The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 12:24 PM

Default play b4 i buy

Dont buy if I dont play it

...Im in the market for a acoustic guitar.
Looking at 40s LG2s, J45s and others...but yeah Gibson
Lots to look at on line. Good descriptions, pix etc...but I gotta have it in hand. Then Ill know.

Yes many people have success with online purchases and I'd probably be ok with a reputable dealer and it is convenient after all...but if theres an issue its still back and forth to solve it.

Ive seen guitars on websites that look like the one and then I drive there to play it and end up disappointed. The neck, the this the that...Im glad I didnt buy before I played it

.I live close to NYC so Im going in soon so it'll be guitar try out day. TR Crandall; Rudys; Lark Street Music...wherever

Anybody feel that way? Play it first?
Old 04-01-2024, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

The more I buy online the more I find myself wanting to be able to try first. But where can you try multiples of vintage guitars, and affordable ones at that? Sure I can buy locally from the guy asking $1k over a reasonable price, but that's a lot of hassle too. I've yet to find a decent middle ground except for maybe the used section at Guitar Center's acoustic room. My local guitar shop with decent vintage and high end stuff is wayyyy over priced.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:31 PM

Unless I'm buying a brand new Taylor (with its consistent build process) it's always play first. Even with the Taylors if they're used.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsky View Post
Some feel that way, some feel the other way. I've bought both ways without any issues because I know what I'm after and know who can deliver it to me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2024, 12:51 PM

I can never find anything remotely close to what I'm looking for when I'm "in the market" except on line.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Lots to look at on line. Good descriptions, pix etc...but I gotta have it in hand. Then Ill know.

Yes many people have success with online purchases and I'd probably be ok with a reputable dealer and it is convenient after all...but if theres an issue its still back and forth to solve it.

Ive seen guitars on websites that look like the one and then I drive there to play it and end up disappointed. The neck, the this the that...Im glad I didnt buy before I played it

.I live close to NYC so Im going in soon so it'll be guitar try out day. TR Crandall; Rudys; Lark Street Music...wherever

Nope. Try living in the wilds of northern New England. Slim pickin's. So I shop online. If I don't like it, I send it back.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Out of 100+ guitars over the decades, I've purchased exactly ONE without playing it first (pre-paid with a 2-3 month supply-chain delay at the peak of the plague).

I took that leap-of-faith plunge only because the business owner promised in writing that I could play it when it finally arrived in-store and accept a full refund instead if I didn't love it. Turns out I'm good with the guitar (one of four in my current modest inventory) and I've been playing out with it for 3 years.

Just one player's opinion here. I'm VERY hesitant to buy online without a local physical store, even with a money back guarantee. I'd not enjoy being on the hook for return shipping if it turned out to be a dud.

Back to my buy/sell/trade hobby since the early-70s. At least half the instruments I've driven across town to "test-drive" in person, stayed with their would be sellers because they didn't measure up for one reason or another.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-01-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I always try and play before buying. But I guess it depends on where you live and the availability of the guitar you are looking for. In the online world there is more availability
Old 04-01-2024, 01:59 PM

I try to pay before buying. Most of my purchases have happened on the spot when I wasn't looking to buy. Having said that, I've had look with the 3 online purchases I've made. The first was a J-45 50's Original when they first came out and were hard to find due to the pandemic. I went through Wildwood after talking to them about it over the phone. That was my first online purchase and it worked out. It was a total gamble as I've found most Gibsons disappointing in person. It was a relief when I played it. The second was an exclusive PRS SE Custom Quilt 24 from Sweetwater. PRS is incredibly reliable as far as consistency, and Sweetwater's inspections made me feel more comfortable. Luckily, it worked out great, especially considering the shipping to Hawaii, where I was living at the time. This one I wasn't as worried, especially being an electric.

My last purchase was a 514CE hog/cedar from L.A. Guitar Sales. It was a NOS at a good price, so I figured I'd risk it and could always take a day off from work and drive it back (1.5hrs). I could've done the same to go check it out, but it was the weekend and too good of a deal to pass up on a discontinued model and chance someone else snatching it. To be honest, I almost returned it. I remember seeing it was listed as a '22 model, which made me skeptical from the beginning. I immediately thought there must've been something wrong with it for it to not have sold, especially looking at the serial number and seeing it was actually 2yrs older than listed (at least from what I remember being listed, but I may be remembering wrong). I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a guitar's sound at home. When I played it, it sounded dead. I only forced myself to keep playing because there was no way I'd find another in that condition and for that price. I'm glad I'm so stubborn! It started opening up after like an hour of playing. I've also had a Tonerite on it whenever I'm not playing it, and it's completely transformed into a keeper. It sounds completely different. Poor thing probably spent all its time in the case until now (it was PRISTINE).

Having said that, I understand the apprehension. I only feel comfortable, as much as can be possible given the situation, on certain brands coming from specific retailers. I try not to look online cuz of that, unless it's a trusted shop with multiple of the same model and they're willing to describe the differences between them.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 04-01-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Add Retrofret to your list. You are fortunate that there are several dealers in NYC and vicinity that specialize in vintage instruments (TR Crandall, Retrofret, Lark Street, etc.).

As a left-handed player, it’s rare that the guitars I’m interested in are available to play locally, so I welcome the convenience that the internet has provided.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

It's not about which one is the right one. There are QC issues (fit and finish, etc) issues, ergonomic issues (size and shape of the neck, body, etc), wood preference issues, and sound-related issues to deal with that are just easier to deal with in person than by taking a chance and buying a guitar you've never gotten to touch or inspect. You can deal with all those by buying a guitar online, provided there's a good return policy and you are willing to face the possibility of all that back and forth and time loss. And sometimes you just don't have a choice because there is no practical way to try out what you are looking for.

But if sound is one of your most important criteria, short of having someone send you several of the model you are looking for with the agreement that you get to try them all out and send all but 1 back, the only way you can do that is to go somewhere that has multiple guitars to sit and play and compare. In terms of sound, the problem is that every single guitar of the same model will sound a little different and, especially with manufactured guitars, sometimes 1 out of several will sound noticeably better to you than all the others. This type of evaluation cannot be done by buying guitars online. How you buy depends on what you want, how picky and discriminating you are (or what you are fine with, without being very discriminating) and what's possible to even do and to me, no one should fault another person's way of buying a guitar. It's a learning experience that can be as enjoyable as playing the guitar itself is.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Larrivee L-03
Old 04-01-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
....I live close to NYC.... Anybody feel that way? Play it first?
Ha. I live up in the Kaniksu National Forest. All my guitars are bought online. I've had exceptionally good luck!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-01-2024, 03:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I live close to NYC so Im going in soon so it'll be guitar try out day. TR Crandall; Rudys; Lark Street Music...wherever.
Obviously it’s best to play before you pay if you can. And if I lived where you live with easy access to such great shops the choice would be even more of a no-brainer. But I live in rural Oklahoma. So buying online/by phone from reputable shops with good return policies or used from guitar forum friends is my lifeline to a huge selection of fine guitars. So far, problem free.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 04-01-2024, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Default play b4 i buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Ha. I live up in the Kaniksu National Forest. All my guitars are bought online. I've had exceptionally good luck!

I’m in a similar situation, on the big beige dot in the upper right of all that blue. Not many choices within reach.
I’ve also had good luck buying on line, fortunately. Not perfect, but I’m content with what I’ve found. Knowing what you want and dealing with reputable people helps.
Every location is a set of trade offs…I’m lucky to be content with mine.
IMG_0267.jpg
Old 04-01-2024, 04:13 PM

I would prefer to play a guitar before I buy it. That said, all four of the guitars in my sig were purchased online and they are all keepers.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion