The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Hello in There by John Prine (cover)

This song is in memory of John Prine.

Thanks for listening...

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 03:33 PM

Very nice Glenn!
Old 04-22-2021, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Very nice Glenn!
Thank you Mesa!

I'm glad you like this. Thank you for taking the time to let me know! Much appreciated!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 05:32 PM

My brother Anthony is 74 years old today. In a very melancholy way this song hits a little too close to home. John Prine was a master of looking at life and putting his beautiful, unique spin on it. Nice work Willow. You did your job well.
frankie
Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
My brother Anthony is 74 years old today. In a very melancholy way this song hits a little too close to home. John Prine was a master of looking at life and putting his beautiful, unique spin on it. Nice work Willow. You did your job well.
frankie
Thank you Frank!

I do apologize if this song is a little too difficult to take in your circumstances.

It was tough for me to sing, actually, since both of my parents died from the effects of old-age dementia not very many years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Frank! It's much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 06:50 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

Well done Glenn as usual. Being north of 70 myself, this song touches an emotion that is more sensitive the older we get. I always enjoy your playing.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadFred View Post
Well done Glenn as usual. Being north of 70 myself, this song touches an emotion that is more sensitive the older we get. I always enjoy your playing.
Hi Fred,

How wonderful to hear from you! Speaking of being north of 70, I turned 73 not too long ago. Fortunately, I was not singing about myself -- at least I didn't think I was!

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video and then comment here! It means a lot to hear from people! I really appreciate the support and your kind words!

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 PM

Great job Glenn! You sounded great - very Prine-like, but with your own style, which I very much enjoyed. Best part was the expressive look on your face as you sang - it felt like you had personal empathy or connection with the song, perhaps through someone in your life, or just remembering John Prine? It sounded great, and you played it like you meant it.

Thank you for preparing and sharing this song with us!
Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 PM

Lovely and poignant in all ways, Glenn. The lyrics are really magically expressive and beautiful in your voice and hands.
Like many, my own mother had Alzheimers and so I know first hand how folks recede into the shadows of later life. They call it "the long goodbye"......so true!
A reminder to offer a " hello" as we see friends, family and even strangers who might be on the cusp of those shadows.
Great job, Glenn!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Great job Glenn! You sounded great - very Prine-like, but with your own style, which I very much enjoyed. Best part was the expressive look on your face as you sang - it felt like you had personal empathy or connection with the song, perhaps through someone in your life, or just remembering John Prine? It sounded great, and you played it like you meant it.

Thank you for preparing and sharing this song with us!
Hi Carmel Cedar,

Thank you for watching the video and for your kind comments! Very much appreciated!

I have been thinking of doing this song for a while. I thought I would keep this very simple, just me and a guitar, and I felt that keeping the background black was better, too, to keep things simple.

It's interesting that when I stripped all kinds of other stuff away, there ends up being more emphasis on the guitar and the singing.

And the song did have some personal connections in that both of my parents passed away from the effects of old-age dementia. And aside from the issue of dementia, all of us as we age are facing a more lonely, isolated life. Our kids should grow up and go out on their own. That's what I did, that's what my kids did. It's the way things should be, but it's still hard on those left behind.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! I hope all is well in your life! I am doing well.

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Lovely and poignant in all ways, Glenn. The lyrics are really magically expressive and beautiful in your voice and hands.
Like many, my own mother had Alzheimers and so I know first hand how folks recede into the shadows of later life. They call it "the long goodbye"......so true!
A reminder to offer a " hello" as we see friends, family and even strangers who might be on the cusp of those shadows.
Great job, Glenn!
Hi Fred,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments! Well said!

I'm sorry your mother had to suffer through Alzheimer's. My dad did, as well. My mother died a few years later from what they simply called, "old-age dementia;" they never called it Alzheimer's. It seemed like the same malady to me as all the symptoms were pretty much the same. No sense going into the ugly details. As you know, this stuff is hard on families.

I appreciate that you watched and listened to the video and took time to comment here, Fred! Nice of you to provide feedback and support!

Take care,

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2021, 07:38 AM

Such a beautiful song and might be my favorite JP song. You did it very well Glenn - thanks for sharing. The guitar you chose was perfect for the song.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Such a beautiful song and might be my favorite JP song. You did it very well Glenn - thanks for sharing. The guitar you chose was perfect for the song.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well!

And yes, I thought that Martin 000-28VS worked well for this song. I don't think I have ever had a capo up on the 5th fret before with this guitar. The 12-fret neck-to-the-body design doesn't lend itself to capo use high up. Also, that mod-V neck gets thick up there and this guitar also is standard with a 1 13/16" nut. So it's a little harder to play capoed up there on the 5th fret. But... I thought it sounded great so I used it and dealt with the physical challenges.

Thank you Steve for taking the time to watch and comment!

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2021, 11:33 AM

Hi Glenn. That song hits home every time I hear it as it is so true how folks can forget the little things, such as saying hello to a stranger, especially as we get older it seems we have less communication with folks, Love the song and your version. Nicely done,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-23-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Hi Glenn. That song hits home every time I hear it as it is so true how folks can forget the little things, such as saying hello to a stranger, especially as we get older it seems we have less communication with folks, Love the song and your version. Nicely done,
Thank you Marty!

How nice to hear from you! Thanks for taking time to comment! Much appreciated!

I hope you and your family are all doing well!

Take care,

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell