The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Strings that are the quietest for singing along strumming

I have trouble with singing while playing because my voice is not loud enough and I don't want to scream. I need advice on which strings to use. Which 11 is quietest? Which 12 is quietest? And which 13 is quietest? Also overall, which is quietest without talking about gauge. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:05 PM

Silk and Steel. You may love or despise them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-22-2021, 01:14 PM

You don't need quiet strings. You need to learn to play quietly. I can strum really quietly if I wanted (usually by switching to fingers instead of a pick) or really loudly (with a pick) all on the same guitar.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
You don't need quiet strings. You need to learn to play quietly. I can strum really quietly if I wanted (usually by switching to fingers instead of a pick) or really loudly (with a pick) all on the same guitar.
If I hold my pick too loose to strum quieter, it can fall off my fingers. Bruce gave me a bunch of picks that has a built in grip spikes, have helped lots. However I think strings will also make a difference and go hand in hand with the picks as well.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
If I hold my pick too loose to strum quieter, it can fall off my fingers. Bruce gave me a bunch of picks that has a built in grip spikes, have helped lots. However I think strings will also make a difference and go hand in hand with the picks as well.
It's not now you hold the pick but how forcefully you "attack" the strings with the pick (or fingers).

It's all about right hand control.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Strings won't make as much of a difference as your right (or left) hand attack. It's not just how you hold the pick, but how hard or soft you strum or pick, using more of your wrist vs your arm, how you angle the pick against the strings, etc.

I struggled with the same thing early on in my playing while trying to sing along with it; I was drowning out my voice, or singing too loud to compensate for my lack of sensitivity and nuance in my right hand attack.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Silk and Steel. You may love or despise them.
This is correct. Many of the senior citizen folk singing members of our club uses them to balance out the voice and instrument. A lighter right hand touch is even more critical, if achievable for you.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:26 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Strings won't make as much of a difference as your right (or left) hand attack. It's not just how you hold the pick, but how hard or soft you strum or pick, using more of your wrist vs your arm, how you angle the pick against the strings, etc.

I struggled with the same thing early on in my playing while trying to sing along with it; I was drowning out my voice, or singing too loud to compensate for my lack of sensitivity and nuance in my right hand attack.
Yes! This!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Agreed that string gauge isn't going to make much of a difference in terms of volume, unless you switch to silk and steel which I believe you didn't really like on your new Martin. As mentioned it's really about working on your right hand control. Another option is to strum with your thumb and/or index finger when singing along.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:32 PM

If you want to play quietly, put your pick back in your picket and play with your hand.

Or just get singing lessons; I used to have the exact same trouble as you, then I went and had a year of singing lessons and it made a huge difference - to every aspect of my singing, incluiding volume. With training/practice you'll be a LOT louder without straining and screaming. I easily drown out my guitars when i want to now.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the tip guys. I will have to rework my strumming.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Dave, what others are saying is what I was suggesting to you in your S&T Wagon Wheel thread. The fact that your playing is drowning your vocals has nothing to do with the strings or pick and everything to do with how hard you’re hitting the strings (attack). If you can’t seem to control it, maybe try playing without a pick. Many of us are bare finger players. I’ve been since the beginning.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip guys. I will have to rework my strumming.
Very good. I also replied to your case question in the other thread. Welcome to the AGF and your guitar journey.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM

Don’t know what size guitar you are playing, but a smaller bodied guitar can help a lot. Sure does for me. I don’t have the volume at 73 that I had when younger. A dread really makes it tough without a mic for vocals.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:11 PM

Nylon strings!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion