The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Default Mark Gaiero's Beautiful OM - Luthier Stories

Hello everyone,

During my recent visit to Oakland I had the chance to spend some time with a luthier whose name and profile is already starting to get established in the minds of The Acousticati both on and offline - Mark Gaiero.

While you may not yet be familiar with Mark's work I can confidently say that it is as good as you might expect of a luthier trained in Ervin Somogyi's workshop. Mark's work stands out for many reasons including his refusal to compromise his sound the materials he uses to get it, and the excellent hand skills that go into the creation of one of his guitars (before the world of lutherie Mark worked in animation making metal armatures for the movies. Which is pretty cool!

Anyway, enough from me, here's Mark and that wonderful OM.

All the best for 2019

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Thank you, Michael, for these interesting insights into the lutherie scene. I have been curious about Mark Gaiero's work, particularly because he seems to specialize on (Black) Walnut, a beautiful tonewood. How would you describe the tone of this instrument?
All my best wishes for 2019!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Thank you, Michael, for these interesting insights into the lutherie scene. I have been curious about Mark Gaiero's work, particularly because he seems to specialize on (Black) Walnut, a beautiful tonewood. How would you describe the tone of this instrument?
Hi Ernesto!

You're very welcome, thank you so much for watching!

Mark's work is extremely good and he really does seem to have a talent for bringing out the best in walnut which has long been a wood (imho) that separates the men from the boys. Previously my gold standards for walnut guitars had been the Petros Ultralite (with a redwood top) and a couple of Froggy Bottoms in Bastogne walnut that I'd had the pleasure of playing. Mark's OM however, is on another level entirely. Very special work.

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Michael. Beautiful and distinctive work - I love the dyed maple details.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Music soothes the soul!

They are new but I sure look forward to your Luthier series interviews. Mark has some really nice detail on that OM. Rosette is gorgeous. Really sounds nice as well.

Thanks for sharing Michael!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Michael. Beautiful and distinctive work - I love the dyed maple details.
My pleasure! Mark's detail work is very beautiful, I'd been watching him on instagram with interest but in real life the rosette just shines. Excellent stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
They are new but I sure look forward to your Luthier series interviews. Mark has some really nice detail on that OM. Rosette is gorgeous. Really sounds nice as well.

Thanks for sharing Michael!
Thank you! I have enjoyed talking to my friends in the community for many years and it's a real pleasure to share some of these conversations and insights.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Michael,

I always enjoy your play and your YT channel~ This episode of your Luthier Stories is something I've thought about it for a long time.
Thank you for sharing!

Cheers

Alan
Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Hi, Ernesto

I believe Mark can also handle other species very well with his amazing craftsmanship~ Actually, our next project is an OMC with German/Granadillo combo. So you can check that out what Mark can do with other tonewoods!
I will post a build thread for it once the build begins~

Cheers

Alan
Old 01-04-2019, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for Luthier Stories Michael, NICE....! I met Mark at the SBAIC show in 2017, he was manning Ervins booth, such a solid guy! We actually snuck away from the show and took a dip in the ocean across the street, shh, dont tell Ervin, lol... Mark, yo, such a cool guitar, superb sounding, I look forward to playing one!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
Michael,

I always enjoy your play and your YT channel~ This episode of your Luthier Stories is something I've thought about it for a long time.
Thank you for sharing!

Cheers

Alan
Thanks for your support Alan, it means a lot to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Thanks for Luthier Stories Michael, NICE....! I met Mark at the SBAIC show in 2017, he was manning Ervins booth, such a solid guy! We actually snuck away from the show and took a dip in the ocean across the street, shh, dont tell Ervin, lol... Mark, yo, such a cool guitar, superb sounding, I look forward to playing one!
Dave you naughty man! Obviously I am appalled but then again, having seen the beach at Santa Barbara first hand I can't really begrudge you a swim!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 01-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Hi Ernesto!

You're very welcome, thank you so much for watching!

Mark's work is extremely good and he really does seem to have a talent for bringing out the best in walnut which has long been a wood (imho) that separates the men from the boys. Previously my gold standards for walnut guitars had been the Petros Ultralite (with a redwood top) and a couple of Froggy Bottoms in Bastogne walnut that I'd had the pleasure of playing. Mark's OM however, is on another level entirely. Very special work.

All the best

MDW
Thank you, Michael!
The Walnut Froggies have an excellent reputation, so what you say sounds very tempting indeed...
All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
Hi, Ernesto

I believe Mark can also handle other species very well with his amazing craftsmanship~ Actually, our next project is an OMC with German/Granadillo combo. So you can check that out what Mark can do with other tonewoods!
I will post a build thread for it once the build begins~

Cheers

Alan
Thank you, Alan!
I am sure he can, and Granadillo is another tonewood that interests me very much. Looking forward to that build thread!
All the best

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop