The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Default 1934 l5

Hey guys,Charlie @ Gothic City Guitars has a sweet "34" L5 for sale 8,665.00, already have a deluxe all accoustic Campellone archtop,and contemplating going to his place to give it a try.Have a look on his site...I am tempted......

Last edited by kayakman; 12-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Pretty interesting. The price is real good, although as noted it has replaced parts. You should find out exactly what. I think tuners and tailpiece, which seem inexplicably to have been replaced with nickel rather than gold, also the bridge. You should get the serial # and FON for a guitar like this and research the actual approximate manufacture date. In 1934 this guitar should have had large block inlays rather than dots, so either it's an earlier instrument not sold (and hence not given a serial #) until 1934, or it's had the fretboard replaced (not likely, but who knows).

Also take note of the inlaid word "The" on the headstock, which appears to be made of a brighter pearl than "Gibson" and squeezed in really close to the binding. Could be okay, because these were all handmade, but deserves close inspection.

When the serial number and FON are inspected, look at the tone bars and determine if they are kerfed (slots cut into them) or not. PM me with any specific questions if you like. I own a 1928 L-5.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

rp: I have to look at it,is right here on Staten island,the in the Gibson looks like it`s been added, it is possile the dot makers are right...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Not an original fretboard or nut, and the headstock face isn't right--at least the "The" isn't. Tuners not original. Nice maple on the back.

I suspect some kind of headstock repair--the black paint on back comes down lower than original, which would come to a V. And it doesn't look like original black lacquer on the headstock.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-08-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 PM

I have a 34 L5 and can send you some detailed photos if you want ,as a comparison

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops