile Almost gone already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, just look at that! B.I.G. 2019 would be honored to welcome this guitar into the fold, but I have a feeling it may not last until then!
Tom is right. I REALLY doubt this will last that long unsold!!! What a beauty

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Visit to Bruce's

My apologies to Bruce for the lengthy delay in posting this. I was in CA for the first time in around 15 years this summer, and took the opportunity to drop into Bruce's workshop for a couple of hours.
First off, Bruce was warm, welcoming, comfortable and very funny in his inimical sardonic way. Most luthiers I've met are fun to hang around with, Bruce is right up there in terms of companionship value and allowing you to play whatever you want in a relaxed way.
I have stated in the past that Bruce builds some of the best guitars I have ever played in terms of tone satisfaction for my taste. One of his early Adi/Braz Dreads remains the most outstanding Dreadnaught I have played, and an 0 size in Malaysian blackwood that was at TAMCO lives in my memory as the greatest guitar of that size I have encountered.

This time around I only played smaller-bodied guitars, Bruce didn't bother to show me his current Dreads, as I was focusing on sizes between 00-OM which suit my taste. I played quite a few guitars from his inventory, and all had plenty to offer.
The 00 "the tree" was as sweet as you like, with a lovely shimmering palette, and a super-classy feel.
The L-00 Amazon rosewood cutaway was one of my two favourites. Bruce has a talent for description, and I think he summed it up as "this guitar lacks nothing": rich, deep, sonorous, marvellously powerful. Definitely an all-rounder, you could play what you want on this one.
If you like pernambuco, you'll love the L00 and the JB-16; both exhibit in spades the singing clarity and piercing sustain that this wood is renowned for. It's a unique flavour, very special and memorable.
The Magnolia/Catalpa OM had its own flavour going on, a pleasant woody sound with plenty of punch.
I may have played one or two which I don't recall now, but my overall favourite was the 2010 14 fret 00 in legendary Madagascar rosewood. I can't say enough good things about this guitar, and I am absolutely amazed at how long it hung around for sale on this forum. This was definitely the most satisfying 00 I have ever played, just outrageously gorgeous tone in every way. My particular obsession in terms of tone is the balance between sweetness and power/volume, and for me this guitar absolutely nailed it. Not quite as deep and sonorous as the Amazon L00, which is a bigger guitar, but with a delightful sweet charm, superb responsiveness and wonderfully powerful trebles rounding out a gloriously mature tonal palette. If I had the money I would have bought it on the spot, and I'm planning to find a way to get my hands on it in the future, when if ever the sterling/dollar exchange rate improves!
Many thanks to Bruce for his time and effortless company. Dennis
Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

It was good to see you again, Dennis, after so many years! You have been an outspoken fan for a long time (Thank You), and I'd love to see you become a custodian of one of my pieces.

While I was in Cremona, I spent as much time as I could in the Violin section of the show. That's what the show is focused on, and in hindsight I would have liked to have gone there with my violin hat on and left my other identities at home. There were about 20 European wood suppliers there offering supplies, and several of them did have guitar wood. I bought from two of them. (Like I need more wood! ) The Swiss wood cutter Florinett had several hundred sets of premium Swiss spruce and I brought back 5 tops which are as good as I have ever seen. They were also the most expensive spruce I have ever been able to bring myself to pony up for. I do think this will turn out to be a case of "you get what you pay for".

There was a fairly priced Italian based supplier of Bosnian Maple as well, and I bought a single set from them which just slayed me with its medulary as it was SO perfectly quartered. Oddly, they gave me a deal on it because they didn't think it was white enough. I went through their whole pile and it was the only one I wanted. Florinett was kind enough to include it with their spruce despite the fact that they were selling competing maple, which saved my quite a bit on the shipping side. I thought that was nice beyond the call of duty.

It is futile to take pictures of white wood and expect them to look interesting on the internet . . . and yet I have attempted it:

Swiss AAA (Their master is mostly just finer grained IMO) I pulled 3 AAA and 2 Master.

Bosnian maple:

Closer:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:32 PM

Wow, that top looks amazing, just look at that silking. Little harder for me to tell on the maple, but if you thought it good enough to buy and ship home, it must be really special. I think maple is my second favorite wood next to BRW and people need to get over the old stereotypes regarding it.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, that top looks amazing, just look at that silking. Little harder for me to tell on the maple, but if you thought it good enough to buy and ship home, it must be really special. I think maple is my second favorite wood next to BRW and people need to get over the old stereotypes regarding it.
I have been finding that maple, in the right hands, is so much better than I thought it was. If I am fortunate enough to add one more, that might be the direction for me.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’d love to make a Bosnian maple/Swiss spruce JB (MultiScale) for you, Mike. Currently, that could be late in 2019, just before CigarFan’s slot.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’d love to make a Bosnian maple/Swiss spruce JB (MultiScale) for you, Mike. Currently, that could be late in 2019, just before CigarFan’s slot.
Bruce, that would be awesome, but college payments start next year so it may be a while before I have that kind of disposable income. Sounds like it would be amazing, though!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-01-2018, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have found that nearly anyone actually can afford one of my guitars once they get to where they see the value. Most things worth doing are difficult! You should probably avoid B.I.G if you can.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's the top of the new Schoenberg. The rosette and the bracing are complete. Now I will brace the back, make the end blocks, and bend the sides.

I got this "Adirondack" top from Allied about 8 years ago. I think it is actually Canadian, but looks great to me. I doubt it will be overly polite.

This is a clean example of the all wood rosette i use on Schoenberg's guitars to emulate Martin's current plastic rosette.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have found that nearly anyone actually can afford one of my guitars once they get to where they see the value. Most things worth doing are difficult! You should probably avoid B.I.G if you can.
Avoid it? Nah! I love temptation.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Avoid it? Nah! I love temptation.
You are warned. Looking forward to meeting, then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop