The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Default Repairing the end block

I came across a Maestro guitar which appears to have been dropped on the end pin. The exterior laminate is cracked vertically from top to back of the guitar and you can push the end block in slightly. The portion that seems to have received the most trauma is the bottom of the end block near the bottom back of the guitar. The rest of the guitar appears to be in great shape. The binding is tight and the bridge is secure. The neck is straight and fairly true. I attempted to look inside using a mirror and could see that the end block looks like it is still in it proper position.

Consequently, I need suggestions on how to go about repairing (reattaching the laminate) to the end block without having to take the body apart.

My solution would be to apply glue between the laminate and the end block from the outside so as to stabilize and secure the end block. I would have to support the end block from the inside and employ a pressure clamp using a strap clamp. Suggestions on type of glue? Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 PM

If you think you can get some glue in there I would use a jack on the inside from the neck block back to the end block to put pressure, as well as a long clamp from front to back on the outside. I've made jacks using a turnbuckle available at any hardware store, cutting off the ends and attaching appropriate length pieces of wood. I would use ordinary wood glue like Titebond.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM

You can make a cull and clamp thru the end pin hole with a threaded rod, washer and wingnut.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 AM

+1
I use a 1/4" bolt and a wingnut. The bolt is installed from the inside. Blocks of wood (cauls) are used inside and out to distribute the pressure.
Older Martins have a strip of wood glued inside the tail block that often comes loose. I use this same technique to reglue those.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:40 AM

I cannot tell from the OP's description if the problem is a separation of the sides from the block; a separation of the block from the top or back; or a cracked block; or a combination of these. I'd want a clearer idea of the damage before prescribing a fix.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Sounds to me like he is using the term 'laminate' to mean the sides and if there is a vertical crack from top to bottom that would be a cross grain crack and that don't sound good. OF course it could be that the 'crack' is simply the seam near or adjacent to the end block graft if it has one.

Pics would help.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 PM

If it is a vertical crack, maybe the grain in the end block is oriented that way.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Sounds to me like he is using the term 'laminate' to mean the sides and if there is a vertical crack from top to bottom that would be a cross grain crack and that don't sound good. OF course it could be that the 'crack' is simply the seam near or adjacent to the end block graft if it has one.

Pics would help.
Yes, it is the seam that secures the sides to the end block. The end block does not appear to cracked.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:21 AM

I think we really need to see some good quality pics pickinbob.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think we really need to see some good quality pics pickinbob.
I use photobucket, but for some reason I cannot upload any photos or I would gladly accommodate your request.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 AM

At Photobucket select direct link and past into the box that comes up when you click on the icon with the mountains with the yellow sky in the Reply to Thread page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair