The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 07:29 AM

When I was playing rhythm in a contradance band and wanted a little more chk, chk to punctuate the rhythm, I move down to a TAD 40. They play very smoothly and I think you'll find yourself working less hard to produce the sound. I also play mandolin and so have been totally immersed in large triangles for a long time. To get close to the feel of a traditional pick, the 35 or 40 thickness will probably be closest. Of course, as any bluegrasser will tell you, you can play rhythm with a thicker pick too with a lighter stroke.

One thing to be aware of: different pick thicknesses affect tone, with heavier picks producing a stronger, full-bodied, but darker tone. A 0.005" difference has a bigger affect on tone that you'd think. I was really surprised how different the sound was between a CT-55 and a TAD 50 on my rosewood dread.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESTLY View Post
No, it will not detract. A speed bevel is just supposed to replicate the bevel on a pick that has been broken in through playing. Picks actually get better with use. If anything, I imagine the speed bevel would improve your strumming tone. The speed bevel option seems to be very popular here on AGF.
I went with the round bevel as opposed to the right or left handed bevel. If I had gone with an x-handed bevel I would have gotten a custom engraving... This side up
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-22-2021, 10:48 AM

I haven't touched another pick since I got my Blue Chip 3 years ago. Still looks brand new too.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildF20Guy View Post
You should look at your technique. No reason why you should wear into the woods after a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
I would look at my strumming technique if I were wearing into the top at all. I've been playing for many decades and not one of my guitars shows any wear on the wood below (or above) the sound hole.
Definitely could improve my technique! The wear doesn’t stress me out enough to worry about it but I do appreciate that I experience less wear with Blue Chip picks. Thought it was an interesting benefit.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post

Not sure whether the BC subtlety changes my technique or the material is less damaging to tops. I think it’s the latter.
I think it may be the former, but it's a fascinating question either way.

I've mentioned earlier that the Blue Chip allows for a softer grip, and I feel that this improves the fluidity of the strum. For me, clearly, the BC effects my right-hand technique. If, alternately, another pick causes you to grip down more tightly, I can see where that would result in wood damage.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Definitely could improve my technique! The wear doesn’t stress me out enough to worry about it but I do appreciate that I experience less wear with Blue Chip picks. Thought it was an interesting benefit.
I do love the look of a “worn to the wood guitar” on stage. Ever since I saw SRVs strat.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:31 PM

I use the TP40, because I found the TD felt too small even though it had the same outer dimensions as the thin Dunlop picks I'd used for years. The TP size is the same length as the TD, so it's not any longer, just wider, and it feels much better in my hand. Also, 3 tips is better than one.

I'm mostly a strummer, and it was a bit of an adjustment getting used to a thicker pick, but I'd never go back. It sounds so much better.

Sometimes I notice that my Blue Chips are a little clicky, and I've found that it means I'm holding them too loosely. A slightly firmer grip and the click goes away.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I went with the round bevel as opposed to the right or left handed bevel. If I had gone with an x-handed bevel I would have gotten a custom engraving... This side up
Like you, my Blue Chips (and all my picks) have round bevels.

But as for right or left-handed bevels, it doesn't matter which side is up. The bevel is in the same place no matter which way you hold the pick.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've learned over the years to generally stay out of discussions like this, so I'll just add one quick thought.

Most people who play thinner picks do so because the material is more flexible and thus more forgiving when strumming. However, most -- almost all -- boutique pick makers don't seem to understand this and so almost none of them make high-performance picks under .90 mm. Baffling.

I've never understood this. The single most popular pick in the world is the Fender Medium, which weighs in at .73 mm thick. I can't imagine how many millions Fender sells every year. And yet almost every single high-end pick vendor in the industry completely ignores this fact. Why? Maybe someone can explain this to me someday. I've been scratching my head for six years on that one and can come up with no reasonable explanation. It's a complete no-brainer.

Enough said. Interesting discussion.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-23-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I've learned over the years to generally stay out of discussions like this, so I'll just add one quick thought.

Most people who play thinner picks do so because the material is more flexible and thus more forgiving when strumming. However, most -- almost all -- boutique pick makers don't seem to understand this and so almost none of them make high-performance picks under .90 mm. Baffling.

I've never understood this. The single most popular pick in the world is the Fender Medium, which weighs in at .73 mm thick. I can't imagine how many millions Fender sells every year. And yet almost every single high-end pick vendor in the industry completely ignores this fact. Why? Maybe someone can explain this to me someday. I've been scratching my head for six years on that one and can come up with no reasonable explanation. It's a complete no-brainer.

Enough said. Interesting discussion.

scott memmer

My try at an explanation, which is from an outsider with no industry knowledge, so it's probably something you've already considered. And this is a "why it has been the case" kind of explanation, not a "this is the way it should be to my reasoning" thing:

1. They sincerely believe thicker picks offer advantages, and by now so do some players here. (My own personal belief is that thicker picks can have advantages for some things, though I will use thinner picks for their advantages too). In creating a niche business it's helps to have a case that "I'm going to tell you something and sell you a product that the great unwashed don't yet understand."

2. Mainstream pick makers historically didn't make anything thicker than a heavy or extra heavy (even the later were difficult to find in my younger days, even if they existed in the popular brand lines). So in concert with the sincere beliefs about thicker, stiffer picks, making something that was clearly different allowed them to gain one of those unique selling propositions.

3. Bevels (symmetrical and otherwise) are easier to appreciate and create on thicker picks, and are like points 1 and 2, something that mixed "I sincerely think this is better" and "Hey, you won't find this special thing on the garden-variety pick."

I'm personally on the fence regarding bevels, particularly the asymmetrical "speed bevels." My nuttiness about picks says that materials and thickness/flex are far more important on anything below 1.5 or maybe even thicker. When you get to 3 mm or so (something I wouldn't use on guitar myself) then bevels may be important.

Now leaving off this and returning to your greater implied point: your business of "hitting them where they ain't" both in terms of materials and offering thicknesses the other smaller makers aren't offering may be another virtuous combination of following your personal observations and serving a need/desire others in the market aren't. Knowing you only from your posts here I always wish you the best, and enjoy your candor.

As to the OP's question: I'm actually trying to intentionally reestablish my strumming on acoustic guitar after decades of cross picking nearly all the time. I don't own a Blue Chip pick (thus my abstention from this thread so far), but I don't like greater than 1.5 mm picks when I'm strumming. For somethings I'll even venture below Fender Medium .73 thickness, but usually end up with something between a Fender Heavy (which is what, about .9 mm or so) and 1.5 mm, but material is important. For me, casein picks seems to have an uncanny something when strumming.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-23-2021, 12:02 PM

I also think when considering total picks sold worldwide, there are an awful lot of strictly electric players out there and I would argue the vast majority don't use anything over .88.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:07 PM

I have no idea if they are good for strumming. I would assume so. I went to their web site. I would have no idea what pick to buy without giving them a try. They could do better in that regard given the price.
Martin OM-28V
Old 04-23-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Like you, my Blue Chips (and all my picks) have round bevels.

But as for right or left-handed bevels, it doesn't matter which side is up. The bevel is in the same place no matter which way you hold the pick.
I know. I was being a wise @ss. It's what I do (so says my wife!).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I know. I was being a wise @ss. It's what I do (so says my wife!).
Ah! I should have known, being one of those myself.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 PM

Scott, my guess is that the materials that these high dollar picks are made from are likely to break when the picks are too thin, and rather than have to replace them on warranty the pick makers stay away from them entirely.

You would know better about that than I would, though.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion