The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Thanks a lot guys. Eric, thanks. I signed up for an account there and I'll get to work making some clips of it to post. I thought I'd post some drawings today to get the wheels cranking on what's coming up. The first is what the case is going to look like.

And these are the beginnings of the next carved guitar. It'll be a while out since I still have to make the case and get things squared away with that before I begin that one. It will be my SD shape which is a dread shape with a 14 1/4" lower bout. It will be called the Falcon.

The armrest bevel

The rosette, which will actually be carved around into the inside of the box at a depth of 1/2".

And two possible options for the headstock.

I'll start another thread for this build though when the time comes. And if you didn't notice, one of my kids wanted to help design it
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM

I love that case. I'm assuming it will have two shoulder straps on the back for getting to gigs(?!). Beautiful work. Good luck on the new creations.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM

that is one heavy mettle guitar!

perhaps you could call it the tonacity model, or maybe deep resolution.

thanks for sharing the build - very enjoyable.

but perhaps seriously, how about chimera for a name?
(it does have some 'negative' connotations, but it also implies a dream fantasy, multiple tissues (the sides), a composite structure, and has the word chime in it)

Last edited by mc1; 04-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
AGF Administrator

This is only the second thread in this section that I've followed and I have to say that I'm awed with how you made your dream into a wonderful sounding and looking reality.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 AM

Here's a clip that I just uploaded to soundcloud. Hopefully the link works. And I'll apologize early for the poor technique in the middle of the cello suite section

http://soundcloud.com/anelso/01-track-1-1
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Suite sound! The low end is actually very cello-like on the recording. A beauty and a player. You must be happy with this result.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks Jobe, I am very happy with the results.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM

Very nice Andrew.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:13 PM

I just stumbled upon this fascinating thread from a year or more ago, and I would love to know what happened next. Did this stunning guitar find a happy home? Has Andrew been able to complete more carved guitars, and can he sell them for anything like enough to make it worth his while? If I were a wealthy man I would own guitars like this just to look at, and to support the creative artist. Alas, I am no Lorenzo de Medici: I can barely afford the entrance fees to the museums of fine art he commissioned.

Many of the most interesting build threads on this forum seem to disappear into thin air before the last chapter of the book is written, much less the epilogue. It's a shame.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM

very fine and refreshing work Andy,
regards Geo
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanks SJ and Geo, I still have the guitar, but it still isn't for sale at this point. After posting the final pictures, I decided that I didn't like how the finish turned out, so I ended up stripping all of the finish back to bare wood. The finish is almost done again, but it has had to sit back for a while. I bought an old dilapidated farm last year and have been focusing all of my spare time in the reconstruction/improvement of that property, which still has a long way to go before I can get back to the guitar stuff. I did start another carved guitar back when I was in the stripping/refinishing phase though, so I'll post pics of that when it gets further along.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM

there's absolutely no compliment I can pay to that guitar that would do it justice. Incredible craftsmanship.
Taylor 612ce
Little Martin LX1E
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar that will age very well I predict! Back sides rosette and headstock and neck seem to be perfection..... The tone is somewhat like a 12 string, I guess due to the unique top build. I would like to see one built with a red spruce top, maybe with a slight arch! Great job.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Just wow

Wow- I just used an hour of my work time looking through this thread... I can honestly say this looks amazing. One suggestion though- I think "La Reve" (with the circumflex first 'e') has more of a ring to it than just "Reve". If you think about it this way, it's like saying "The Dream" rather than just "Dream" That or something else in french- cool sounding relevant words I can think of are: "vivant"(living),"chanson"(song), and "(en) bois"(wood(en)) By the way is the cabinet done yet? it has been over a year I think- and I can't find another thread on it...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the input ilovepokemon. I wanted the name to be something that provokes action, as in a verb rather than noun, if that makes sense. I still haven't made the case for it. It's locked away in it's travel case for now. I got too excited about other projects like the "lady of the woods" build and some others I have planned. Thanks for looking through the thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop