The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Sweet pics from Kevin,

UV spraying equipment...pressure tank, valves, regulators, airbrush, transtint dyes, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Cool pics from a few weeks ago,

Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Ahhh those last pictures were so beautiful. I really love his bevel flutes. Great aesthetic and I'm sure it creates a lovely playing experience too. Now where's the shaded top???

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Decisions decisions,

The shaded top...is a go.

After posting a few pics a couple weeks ago and showing them to my buddies I got an outpouring of "you can't shade a top like that, it looks to beautiful already!" Or "You can't shade a Ryan!" And part of me felt the same way after seeing those pictures too...for about a week.
The thing is...I really do love shade tops and this is my guitar. Kevin knew that I was wavering on it and he was amazing (incredible dude) in not making me feel any pressure this way or that. When I did finalize my decision I texted Kevin and he called me immediately...he was fired up! I'm really excited to watch him create this shading...it's going to be deep in color but not take up much real estate of the top (unless it does!).
I tried to give Kevin full creative freedom but he insisted on doing this together (again, great dude) so I mentioned a couple things. One was that Moonglow redwood is definitely our inspiration but I don't want Kevin to copy it, I don't want my guitar to be a copy of anything. Kevin was with me in that one and then he dove into how rich and "simple" it should be (nothing simple about it, of course).
I think this week is the week. Kevin will experiment and come up with some mock-ups, one of which will be the technique that speaks the loudest to us. After that, it's off to the races!

Last edited by JJI; 02-16-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Sweet! I can't wait to see the outcome!
Old 02-18-2016, 02:45 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

These are looking awesome, can't wait to see the top. I think Baranik uses the UV finish as well and I love it.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Kevin sent these...and I got emotional (sorta)

No tears but I was speechless. It's been, as I said to a friend recently, a bit of an odyssey arriving here.
Going all out, including all of the elements in a guitar that I value most and having Kevin Ryan be the maker of these dreams is often difficult to wrap my head around.
Shading will happen next week and to hold me over Kevin sent three pictures of a guitar that is very nearly finished. A guitar that is my ultimate expression in a guitar, guided by one of the best builders around. Thank you for paying attention and commenting...the Custom Shop is quite a place and I couldn't appreciate it more.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Stunning. Cant wait to see the shading. Kevin is awesome. Congrats
Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Looking good! Can't wait for the shading.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 PM

I must confess I've been lurking on quietly on this thread for a while. What a great build thread - and what a fantastic looking guitar (well, box)! I really love Kevin's approach and aesthetics ... and the collaborative approach and JJI's enthusiasm is infectious. This one is looking really special.
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 02-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Thanks to one and all for the kind words about the guitar I am building for Josh. And thanks to you, Josh, for the privilege of building an instrument for you. I really appreciate it.

I thought it might be fun for all of us if I logged in this thread the steps and thinking behind the shading of this soundboard. The idea for this was, of course, precipitated by those rare redwood tops I found years ago, and which became the Moonglow Guitars. (If I have time, it would be fun sometime to relate the entire story behind those tops!)

At any rate, the Moonglow soundboards are indeed lovely and rare. And for years I have flirted with the idea of making a traditional sunburst guitar. So, in talking to Josh about doing something special for this guitar, it occurred to me I could catch two birds with one snare—have fun with some kind of ‘burst, AND (sort of) replicate the haunting look of the Moonglow guitars. I suggested this to Josh, and then we talked about it for a week or so. We were both intrigued, but also very keen to proceed deliberately and thoughtfully.

The fun aspect for Josh, of course, was that he would have the “first” of a new innovation in my guitars. The fun aspect for me was that I could sail my little luthierie sloop into uncharted waters again. Uncharted for ME, that is! Obviously, a ‘burst top, was around before I was born, but to make this particular ‘burst work in a way that is unique and complementary to the western red cedar, I have to approach this with a fresh perspective, (and find some new skills and methods along the way!)

As with any new path I start walking down, I have a track record of taking longer that I initially think I will. It is the triumph of hope over experience! But I now have all the materials I need (I think) to begin some R&D. I will try post some photographs of the progress along with some commentary as I figure it all out.

Again, thanks to all you guys for taking the time to care about these sorts of things. The AGF is a great community, and no small reason that the current state of luthierie remains healthy and exciting. And thanks to Josh for his great enthusiasm!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Welcome to AGF Kevin! Looking forward to reading your posts and those "behind the scenes" stories.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Nice tight-grained top. Looking forward!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-01-2016, 10:03 AM

Kevin, thanks for joining in. I know that Josh is beyond words happy to have this experience!

Thanks
Matthew
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Gametime,

As with any build the waiting is indeed the hardest part...it's crazy actually. It's been a month but today Kevin sent me two pics (too cool that the man posted, eh)
Kevin is on my guitar again and beginning the shading process! Don't know when he will show me examples but I'm fired up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop