The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Default 1920's Gibson L4 back recently from some minor repair work. LOL

Picked this up a year or so ago for a decent price when acquired a couple items. Thankfully I know a Luthier that can do this kind of repair work.
was in pretty rough shape. The headstock completely broken off, fret board off, the neck off. Someone cut a strip out of the back center seam and spliced in a peace of wood and removed all the finish off the back. but everything was there for parts. I'm sure my repair guy said a few naughty word piecing this one back together.
It sounds great, Like it came straight off an old eddie lang swing album from the mid 20's. It's the fattest neck that I've ever played on a guitar. Can we say baseball bat or billie club like. LOL Here's some before and after pic's
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And After
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Doc,
That looks like a very nicely done restoration, and I'm glad that you saw the potential!

Who did the work?

My 1930 L-5 only had an 8" heel crack to be fixed (body on either side+), but yours was pretty extensive.

My buddy, John Monteleone, fixed mine shortly after I got it back in 1976.

Enjoy yours!

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

PS-What's up with that tailpiece?

It looks like something that Gibson came up with on their first design attempt. My L-5 has the wrap-around, but the bar is much narrower, as is typical.

HE
Old 04-03-2016, 06:04 PM

Very nice restoration! Kudos to you for bringing it back to life. I am quite enamored of archtops these days(have a '38 Epi Broadway) and would love to get an oval or round hole one like your L-4.

Dave
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM

My buddy Charlie did the work coenguitars.com
He Left the top alone, the back had to be refinished though. A lil bit of seam showing where whoever had It before me glued in the strip in the back.
The tail piece is original, from what can tell is the second style Gibson had on these L4's. The earlier style took bridge pins in the tail piece. Def sounds Kewl, straight outta some Eddie Lang swing albums. Sounds good playing some blues on too.
I've got black diamond mediums on it now. Thinking about some heavies but not sure my fingers can handle them. Lol
Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM

I would try lighter strings on it. I find that the heavy strings might get more volume if you pick really hard, but lighter strings often loosen the guitar up and let it sing a bit more, I get more shimmer and sparkle. I like the tail-piece, definitely seems correct for a '20's L4.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM

Nice work, Nice Axe and a big THANK YOU for the Eddie Lang reference!

Swing on!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops